User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This business of coiled RV cords has been discussed for years. And every time it comes out that our short cords we use pose no hazard. Almost all, if not all, higher end motorhomes (and even some lower end motorhomes) feature electric cord reels - they have for years. I think if there were a hazard or high risk then this just wouldn't be done; I'm sure manufactures wouldn't want that exposure. Heck - even some fifth wheel manufactures offer this option.

We're talking about RV cords that are actually pretty short compared to the rather long wires used by welders, etc. So, maybe for folks running 10's of meters of electric cord have an issue, but even then maybe there is not a risk.

Just the same, if one wants to be ultra conservative then avoid coiled cords and carry on. I just hate to see folks scared off by this as I believe it has pretty much been debunked - many times.

Just one article, from a pretty well respected individual around the RV community, offers this article....

And then there is this from another forum....

just sayin......
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    This business of coiled RV cords has been discussed for years. And every time it comes out that our short cords we use pose no hazard. Almost all, if not all, higher end motorhomes (and even some lower end motorhomes) feature electric cord reels - they have for years. I think if there were a hazard or high risk then this just wouldn't be done; I'm sure manufactures wouldn't want that exposure. Heck - even some fifth wheel manufactures offer this option.

We're talking about RV cords that are actually pretty short compared to the rather long wires used by welders, etc. So, maybe for folks running 10's of meters of electric cord have an issue, but even then maybe there is not a risk.

Just the same, if one wants to be ultra conservative then avoid coiled cords and carry on. I just hate to see folks scared off by this as I believe it has pretty much been debunked - many times.

Just one article, from a pretty well respected individual around the RV community, offers this article....

And then there is this from another forum....

just sayin......
    My Itasca Horizon motorhome had just that, a power cord on a reel 30' I think and I would reel out what was necessary. Kept a shop rag in the compartment to wipe off when I rolled it in. One thing I really miss about the motorhome. I also carried a 25' 50amp extension cord, but only used 2 times, in case the pedestal was too far for the installed cord. When I saw the electric cord reel on the web site I didn't realize it was just a storage reel. Disappointed in that.
    2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356
    2012 Primetime Crusader 355BHQ (GF's)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chunker View Post
    My Itasca Horizon motorhome had just that, a power cord on a reel 30' I think and I would reel out what was necessary. Kept a shop rag in the compartment to wipe off when I rolled it in. One thing I really miss about the motorhome. I also carried a 25' 50amp extension cord, but only used 2 times, in case the pedestal was too far for the installed cord. When I saw the electric cord reel on the web site I didn't realize it was just a storage reel. Disappointed in that.
    That was one of the things I missed the most from my Motorhomes and is why I installed one on my 5th wheel. It wouldn’t be hard to put one in the storage bay. Although it would be a bit further from the pedestal in that location. But I hardly ever use the whole length anyway so it might work.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    That was one of the things I missed the most from my Motorhomes and is why I installed one on my 5th wheel. It wouldn’t be hard to put one in the storage bay. Although it would be a bit further from the pedestal in that location. But I hardly ever use the whole length anyway so it might work.
    I don't stay in any one location more than a week typically and I've found that pedestals can be anywhere. I don't remember where the current shore power connection is on a 310GK and previous trailers have had that mid-ship and current Raptor has it well aft almost at the back. Regardless, if a person were to wire in a true power reel like in a motorhome, good motorhome, it would be a matter of running the main shore power wire to the storage bay and modifying the door or make an opening down for the cord to exit. Something very doable, but at the cost of these things that should be standard on a supposedly "luxury build".
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    You will find this to be the case until you look at rigs over $100K. Hardwired spooling reels are 3x more expensive than a winding reel.
    If you go to GD web site and do a build and price on a new Solitude, you are quickly over 100K well before adding things like paint and windows. An example of a 310GK I wind with paint, dual pane windows and generator was north of 120K. For the $$$$$$ a real power reel should be standard.

EDIT adding. I just looked up real reels and one can be had for $600+- depending on the model. Easy installation. Another real improvement would be a power water hose reel. Had that on the motorhome also and it made hooking up very easy. Just roll out desired amount of cord and hose and when leaving, power both back in. IF I get a Solitude 310GK, I'll add both. IF I keep the Raptor, I'll add the power reel but may not have room to install the water reel since the basement storage is narrow. I don't like the idea of hanging the water above the power. We'll see. Doing this mods reduces the number of tubs you carry in storage. Frees up room for important stuff like grills and beer.

The Northwood Arctic Fox top model 5th wheel, Grande Ronde (Silver Fox) has the true power cord power reel and they fall just under the 100K MSRP and typically retail for 20-30% less. Oh and they also come standard with thermal windows.
    Last edited by chunker; 12-04-2020 at 05:42 AM.
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123