User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tire advice, what would you do?

Ok I'd love to hear from the more experienced veterans on here. My Solitude is 2.5 years old and has been towed about 5K miles including the delivery trip to the dealer. It is always stored inside and I monitor tire pressures religiously, the Westlake G rated tires look brand new. The date codes are 1018 on three and 0318 on the fourth one. I'm am towing it from San Antonio to Ft Wilderness in April and allowing myself 3 days travel time to get there. I have no cushion for a blowout or related damage as family is flying in the morning after I get there so I have to be there. I plan on putting Sailuns on it this year but just debating if I should get one more trip out of the Westlakes, this will be the farthest I've ever towed it. Thoughts and advice is very much appreciated as always.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has a lot to do with your comfort level. If you are going to change them anyway, maybe before the trip will put your mind at ease. The Westlake G rated seem to be good tires, you don't hear about problems like the E rated ones. So you should be fine with them for the trip.

Sailuns are a good tire (I've had them for awhile now and no doubt they will time out before wearing out) so a few more miles wont hurt.

My feeling is the fewer "stresses" one has while traveling the better. Do what helps make the trip more enjoyable and stress "less"
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will second the fact that the "G" rated Westlake tires are not the ones that many people are having trouble with....vs...the "E" rated ones. My 2018 Momentum 394 has them on it as OEM equipment and I probably have 5000 to 5500 miles on them and I'm also planning a long trip this coming fall....Knoxville, TN area to several National Parks out west. Total trip mileage will be another 4000 miles or so on the tires and I have no plan to change them out before the trip....unless I see something between now and late summer that would cause me to rethink that plan....a cracked sidewall, bubble on the tire, etc. I do religiously use a TPMS system to monitor the tire pressure and temperature and I also check tire pressure before every trip, and during the trip. I seriously hope I don't have to replace them before the trip, as I know that I will be replacing all six tires on my Dually before heading out west. Those tires are presently sitting with approx. 45,000 miles on them, so replacing them is not optional for a safe and hopefully uneventful trip.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're planning on getting Sailuns this year anyway, get them now. If you get the new tires, you won't worry about them during the trip. If you get a blowout with the Westlakes, you will REALLY be ticked off!

But, if it were me, I'd run the Westlake G's for another year :-)
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    Ok I'd love to hear from the more experienced veterans on here. My Solitude is 2.5 years old and has been towed about 5K miles including the delivery trip to the dealer. It is always stored inside and I monitor tire pressures religiously, the Westlake G rated tires look brand new. The date codes are 1018 on three and 0318 on the fourth one. I'm am towing it from San Antonio to Ft Wilderness in April and allowing myself 3 days travel time to get there. I have no cushion for a blowout or related damage as family is flying in the morning after I get there so I have to be there. I plan on putting Sailuns on it this year but just debating if I should get one more trip out of the Westlakes, this will be the farthest I've ever towed it. Thoughts and advice is very much appreciated as always.
    Just the fact that you have publicly mentioned it obligates you to replace them now. I had this same scenario about a year ago. We took a trip to Michigan with our trailer before this one, and in my head, didn't say it out loud, should I replace the tires or can I get another one more trip out of them. Made it to Michigan just fine. On the trip home we got no more than 15 minutes from the campground and kablewy (sp) a tire came apart. Not a huge deal but it did do some damage to our vintage Airstream. Good reason to start a full restoration.

So . . . if it were me I would replace them before your trip. You would kick yourself if you didn't and there was a problem. Which there probably won't be. But you've said it out loud so who knows. Better safe and not inconvenienced than sorry.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OurNewEra View Post
    Just the fact that you have publicly mentioned it obligates you to replace them now. I had this same scenario about a year ago. We took a trip to Michigan with our trailer before this one, and in my head, didn't say it out loud, should I replace the tires or can I get another one more trip out of them. Made it to Michigan just fine. On the trip home we got no more than 15 minutes from the campground and kablewy (sp) a tire came apart. Not a huge deal but it did do some damage to our vintage Airstream. Good reason to start a full restoration.

So . . . if it were me I would replace them before your trip. You would kick yourself if you didn't and there was a problem. Which there probably won't be. But you've said it out loud so who knows. Better safe and not inconvenienced than sorry.
    Haha guess I'm busted now! As usual you all always have great advice and you are correct @JCR GD it really would lower my stress level during the trip. It would be nice to just set the cruise on 65, turn on the massaging seat and let er rip for 1200 miles. I do think I'll just go ahead and replace them before I go. I've put off installing the Nichols valve stems so I can use the Ford TPMS I ordered with the truck last year so I get 2 birds with 1 stone haha. Brian you are so right, I would be mad at myself if I didn't and something happened. I will probably post the Westlakes in the for sale section here for cheap. They're perfect for someone with a horse or cattle trailer etc.
    Jeff

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not be replacing 2.5 to 3 year old tires with 5000 miles on them. UNLESS they were known as a problem tire. From what I see on this board, the Westlake 'G' tires are a good tire.

Quote Originally Posted by OurNewEra View Post
    Just the fact that you have publicly mentioned it obligates you to replace them now.
    But ya...there is this now...lol
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    I've done that road several times especially if you are going to be going down along the Gulf into Florida. There are potholes that will swallow a Volkswagen beetle. And ruts in the roads that will throw you from side to side. You should get the best tires you can before going through Louisiana and Alabama highways.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I've done that road several times especially if you are going to be going down along the Gulf into Florida. There are potholes that will swallow a Volkswagen beetle. And ruts in the roads that will throw you from side to side. You should get the best tires you can before going through Louisiana and Alabama highways.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Thank you for the info, I've been that way 5-6 times in the last 10 years but never towing and yes it is ugly!
    Last edited by Txfivver; 01-11-2021 at 02:24 PM.
    Jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd slap the Sailuns on before the trip. What size do you want to go with..235x80 or 85's which will be a little taller. I had the 235x85x16's on my Fuzion for 3-1/2 yrs and they were great. I'll probably go with Sailuns when my Westlakes hit about 4 yrs old.
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 377MBS

2017 Ford F-350 Lariat DRW...FX4...4.10's...White Gold/Caribou with Black interior. Curt Q20 hitch. BakFlip MX4

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast