22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cpe111 View Post
    $750 for the EU2200. Get it .... I have one and have been very impressed
    LOL

He’s talking about the Predator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this may be overkill but I am considering a Honda EM 6500SX primarily for use as a back up power for my home and to use when dry camping. It runs at 62 dB at half load and will power everything on my RB 2600. Down side is the weight (230 lbs). Is anyone else using such a large generator?
    2017 Imagine 2600 RB. Reese Strait-Line Weight Distribution System w Sway Control - Trunnion Bar - 10,000 lbs GTW, 800 lbs TW
    1996 F-250 XLT Standard Cab 4x4 8' bed. 5.8L Auto/ 3.55 GR.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by keepitsimple View Post
    I know this may be overkill but I am considering a Honda EM 6500SX primarily for use as a back up power for my home and to use when dry camping. It runs at 62 dB at half load and will power everything on my RB 2600. Down side is the weight (230 lbs). Is anyone else using such a large generator?
    That's a very heavy item. I thought mine was heavy at 150lbs. How do you move that around. I use a simple ramp to push it to my pickup bed.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a pair of 6 foot aluminum ramps. They are light enough and stackable in the back of the truck. Still will require a pretty good push to get into the back of a F-250.
    2017 Imagine 2600 RB. Reese Strait-Line Weight Distribution System w Sway Control - Trunnion Bar - 10,000 lbs GTW, 800 lbs TW
    1996 F-250 XLT Standard Cab 4x4 8' bed. 5.8L Auto/ 3.55 GR.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get an adaptor like this and a fat extension cord. Then you can put your generator behind a tree and let it purr.

Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Is running a genny at its max the same as getting a 3/4 ton truck to tow a Solitude where the truck is maxed out on it's numbers. Will the smaller motor in the cheaper genny die before the bigger engine would. Will the smaller motor struggle to work as well as it should when it's being asked to work at it's max a lot.
    I would have to say it's not apples to apples. Tow ratings are mostly sales BS; generator continuous ratings are pretty accurate.
    Most modern P/U's will tow way more than they are rated for, generators won't.
    It's the surge in-rush that messes most people up when trying to run at max capacity.

My 15 year old Honda 2000i still starts 2 pulls max and runs at 1400 watts most of the time both camping and power outages,
    This goes to buying quality. If you're not maxing things out, I think the cheaper generators will work for a long time.
    I don't know anyone with a 15 year old Predator or WEN to compare notes.
    But, it you need to push the limits then you need to buy quality over price.

Honda generators are like Battle Born lithium batteries... the industry standard.
    Everyone tries to get that quality and performance at a cheaper price. (me included)
    It's just that the Honda won't die

So, as the saying goes... "buy once, cry once"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honda kool aide. No doubt they were the leader for many years, but they pretty much have stayed vanilla with few improvements or upgrades. That doesn’t mean some of the new generators are their equals ( apples) . As they age they will have have some lasting long like the Honda’s. In no way am I denigrating the “ gold standard” Honda’s but other units have gone a long ways.

We have a Westinghouse IGen 4500.....dual fuel. It has many more monitoring features than say the comparable Honda. It’s $1000 vs $3000. It runs at 52 decibels ....less than the Honda. It can run on propane so no ethanol carb issues . It’s heavy at 117 it’s but has wheels and small rams to put it in the TV.

Westinghouse/ Cummins-Onan has been making quality generators for many years and are used in high quality boats and RV. They are not Chinese knock offs but have developed substantial credibility and Rand D in generators .
    Honda doesn’t specialize in generators where this company does.

Do your research and drink water not kool aide.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    Honda kool aide.
    That's pretty funny. Thanks for the early morning chuckle.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deeuubee View Post
    My 15 year old Honda 2000i still starts 2 pulls max and runs at 1400 watts most of the time both camping and power outages,
    This goes to buying quality. If you're not maxing things out, I think the cheaper generators will work for a long time.
    I don't know anyone with a 15 year old Predator or WEN to compare notes.
    But, it you need to push the limits then you need to buy quality over price.

Honda generators are like Battle Born lithium batteries... the industry standard.
    Everyone tries to get that quality and performance at a cheaper price. (me included)
    It's just that the Honda won't die

So, as the saying goes... "buy once, cry once"
    I have to agree 100%. 20 years ago this month I got into racing karts all over Tx and La with my daughter. I bought a new Honda 2000I to power tools and air compressor in our kart trailer. It ran pretty much non stop for three days every weekend for 5 years. Sold to a guy we raced with who also had one and built homes. He still has it and still uses them both at job sites 20 years later! They got one oil change a year and a sparkplug about every five. That gennie is the reason I bought two new 2200iu's last year just to have for power outages and backup to the Onan. That Honda kool-aide is pretty tasty in my book.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Honda has great anecdotal backup by its users. I also have one that I’ve used for over 10 years. I support your findings.

But to use that information to denigrate those purchasing other generators as wasting their money does not flow from the fact the Honda’s they have were so good. In fact there have been many improvements made by RELIABLE generator companies like Onan and Cummings. These are some of those “ other” generators being made fun of as “ you get what you pay for”

You saw this argument in the computer industry when Dell / HP/ IBM ( Lenovo) were ar one time the “ gold standard” . Well made they were once the leaders. But they failed to advance as fast as other companies and in addition were arrogant in keeping their price points high and they no longer are the “ gold standard “ alone.

Despite that FACT, I did take the plunge for the cheaper Westinghouse / Onan-Cummins generator which had many more features than the comparable Honda at $2000 less. ( I could buy one every 5 years to equal the Honda’s cost ) I could have an extra Westinghouse at home or to parallel and still be $1000 to the good. I can run propane instead of ethanol laced fuel.

The dinosaurs ( Honda) remain good reliable power producers at 3 times the cost of the other generators. But that doesn’t mean the new models are any less reliable.

I just say open your mind up that there are other competitive models out there and certainly less expensive. Do your due diligence and look beyond the marketing slogan Koolaide and open you mind that others have made improvements on a good thing ( Honda’s)
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast