User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep the 5th. wheel and tow or change over to a Motorhome

I am looking for input from those of you that have had both a motorhome and a fifth wheel. MY wife is having some back issues, which has me wondering if they may be related to bouncing around in the front of the truck while we are towing and or sightseeing. My specific question relates to the comfort of riding in the motorhome as opposed to a tow vehicle.
    I have no interest in changing tow vehicles, just want to know if the driving and riding in a m/h is comfortable.

Gordon Fuchs
    Gordo Fuchs
    Northfield, Ohio 44067
    2015 305RE Moryde I/S, Electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't help you with your specific question but I am very familiar with back pain and how it can negatively affect the enjoyment of traveling and site seing. I now have to stop every 1.5 hr to stretch and walk for 5min. After 5min I'm good for another 1.5hrs.
    They are not cheap but could be an alternative to changing your setup. There's different brands and option for seats. Here's an example. I'm actually entertaining this for myself. https://www.suburbanseats.com/c/medi...up-truck-seats

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have back issues also, likely the bouncing is not the cause but might increase the pain. My back problems caused us to do pllenty of research to make sure we got the smoothest travel we could. That lead us to the airsafe hitch and it does make a difference in the bounce you experience in the truck. Then it was time to look at new trucks... the F350 or the GMC 35oo Denali.. soon as we got going in the test drive the GMC Denali was a clear winner in driving comfort and smooth ride ( we test drove in MI on some pretty rough roads)

The combo of the GMC and AirSafe hitch makes a huge difference on my back over our old combo of an F350 and the same hitch. I can feel if the Air is not at the right pressure and then all it takes is to either add or remove a bit of air to the hitchn .

Another hitch to consider is the Comfort Ride hitch which has sealed air cells. If we had learned about that one before we bought the AirSafe the decision would have been difficult between tthe 2 hitches..
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gordofuchs View Post
    I am looking for input from those of you that have had both a motorhome and a fifth wheel. MY wife is having some back issues, which has me wondering if they may be related to bouncing around in the front of the truck while we are towing and or sightseeing. My specific question relates to the comfort of riding in the motorhome as opposed to a tow vehicle.
    I have no interest in changing tow vehicles, just want to know if the driving and riding in a m/h is comfortable.

Gordon Fuchs
    Gordo - we did not have A class motor homes but did have 3 different class Cs over couple decades. The rides is all 3 were soft and very comfortable. Two were on Ford chassis and one was on a GMC.

This is one thing we noticed between the pulling the fiver and the motorized units. We all who have fivers are quite familiar to differing degrees how pulling the fiver bounces back and forth and "bucks" at times even with the best hitches on some challenging road conditions.

Go test drive a motorized of most any size (generally the bigger the better) and see how you feel the comparisons.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just wanted to bring this back to the top of the heap. I know this forum is a Grand Design one, but I respect the opinions of the members.

Thank You.

Gordon Fuchs
    Gordo Fuchs
    Northfield, Ohio 44067
    2015 305RE Moryde I/S, Electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had a A class Georgetown gas motor home, 2 bumper pull toyhaulers and now have a 5th wheel toyhauler. For our application and comfort, the 5th wheel is my choice.

Never had a diesel pusher, that might sway my decision.
    2020 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually
    2018 351M Momentum Toy Hauler
    2015 Can Am Turbo Maverick - sold
    2019 Can Am X3 XRS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This might be an interesting video to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyBx-aEpD2w
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gordofuchs View Post
    I just wanted to bring this back to the top of the heap. I know this forum is a Grand Design one, but I respect the opinions of the members.

Thank You.

Gordon Fuchs
    Gordo - just thought of this abit ago.

Both Dennis & Ellie @CWSWine and Pat & Marlene @Gyro Gearloose both moved to motorized. Dennis and Ellie to a Fleetwood a couple/few years ago and pat and Marlene moving (just recently or doing so now) to an Itascsa class A as I recall. Both of these members were quality posters and can share some valuable information for you......I'm sure they will be happy to do so. Possibly you may want to contact them for some feedback on your questions and others which may come up.

There have been a couple others who have moved from a towable to a motorized but I cannot think of them now. If I do recall, I will share those if your wish.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've gone back and forth regarding switching to a diesel pusher. The positives are there seems to be more interior living space in the DP. The master bedrooms tend to have really nice power reclining beds. They have washer/dryers. The bathrooms are bigger and more luxurious. The finishes are better. The interiors just seem much more open.

However since we have 3 kinds, I'm just not comfortable having them riding in the back of a MH. Sure they have seat belts on the sofas, but AFAIK none of the class A's have been safety crash tested. And when they do crash (seldom) the whole thing just falls apart. Our truck OTOH, has safety air bags all around, and it's been crash tested to meet NHTSA guidelines. The kids are in a 3 point seatbelt.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we were ever to go to a motorized rv it would be a super c. With those you are not on top of your bumper. You would have plenty of metal around you protecting you. Get one with a semi chassis and you will have one that will last a very long time. They are easy to work on too, just open the hood. There are plenty of garages that can work on that drive train wherever you go.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast