User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Talbots

Towing Capacity Issue?

Hi folks,

We are in the market to upgrade our 5th wheel (2006 KZ Durango), and have fallen in love with the Momentum 385TH. One of the challenges we are trying to work through with the dealer is the towing capacity of our current truck (2011 dodge 3500 DRW mega cab short box), looks like we are only rated tow 13,000 lbs and the 385th weighs 15,000lbs dry.

My question is, do I really need a 4500 or 5500 series truck before I can legally tow this unit, and if I choose to proceed with the purchase using my current truck, do I risk being uninsured if we were in an accident?

We really love the unit and want to make it work, but can't upgrade the truck and 5th wheel at this time.

Any feedback / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thx,
    Shawn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the insurance finds you were overweight, I'm sure they would use that as an excuse not to cover. Towing capacity will depend on the drivetrain and gearing. If it's a diesel with 4.10 gears, it looks like towing capacity is about 16,500. With 3.73 gears it looks like 13,000. Maybe there are some Dodge gurus out there that can help? I would have thought a Dodge dually diesel would handle more than 13,000. Good luck.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Talbots
    I thought it would handle more also. I know it can safely handle the extra weight, just don't want to risk being uninsured knowing that we are overweight in the unlikely event of an accident.

Do you know if that would put our insurance at risk, or just risk getting an overweight ticket from law enforcement?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Talbots View Post
    I thought it would handle more also. I know it can safely handle the extra weight, just don't want to risk being uninsured knowing that we are overweight in the unlikely event of an accident.

Do you know if that would put our insurance at risk, or just risk getting an overweight ticket from law enforcement?
    The risk is there for both. Unlikely......but still there. Of course, there's always the risk we could get hit by lightening too
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI Shawn!

You definitely do NOT need a 4500 or 5500.I am towing my Solitude with a similar RAM as you with a 4.10 differential that gives me a GTW: 16,400Lbs & GCWR: 24,000Lbs so you should have similar ratings assuming you have a diesel. And mine is only single rear wheels (SRW).

I was trying to figure out what your GTW (Gross Trailer Weight) and GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) but I didn't know if your RAM was an SLT, diesel or gasoline, automatic or standard, 2WD or 4x4, and your differential ratio. Get that info and check out the "2011 RAM Specs Weights Tow Payload" starting on page 15 to figure out your towing capacities: http://www.media.chrysler.com/dcxms/..._HD_Towing.pdf. If your tow capacity is not high enough due to your differential rating, ask your RAM dealer how much it would be to change your differential. It should be cheaper than buying a new truck.

If you do look at the 2014 models, check out the tow ratings: https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/tow...wing.Specs.pdf

If you need help, you can PM me.

[QUOTE=Talbots;16371]Hi folks,

We are in the market to upgrade our 5th wheel (2006 KZ Durango), and have fallen in love with the Momentum 385TH. One of the challenges we are trying to work through with the dealer is the towing capacity of our current truck (2011 dodge 3500 DRW mega cab short box), looks like we are only rated tow 13,000 lbs and the 385th weighs 15,000lbs dry.

My question is, do I really need a 4500 or 5500 series truck before I can legally tow this unit, and if I choose to proceed with the purchase using my current truck, do I risk being uninsured if we were in an accident?
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPSŪ Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=ACDW-Ottawa;16376]HI Shawn!

You definitely do NOT need a 4500 or 5500.I am towing my Solitude with a similar RAM as you with a 4.10 differential that gives me a GTW: 16,400Lbs & GCWR: 24,000Lbs so you should have similar ratings assuming you have a diesel. And mine is only single rear wheels (SRW).

I was trying to figure out what your GTW (Gross Trailer Weight) and GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) but I didn't know if your RAM was an SLT, diesel or gasoline, automatic or standard, 2WD or 4x4, and your differential ratio. Get that info and check out the "2011 RAM Specs Weights Tow Payload" starting on page 15 to figure out your towing capacities: http://www.media.chrysler.com/dcxms/..._HD_Towing.pdf. If your tow capacity is not high enough due to your differential rating, ask your RAM dealer how much it would be to change your differential. It should be cheaper than buying a new truck.

If you do look at the 2014 models, check out the tow ratings: https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/tow...wing.Specs.pdf

If you need help, you can PM me.

Hi folks,

Just a quick note...

Your 2010 Mega cab does NOT have a CumminGs in it, as listed in your signature line.

It is a Cummins engine. Just a pet peeve of most people that own these trucks....

Also, the tow rating for a 2011 Mega, DRW 4X4 6.7 diesel with 3.92 gears is 13,000lbs. If you have the 4.10 gears, it jumps to 16,500lbs. Don't forget about the empty pin weight of a 385 Momentum is 3700lbs....
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Talbots
    Thanks for the help and sorry, but not sure how to PM yet.

The chart is helpful, but want to make sure that I am reading it correctly and not missing anything.

Our truck is a diesel, automatic, Laramie, 373 gears and 4WD.

Looks like I am restricted to a GCWR of 21,000 and a trailer weight of 12,950.

Based on that, looks like I would have to replace the rear end.

Thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. Thats how I read the document too.
    Sorry, but more bad news. Because you have 4WD, both differentials, the front and rear need to be changed to a 4.10. They both have to match. At least thats what my Dodge dealer told me. A 4.10 diff will be; GCWR: 26,000 & GTW: 17,950 (more than mine and the 2014 can tow even more).
    Check pricing to change the differentials at the RAM dealer and also private garages or places like Midas (USA and Canada warranty) as they might be cheaper.

Im curious to know how much it is to change the gearing ratio. Do you need new diffs or do they just change some gears in the diff?

You might want to consider buying a new 2014 as the incentives are amazing, free diesel engine and zero or close to zero financing. The financing ma make it easier to afford if spread out over a few more years. Or sell your and buy a used 2011 or 2013 RAM might gets a good deal.

I will PM you the document with annotations tomorrow just to confirm we are reading same info. That way, you will also get to learn how to send a PM

Thanks for the help and sorry, but not sure how to PM yet.

The chart is helpful, but want to make sure that I am reading it correctly and not missing anything.

Our truck is a diesel, automatic, Laramie, 373 gears and 4WD.

Looks like I am restricted to a GCWR of 21,000 and a trailer weight of 12,950.

Based on that, looks like I would have to replace the rear end.

Thanks again.
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPSŪ Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

overpolished
    Hi Shawn,

Here is the info for your truck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011RAMTOWING.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	768

You can find the entire towing specs here for 2011 - http://www.media.chrysler.com/dcxms/..._HD_Towing.pdf

You would also have trouble in the pin weight arena with your truck and a 385TH.

The 2013-2015 RAM 3500 would have more than enough capacity to tow a 385TH.... in fact, it, along with a 379FL and 368RD are on my finalist list.

I would not tow overweight... the cost difference of a new truck is just not worth the risk to my family, other drivers, and my retirement accounts.

Talbots
    Thanks for the feedback, we are going to try and find a 355th as I think I will be ok from a legal towing capacity standpoint with that unit......we just really fell in love with the 385th floor plan and features.

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast