User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black tank sensor cleaning

My black tank sensor quit working on my 29rs the first time out. I hate it that the sensors always read full. I have read about the GEO method and it might work but because my 29rs is stationary wanted a better way.

I hooked up my water hose to the black water flush and started to fill the tank. After 30 minutes I still couldn't see or hear water in the toilet. I figure that there is a back flow valve on the black water flush inlet so I took the hose inside and filled it up from the toilet. I then let the tank set all night. I dumped the tank this morning and the sensor now works. So good old water by itself works fine!

My plan now is to use lots of water with each flush and if I have trouble again do the exact same thing.
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on cleaning your sensor....your victory will be short lived though. I gave up on it as have just about everyone else. To much "debris" floating around in that tank that messes up the sensor. I keep track of level by the calendar. I know we can go about two weeks before tank needs emptying. Then I empty and flush and repeat.
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS
    TV 2017 Nissan Titan XD CC Diesel 4x4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my limited experience, I’ve found that water is your friend when it comes to the black tank...and lots of it!!!
    Vince and Peg
    Kennedy (Bernese Mountain Dog)
    2017 Chevy Suburban Premier Edition w/max tow pkg.
    2018 GD Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceB View Post
    In my limited experience, I’ve found that water is your friend when it comes to the black tank...and lots of it!!!
    X2 water is the secret. I've been using 2 capfulls of cheap laundry detergent, too, and it works well. I run the tank flush while draining and I quickly see clean water. After dumping, I let the flush hose run a bit then close the black tank valve and go inside and dump detergent in the toilet then go back outside and turn off the tank flush. That seems to be about the right amount of water to start with.

This morning I tried dishwasher pods and hope they work as well as the laundry detergent.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    This morning I tried dishwasher pods and hope they work as well as the laundry detergent.
    I've used dishwasher detergent (liquid) to try to clean a stubborn-sensor gray tank. I used a cup or two a bunch of times, despite warnings I see from time to time about only using "gentle" detergents in the tanks. I wonder what those warning people think is not "dishwasher safe" in our holding tanks.

So I did it many times and my gray tank didn't burst or fall out of the trailer. On the other hand, it didn't work! Very first use of the trailer tank indicated 3/4 full and nothing I did for months afterwards would bring it back to empty again.

Why does GD bother? I would happily pay a little more to have proper working sensors and to NOT have the frustration that these ones bring.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    I've used dishwasher detergent (liquid) to try to clean a stubborn-sensor gray tank. I used a cup or two a bunch of times, despite warnings I see from time to time about only using "gentle" detergents in the tanks. I wonder what those warning people think is not "dishwasher safe" in our holding tanks.

So I did it many times and my gray tank didn't burst or fall out of the trailer. On the other hand, it didn't work! Very first use of the trailer tank indicated 3/4 full and nothing I did for months afterwards would bring it back to empty again.

Why does GD bother? I would happily pay a little more to have proper working sensors and to NOT have the frustration that these ones bring.
    I'm disappointed to hear that the dishwasher soap didn't work, but I've had good results with the laundry soap. A couple of times each year I add a couple of caps of Calgon water softener and I think that is included in the dw pods.

I think the real secret is get the tank clean then use lots of water. I still sometimes have a sensor stick, but they generally work pretty well if I do my part.

Someone is going to make a fortune if they come up with a retrofit sensor that can be installed from the top of the tank. I was working in my basement yesterday and noticed the holes in the floor were large enough that I could reach down and touch the tank. It should be possible to drill the top of the tank and insert a capacitance type probe through this hole.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use Dawn liquid dish soap and only Dawn, Somehow it is different than the others and works well. Before each trip I add 5 gallons and a cup of the Dawn dish soap. Rarely do I have a sensor issue. It also breaks down the paper and solids and keeps things smelling OK.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are the sensors located in the tanks? Sidewall? Top looking down?

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a losing battle that you'll fight to a point but in the end there is no winning this war.

Our momentum has the washer dryer plumbed to the rear grey black tank for the rear bathroom. 99% of the contents of that tank is soapy water from a full sized 4.5 washer. I still have sensors that show 33% or 66% depending on the day after I dump.

We do a lot of laundry. If that isn't going to clean the sensors, nothing is going to keep them clean.

We full-time so the tanks get a lot of use.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second the motion for using Dawn dish soap. When leaving a campground I will empty tanks (black first and then grey part way thru the black) and then close levers and do black tank flush a few times. Making sure the levers are closed, I then go into the trailer and pour 5-10 gallons of water and Dawn in the toilet. The sloshing action on the tow home should clean things up and when I get home I will drain tanks. Always seems that tanks never empty fully so I try again at home. I let the gray water run into the woods and the black into the neighbor's garden. He thinks he has the best soil in the county.

Just kidding. I'd never empty gray water on my property.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast