User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to Haul a Canoe while towing a 5th Wheel Trailer?

Hello, I'm towing a 5th wheel trailer (Reflection 293RES) with a short box truck. I have a 15.5' canoe that i'd like to bring along on our camping trips. What do i need to do to to be able to haul it safely?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SLFitzpatrick View Post
    Hello, I'm towing a 5th wheel trailer (Reflection 293RES) with a short box truck. I have a 15.5' canoe that i'd like to bring along on our camping trips. What do i need to do to to be able to haul it safely?
    Sorry, I can help with your question, but I'll just point out if you're talking about a double tow (another towed vehicle behind the primary one), just be aware that it's illegal to do that in some states (if you're headed here).

I know a former member here used to have a Reflection fifth wheel that he traded for a Reflection trailer so that he could carry his boat on top of his truck.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably the most practical way is over the cab with a mount at the front bumper. Google canoe rack 5th wheel and you’ll see plenty of examples.
    Last edited by jkwilson; 12-22-2019 at 11:01 AM.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's asking a lot without major mods I think. How about fastening it to the ladder? I often see kayaks carried this way. In fact it may be cheaper and easier to get yourself a kayak. From the specs the trailer is nearly 12' to the roof. I would attach it so it doesn't catch air (keel to the front) and be cautious when going under overpasses and tunnels. I believe the minimum standard for trucks is 13'-6".
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    From the specs the trailer is nearly 12' to the roof. I would attach it so it doesn't catch air (keel to the front) and be cautious when going under overpasses and tunnels. I believe the minimum standard for trucks is 13'-6".
    Oh oh !!
    At almost 16 ft long ANY manner of attaching a canoe to the ladder will result in the bottom and/ or the top of the canoe directly in the force of increasing wind resistance especially at 60 mph !!
    Say goodbye to both , IMO...
    Suggestion for a kayak is much better choice, Lol !

Michael

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Previously known as mikgala

F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat Super Cab LB wt 152K - 25 row Ford tranny cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 high performance Super Chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks

2017 Reflection 307 MKS 9,875 UVW / 12,995 GVWR / 1,605 Pin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done this with a single "over the cab" cargo mount rail, and a front mounted hitch and "bed extender" mounted vertically. I recently changed trucks and no one has made a front hitch to fit my 2020 GM yet, so no pictures I'm afraid. I used that setup for two years, but only to transport my kayaks (13.5') to my seasonal RV site, along with the 5th wheel. Once the trailer is parked I put the bed extender horizontal on the rear hitch mount for daily transport.
    Mike & Marta
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    2020 Silverado 3500HD CC standard bed Duramax/Allison
    Comfort Ride 184 hitch

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only time I've seen anyone carry a canoe that long with a 5th is on the roof of the camper. I personally wouldn't want to muscle the canoe up there and off as part of my vacation...

His and her kayaks is much easier on a truck cab roof rack. You can use a hitch mount rack with a front receiver and a single crossbar on the cab roof also. I have also seen a lot of 5ers and MHs using the VertiYak mount.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might get some suggestions from @chris

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...848#post228848
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SLFitzpatrick View Post
    As an avid solo canoe and touring kayak paddler, I have resigned myself to carrying a See Eagle Fast Track in the basement vs the overcab method. Unless I was just going to go to a summer destination and not travel around. By the time you buy the rack and have to deal with hauling up on truck and down, the inflatable is much easier. If I was going to do some major mileage or canoe camping, will rent one from an outfitter.
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW Diesel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we first start out we had a long canoe and carried it with an over the cab rack. When I backed over the canoe and crushed it we went with an inflatable white water kayak instead.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0939.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	23953
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast