User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Under sink water filter

Has anyone installed an under-sink water filter system under the island sink? If so, any tips?
    Jerry and Jack (Standard Schnauzer)

Currently in Benson, AZ

2018 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have. I installed a GE brand RO system. One of the best upgrades I've made.

My tips if you do this:
    * Reinforce the bottom and sides of the under sink cabinet with 1/2" or better furniture grade plywood (that will look nice stained). For added support, frame it with 2x3 boards, which is what I did. This is done to accept mounting of filters and take the weight of a water tank.
    * Screw / attach velcro to the plywood under the sink to secure filters and tanks during transport. This worked well for me.
    * The sink counter is a poly material. Drill a pilot hole for your filter faucet. Then when doing the 1" or 1 1/4" hole, use a keyhole drill bit. Apply duct tape to the are of the counter you want to punch through to prevent scoring outside of the hole.
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockhound 7 View Post
    Has anyone installed an under-sink water filter system under the island sink? If so, any tips?
    One of the best mods that I did. No more carrying heavy 5 gallon water jugs and finding a place to put it. I installed a rainfresh system that is rated for treated or untreated water, even from rivers or lakes.

- I glued a piece of 1x3 between the outer panel and inner panel on the left side of the cabinet to support the weight of the filters and give me something to mount the filter housing to. Used Gorilla wood glue for this. Made it very snug length wise and once it was in I screwed it to the inner panel. Also used screws to reinforce the inner panel staples to the frame of the cabinet.
    - As chemist308 stated drill a pilot hole into the counter and then drill the full hole. Just take your time and drill slowly so you don't "burn" the counter material. Make sure you mounting is not between the counter plywood and bare counter underneath because it will give you problems installing the tap. I drilled where I could fully install the tap to the counter and not the plywood.
    - Get the necessary pex fittings and pipe to tap into the soft hose cold water line. Use this fitting to transition from the soft hose to the pex. https://www.homedepot.ca/product/sha...ter/1001012681 The Butyle side of the fitting is larger to accommodate the larger diameter of the soft pipe and not leak.
    - I also used this shutoff valve so I can winterize without having the filters full of antifreeze and I can also change of the filters without shutting the water off to the whole trailer. https://www.homedepot.ca/product/wat...lve/1000132292
    - I also put some silicone plumbers lube into the O-rings of the push fittings to make it a lot easier to push in the tubing for the hookup.
    - I thought about a velcro strap to hold the filters but I have towed 9000 km (5600 miles) even down I75 in Detroit and I90 between Buffalo and Erie PA which are some horrible roads and the reinforcement, glue and mounting have not moved.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a whole-house filter with a charcoal element.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you go with a reverse osmosis system know that for every gallon of water you clean 2 gallons are sluffed off. Tends to fill you gray water tanks if they are not open.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    I installed a rainfresh system that is rated for treated or untreated water, even from rivers or lakes.
    Which one? Two-stage or three-stage?

Thanks.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Which one? Two-stage or three-stage?

Thanks.
    We went with the 2 stage from Canadian Tire.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/r...1001p.html#srp

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a whole house grit filter but I only want to filter the drinking water for taste here in Benson. It's a municipal water system so I don't need to clean up the toilet, shower, or wash machine water.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbopp View Post
    I use a whole-house filter with a charcoal element.
    Jerry and Jack (Standard Schnauzer)

Currently in Benson, AZ

2018 Reflection 315RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went with Clearsourse 2 stage. I don't want any contaminants in any of my plumbing.
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockhound 7 View Post
    We recommend the Aqua-Sana filters ($100-150 on Ebay. We have installed the Aqua-Sana two-stage filters on our last two RV's. We can positively say that our iced tea is no longer cloudy, and after the winterization the tell-tale taste of the pink stuff is filtered out. My coffee tastes like our reverse osmosis filter at home. Our first filter was a pain to install because under our sink was storage for pots and pans...

In our current unit, a Solitude 379FL with an island sink, the installation was very simple. The walls of the island are two layers of thick board. Mounting the filter unit to the inside of the island is two screws with keyhole slots. The cold water line is right there. I cut the cold water line, inserted a SharkBite tee fitting that connected to a 1/4 inch petcock valve through a reduction fitting. The valve has a 1/4 inch compression fitting outlet that connects to the filter inlet tubing. Winterization involves turning off the petcock and removing the filter canisters. I made two heavy tubes that fin inside the canisters without the filters that open the valve so I can blow them free of water. If that is too much work then both tubes are quick-connect so the entire unit can be removed with the two screws (located behind the canisters) and taken indoors for the winter. My brother got lazy and didn't take the unit indoors for the winter. He ended up buying a new one!

As for mounting the counter-top valve, please heed the advice of all of these posts. Buy a new drill bit for the final size (I believe the faucet requires a 3/4 inch hole). You want a very sharp bit. Start with a small pilot hole and increase sizes up to the final size. Take much care to put the hole where it will miss the sink flange. The sink is much wider than the bowls!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aq-5200_55_960a.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	24050Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191228_211958.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	24051

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast