User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent M View Post
    Just wanted some input on this subject from folks. I have made up my mind on the subject, but am not opposed to learning from you good people. So, with my first rig, I added a 45-gallon inbed tank for additional fuel. It was quite handy to me because I just prefer not to stop from campground to campground when traveling. I mean, we have and I'm not afraid to get fuel enroute, but it's just not my preference. There were countless times I pulled off a remote exit just to turn the valve on my extra tank on and let it enter the truck. I don't think I really needed more than 10 or so gallons, over the truck's stock tank, in almost all cases to make it to the next campground. I had an 08 F250.

Now, I have an 18 F250 and I'm thinking thinking I don't want to add mounted tank, but I like the idea of extra fuel for those times I'm running low, in a remote area, traveling on a Sunday in some areas, or simply just to have it for any case. So, why not just use a tank strapped in the bed of the truck? Something like the "Moeller Portable Fuel Tanks, Sight Gauge, Seamless, EPA Compliant", a 12-gallon tank that can sit in the corner of the bed in front of the hitch. That was a quick Amazon search, not set on it.

Are any of you traveling with extra fuel? If so, what do you use. If not, why not have the extra insurance? Thank you for your valued opinions.
    Brent
    Our 2020 Silverado 3500 HD has a 36 gal fuel tank. We've also added a 60 gal external tank/truck box for a little extra peace of mind on the road.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had my stock 32-gallon tank replaced with a Titan 55-gallon tank. So glad I did, it has been a godsend.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentService View Post
    I replaced my 26 gal mid ship tank with the Titan 60 gal. which leaves more room in the bed.
    Mind if I ask your costs for the project, tank and install?
    Brent & Gina
    2018 Ford F250 PSD Crew Cab
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My truck has the 48 gallon tank but I too prefer not to hassle with refueling on the road if I can help it. I carry these which gives me 10 extra gallons or about 100 miles more range if needed. They really don't take up that much bed space.

https://www.amazon.com/VP-Gallon-Squ...s%2C163&sr=8-2
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2020 Ford has the 34 gal tank. So far I have put 30 gallons max in it. Fuel gauge said 55 miles to empty when I filled it. So if I was getting 17mpg at the time that's close enough for me. 17 x 3 = 51 miles to empty.

I carry a couple of jerry cans with me for an emergency
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mind if I ask your costs for the project, tank and install?
    Not at all. It was $1667.00 and change with installation. The tank was around $1200. Could have done it myself but my time was worth more than their cost plus it came with a warranty. The only thing they would not do was reset the computer to read 60 gallons. I will get that done next time when I service the vehicle at the dealership.
    Last edited by SilentService; 06-29-2020 at 02:05 PM.
    Tim & Lori
    2016 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7L Platinum/60 gal Titan tank
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    Haloview MC7108 rear and side cameras
    TST 507 4 Sensor Tire Monitoring System with Color Display

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentService View Post
    Not at all. It was $1667.00 and change with installation. The tank was around $1200. Could have done it myself but my time was worth more than their cost plus it came with a warranty. The only thing they would not do was reset the computer to read 60 gallons. I will get that done next time when I service the vehicle at the dealership.
    How does one go about getting it installed? Call Titan for a retailer/installer is an assumption, but might as well ask you. I am very interested in this.
    Brent & Gina
    2018 Ford F250 PSD Crew Cab
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does one go about getting it installed? Call Titan for a retailer/installer is an assumption, but might as well ask you. I am very interested in this.
    The company it self does not do installations. I wish they did since they are only 4 hours from me. Go to their website and click on the "Dealer Location" tab for installers near you. You can call Titan as well if you have more questions.
    FYI the 60 gal is fairly new for a short bed and you will lose about 2" of clearance. So far has not been an issue for me while off road.
    Last edited by SilentService; 06-29-2020 at 02:55 PM.
    Tim & Lori
    2016 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7L Platinum/60 gal Titan tank
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    Haloview MC7108 rear and side cameras
    TST 507 4 Sensor Tire Monitoring System with Color Display

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There should be a discussion about how the diesel is transferred from the holding tank to the truck's underbelly tank. AFAIK the two options are:
    1) active pump such as the one TransferFlow uses
    2) gravity fed

The gravity fed systems are 50%+ less expensive than the TransferFlow. TransferFlow has on its website, a quote about some DOT regulation that says it's not legal to do gravity fed. However, I looked into this and read the actual statute, which actually refers to GASOLINE, not diesel. So AFAIK gravity fed diesel auxillary tanks are perfectly legal.

The choice comes down to cost and convenience. The gravity fed is just that. You open a valve and the fuel is fed by gravity. The TransferFlow has the fancy auto-feed and fuel gauge.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    We went a little more extreme - https://www.transferflow.com/shop/pr...244#080BL13244

Our main tank is 32 gallons, then we have another 50 gallons in this, plus 50 gallons of ethanol-free unleaded for our ATV, generator, etc. It was well worth it as we may boondock for extended periods.
    That's what I added to our truck after the first trip to Arizona and back. The second trip with 80+ gallons available was just so much more pleasant with being able to choose the station. Pricey, but the simplicity and warrantee is worth the cost.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2018 Dodge 3500 DRW
    2019 Reflection 337RLS

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast