User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit1 View Post
    Last year, when I needed new tires, I brought my TT to a nearby shop (Pete's Tire Srrvice - Freeville, NY) that has tires for pretty much every application. I jacked the trailer (outdoors) and removed each tire; their tech did the dismount, mount, and balancing. Five tirrs in just less than an hour.
    Interesting option I hadn't thought of.
    Thanks
    Terry, Patty, Sophie (Great Pyrenees) and Tessa (German Shep/Pyr Mix)
    2020 Reflection 297RSTS
    2021 F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW 6.75' bed /6.7L Diesel/3.55 electronic locking axle

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KB5SET View Post
    I would check on warranty terms to see if you are covered for a DYI.

I have a 2019 297 RSTS and really enjoy it. Two of my Westlakes failed at about 5,000 miles.
    These tires are terrible. Watch them closely. I replaced all four with better tires.
    I'm watching my TPMS like a hawk and may very well replace next spring. Some have had good luck and no issues and I have seen posts of the opposite as well.
    2020 Reflection 297RSTS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RRtoRV View Post
    I just replaced my Westlakes with Goodyear Endurance tires on my 2950RL. The Westlakes look fine until they come off the rims. Then their true colors shone with the weak sidewalls. I used Discount Tire and had it done at the store. Price is right and why deal with the hassle of jacking up and removing the tires yourself. That part is free anyway.
    Just be sure they balance them. Some techs think not to as it is a trailer. Your dishes, and LLC those screws will thank you!
    Yes. I have Discount by me with space to take my trailer so may very well hit them up in the spring. For $500-600 it's not worth my worry and potential damage.
    2020 Reflection 297RSTS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm telling you guys, it's just not worth saving the $500 to run with the crappy Westlakes and have to worry about a potentially dangerous blowout on the road.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trkester View Post
    I have a 2020 297RSTS we just got last October. Only been on 2 trips so far that were less than 2 hours from home each time and so far so good. But it has 15" Westlake's and of course I have read all the tire discussions.

What I have not seen (and have searched to the best of my ability) is any discussion over HOW to replace the tires when the time comes be that sooner or later. By how, I mean:
    Take the trailer to my RV dealer?
    Take the trailer to the local tire store?
    Take the wheels off myself and take them to a local tire store?

I worry a tire shop may not know the proper jack points on the trailer (not on the axle directly).
    Not sure if my Grand Design dealer will be keen on doing the swap if I don't buy the tires from them and not sure they will be able to get what I want at a reasonable price.
    I'm fully capable of pulling one tire to have it fixed or replaced but not sure about 4. I guess I could do them one at a time. 😁

Thoughts and experience with my newbie dilemma?

And apologies if this has been asked before and I just can't find it.

Thanks
    Terry
    Hi Terry... here in Arizona as well as many other states we have Discount Tires stores. Even though I’m in the automotive business, they offer the best service and pricing comparable to other store. We had 4 new tires installed in about 49 minutes. I would stock with a tire company that you can get regional services from later on. Good luck!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I worked For a large tire company in Canada for years. We routinely changed the tires on all types of RV’s. Our technicians were trained to change/fix all types. In all the years I worked there, I honestly can’t remember one issue with any of them. What I liked so much myself was they would recommend tires based on what your plans were with your rig (off road, boondocking, mainly RV parks, snow, etc.). We upgraded our tires on our reflection 320MKS and have never regretted it. You just need to find a good shop.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tires

Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I pull my tires and take them to a tire shop. I lift the RV with the jacks and am fortunate to have jack stands large enough to then assist in holding the RV up.
    Soon after purchasing our new 2017 303RLS Reflection we purchased 16" wheels and Goodyear Endurance tires from Discount Tire. No problem at all with the installation. The reason I changed was a friend had 15" with bad experiences. Also after doing the math GD used tires that were designed at the max load of the RV. I feel better with the higher rated tires and American made.
    The only thing that concerns me now is what I read about the axle wet joints.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use independent tire shops for tire swapping. The big box stores associated with tire companies are not nearly as reasonable on prices.

My tires usually come via the internet, and it only takes a day or so to get them in.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use an independent tire shop too. The shop is both truck and auto. Full service on anything. They do brakes on anything too. Log trucks or a small car. They don't care.

I took our 2016 Momentum in to have the brakes looked at after 2 years and there was grease on everything. GD and Lippert worked with the shop and I get everything replaced for free.

I've been going to the same shop for over 30 years here in Springfield, Oregon. Schmunk’s Tire & Auto Service Center

KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Fireside Member Jefferson Beifuss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also used Discount Tire to replace the tires on the new (to us) 2015 337RLS that we purchased last year. What made working with them particularly attractive is that I was able to work with my local store here in Utah, order the tires to be delivered to a store in Southern California, where I bought our rig and have them ready for installation once I completed purchase of our trailer. The other benefit is the warranty service you can get around the country, should you have any issues with your Goodyears. If you're only going to stay local, the Mom and Pop store makes sense, but for traveling across the country (we are going to be doing that again, some day, won't we??), it's nice to have that tire warranty you can use everywhere.
    Jeff & Jean
    2015 GD Reflection 337RLS, Goodyear Endurance tires, JT Strongarm stabilizers
    2015 Ford F-350 SRW Lariat, w/ Sulastic spring shackles, Rancho shocks, airbag, 80 gal supplemental fuel tank, Curt Q20 hitch, Access rollup cover

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast