User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OurNewEra View Post
    I agree with @WhittleBurner, they leave the wood short so you don't catch your leg. OSB would leave a nasty scratch. It also means less weight for the gas struts to lift. We had the dealer keep the mattress it came with and we put in an Ikea queen that is the same model as what we have at home. So no difference in mattress from home to trailer.
    We'll see what Grand Design says. I wrote and asked.
    2017 Imagine 2150RB
    2016 Silverado CC LTZ with 8-speed transmission

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My unit has a full Queen mattress and the support is a little under 1” smaller. We had been thinking about going to an RV short Queen, the Boss is 5 foot in heeled flip flops, I’m around 5’-7” so a full length is not important. Would give us a few more inches around the foot of the bed.

BTW with a 2” old topper we have, I sleep well in the trailer.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had the same issues with the terrible mattress and the undercut plywood (actually is was very rough wafer board or OSB) that was under it that came with out trailer. Replacing the mattress was the very first modification that we did. The first night camping we found that couldn't keep the covers tucked in and there was little support on the edges because the plywood was cut back too far. Some theorize that they did that so it wouldn't hurt when you bumped up against the raw edge of the wafer board, but I think it was done just to save few cents. Whatever the reason it needed to "fixed". So the second modifications that I did to our trailer was to replace the wafer board underneath with actual real plywood. So I went to the lumber yard and I bought a nice flat piece of 3/8" plywood. Then I cut it to the correct size so it matched our queen mattress. Then I added pieces of 3/4 pine to the edges of the plywood, so it was nicer to look at and also thicker than 3/8", making it about 1-1/8" thick. The wood edging also helps keep the plywood from warping. The I rounded the edges, sanded everything and put a few coats of polyurethane on it. So now when you did bump into its not painful at all. I also had to replace the two gas struts with stronger ones because the new mattress was heavier.

Below is a pic that shows the edge of the plywood with the wood edges. I also clipped the corners off at a 45 degree angle, to avoid the hard corner.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190618_105953338.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	28974

Below is a pic of the bed storage open. You can see how I did the wood edges. I also added pieces of 3/4" wood where the struts attach to add some strength and to help keep the plywood flat.

Name:	IMG_20190618_110059282.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	28975

I hope this helps.

Bob

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    We had the same issues with the terrible mattress and the undercut plywood (actually is was very rough wafer board or OSB) that was under it that came with out trailer. Replacing the mattress was the very first modification that we did. The first night camping we found that couldn't keep the covers tucked in and there was little support on the edges because the plywood was cut back too far. Some theorize that they did that so it wouldn't hurt when you bumped up against the raw edge of the wafer board, but I think it was done just to save few cents. Whatever the reason it needed to "fixed". So the second modifications that I did to our trailer was to replace the wafer board underneath with actual real plywood. So I went to the lumber yard and I bought a nice flat piece of 3/8" plywood. Then I cut it to the correct size so it matched our queen mattress. Then I added pieces of 3/4 pine to the edges of the plywood, so it was nicer to look at and also thicker than 3/8", making it about 1-1/8" thick. The wood edging also helps keep the plywood from warping. The I rounded the edges, sanded everything and put a few coats of polyurethane on it. So now when you did bump into its not painful at all. I also had to replace the two gas struts with stronger ones because the new mattress was heavier.

Below is a pic that shows the edge of the plywood with the wood edges. I also clipped the corners off at a 45 degree angle, to avoid the hard corner.

Name:	IMG_20190618_105953338.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	28974

Below is a pic of the bed storage open. You can see how I did the wood edges. I also added pieces of 3/4" wood where the struts attach to add some strength and to help keep the plywood flat.

Name:	IMG_20190618_110059282.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	28975

I hope this helps.

Bob
    Nice, did you keep the same struts?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bryancass View Post
    I've been looking at these so far. Still can't decide if "RV" size (shorter) will be OK or not. But I will definitely extend the wood base to the edges of the mattress because of what Houndbb said! :-)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G3H5HML
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083Z16P9G

There are way too many choices for mattresses, and every one of them have people who love it and people who hate it. So I guess you roll the dice and see if what you order will be OK or not.
    1. I don't believe that GD offers a Full sized bed in their trailers. Queen or King, so your platform was at least *intended* for a Queen.

2. Ours came with the King option and a pure-junk mattress to match. The mattress did overlap the edges of the platform by a bit, though I don't remember it being as much as four inches on each side.

3. We opted to install a Queen mattress without reducing the platform (a buyer might some day want King) and I can tell you that the plywood sticking out is NOT a nice thing, you definitely want some mattress overhang if you rebuild your platform.

4. We bought a standard Queen, not a shortened one. Unless you're sleeping upside-down with your head at the foot of the bed I don't know why you'd be concerned about the end sticking over. Provides cushioning as you move around the bottom of the bed - see note above about plywood sticking out - and is not likely noticeable unless your feet are right down there at the edge.

5. PLEASE don't ask here what mattress you should buy - there are countless threads here about that which you can find with simple searches.

Good luck with your choices.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to replace the struts with stronger ones. I ordered them from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). All of the hardware was interchangeable, hinges, strut supports etc.

Initially I tried using a piece of plywood that I had laying around my shop, but it was a tad thicker and I couldn't get the hinges to lay flat. Since I wanted to reuse the old hardware I needed to find the exact same thickness as the old wafer board. Unfortunately, my local Home Depot and Lowes didn't seem to stock any so I had to go to a real lumber yard and buy a sheet of 3/8" plywood.

As for the mattress, the one that came with our trailer was a definitely a normal queen size mattress. It was NOT what they call an "RV queen", those are shorter. When we were searching for a travel trailer, we didn't consider any Trailer with an "RV Queen" or shorter queen mattress because my feet would hang off the end. Now I can't speak for every Grand Design trailer, but every single Grand Design model that we looked at had a normal sized queen bed in main bedroom. So there could be some with shorter or RV Queen beds, its just that we didn't see any.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    1. I don't believe that GD offers a Full sized bed in their trailers. Queen or King, so your platform was at least *intended* for a Queen.

2. Ours came with the King option and a pure-junk mattress to match. The mattress did overlap the edges of the platform by a bit, though I don't remember it being as much as four inches on each side.

3. We opted to install a Queen mattress without reducing the platform (a buyer might some day want King) and I can tell you that the plywood sticking out is NOT a nice thing, you definitely want some mattress overhang if you rebuild your platform.

4. We bought a standard Queen, not a shortened one. Unless you're sleeping upside-down with your head at the foot of the bed I don't know why you'd be concerned about the end sticking over. Provides cushioning as you move around the bottom of the bed - see note above about plywood sticking out - and is not likely noticeable unless your feet are right down there at the edge.

5. PLEASE don't ask here what mattress you should buy - there are countless threads here about that which you can find with simple searches.

Good luck with your choices.
    I think you are right... I just find it odd they would build the platform 8" narrower than needed to support a queen mattress. We'll get a full queen size to replace it.

I am going to do what Ynot4me2 did and replace the board with one than covers up to 1" from the edges. That will give a little room to not bang your shins. And I'll also round over the edges of the board with my router, and miter the corners to 45 degrees. I don't think I need the extra wood on the edges and struts though - the mattress will keep it flat enough.

So, tell me which mattress to buy. Just kidding. :-)
    2017 Imagine 2150RB

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bryancass View Post
    I think you are right... I just find it odd they would build the platform 8" narrower than needed to support a queen mattress. We'll get a full queen size to replace it.

I am going to do what Ynot4me2 did and replace the board with one than covers up to 1" from the edges. That will give a little room to not bang your shins. And I'll also round over the edges of the board with my router, and miter the corners to 45 degrees. I don't think I need the extra wood on the edges and struts though - the mattress will keep it flat enough.

So, tell me which mattress to buy. Just kidding. :-)
    I cant take credit as it was @BeerBrewer that made that mod. [emoji854]
    But we are ordering the Zinus mattress. Affordable and one of the lightest. Oops did I say that [emoji1787]

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    I cant take credit as it was @BeerBrewer that made that mod. [emoji854]
    But we are ordering the Zinus mattress. Affordable and one of the lightest. Oops did I say that [emoji1787]

Oops, sorry @BeerBrewer -- yes, that was your mod. :-)
    2017 Imagine 2150RB

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I removed the board and cut a new one tonight. The new board is 58" wide by 34.5" deep. It should support a std. queen mattress with 1" overhang on each side. I'll need to cut a bit of the corner molding, but that should not be too difficult. I'll keep the old board around for a while just in case there was a real reason for making it so undersized.
    2017 Imagine 2150RB

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast