User Tag List

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tight turns and trailer harness boo boo

We got yesterday from a 41 day 4390km round trip from Wasaga Beach to Winnipeg Manitoba and back. We actually camped in Stonewall Manitoba north west of Winnipeg. We took 6 days to get home and spent 2 nights at one park in Northern Ontario. The last day we were only 2 hrs from home as we had driven 5 1/2 hours the day before. We stayed at Grundy Provincial Park and we were leaving so we dropped our garbage off at their garbage drop. Its a tight U turn in that are but I made the turn. When we stopped at the office I turned the lights on to get the rear camera and my truck notifies me that The right rear light is out on my trailer. I go to the back and no lights so I check the plug at the truck and discove the tight turn cut into the harness. Luckily I carry a complete set of tools as well as a complete electrical repair kit. A 1/2 hour later we were back on the road just not happy about having to fix a wiring harness. I forgot to take a picture of the harness after the repair.
    Anyone have a suggestion on how to keep the harness away from the hitch?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200903_120725.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	29282Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200903_120732.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	29283

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    2020 Imagine 2450RL
    Wasaga Beach Ontario Canada
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 Trailer Tow Package
    Eaz-Lift Elite WD Hitch 14,000lb capacity 1,200lb bars

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the answer is that the problem is hitch specific, not trailer model.
    Different hitches place different routes for plug wire.
    We also have a 2450RL and route our wire thru the lock on the ProPride which keeps it high and out of the way.
    Best of Luck:
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with @attaboy, it might be hitch specific. Never thought about it till you mentioned it. The Andersen I use has nothing I could see could pinch/cut the cable as the ball and coupler move as one.
    My cable routes from curb side around the tongue jack and directly to the truck. How did your Easy Lift cut the cable?

Good thing you were prepared and able to fix on the road.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
    I agree with @attaboy, it might be hitch specific. Never thought about it till you mentioned it. The Andersen I use has nothing I could see could pinch/cut the cable as the ball and coupler move as one.
    My cable routes from curb side around the tongue jack and directly to the truck. How did your Easy Lift cut the cable?

Good thing you were prepared and able to fix on the road.
    It was day 6 of traveling home the TT and TV had not been separated. I look at the hitch, bars and pins every morning before we head out. I never paid a second thought to the harness, I just made sure it was plugged in. The harness is routed over the hitch on the drivers side. I guess when I made the sharp right turn into the garbage area the excess harness was pulled out and when I made the sharp left turn the harness got pinched.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    2020 Imagine 2450RL
    Wasaga Beach Ontario Canada
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 Trailer Tow Package
    Eaz-Lift Elite WD Hitch 14,000lb capacity 1,200lb bars