User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Well, I'm an every other year bearing repack guy, or just before a planned long mileage trip. But, if you believe in yearly brake inspections, you have disassembled the drum/bearings to see the brakes anyway. So you might as well do the complete job and throw five dollars worth of grease at the bearings of each wheel. Just my 2 cents.
    By "inspection" I'm talking about what the dealers usually do to pass the state inspection -- jack up the wheel and spin it, then apply voltage to the brake and see if the wheel stops. :-) I would also adjust the brakes while it's off the ground.
    2017 Imagine 2150RB
    2016 Silverado CC LTZ with 8-speed transmission

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dishow View Post
    I agree that yearly repacking is way too much. In my old job we usually waited for bearing failure. Opening up a bearing is too muck risk of introducing dirt. Theorectically a bearing should last forever but the grease wears out or get flung out of the balls. Also we never cleaned a bearing. Too much dirt. We always replaced with new.
    With normal road use, I would agree. The only reason I would want to repack more often is if the bearings are immersed in water, like boat trailers. Or if the grease seal fails.
    2017 Imagine 2150RB
    2016 Silverado CC LTZ with 8-speed transmission

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pffft on special tools. Grab that SOB with a pair of channel locks and whack the long end with a 2x4 stub. Done. They are sacrificial. You replace them every year anyway so damage is not an issue. As for packing, get a bearing packer and a grease gun from local auto parts store. VERY easy to put bearing in, pump a bunch of times and force the grease through the bearing. Easy peasy. Re-install and make sure you're JUST tight enough that there is no play in the hub on the spindle but that it spins freely. I do al 6 of mine in about 4 hours including obligatory lunch somewhere in the middle since I usually start about 9am.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Torque spec on castle nut if 50ft pounds and then back it off until hub moves freely but without play in and out. I don't remember where I got that spec.... I think it was Dexter when I had my 1st TH and did this grease game.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob, can you advise, to what appropriate frequency, in miles and/or time do you recommend this procedure for PM purposes?

Btw: I see you on the “other” forum also and hope that you realize how much your experience and advice helps other RV’ers. In reality, the benefit and potential disaster avoidance that you and others like you provide is probably many times more than that which meets the eye, so, I hope you know how much your contributions are appreciated.
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT FX4 5.0L,1823 payload

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disassembly for repacking the bearings is very easy and straightforward. No reason to pry out the seal with a screwdriver. Just remove the nut and washer, wiggled the hub and the outer bearing will pop out, loosely reinstall the washer and nut, now pull the hub toward you and the nut and washer will catch the rear bearing and pop it and the seal out very easily. No damage done. I’ve been in for maintenance my whole life and done this over and over.
    Dan and Deb
    2021 337RLS
    2020 Lariat Super Duty 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab Max Tow, Air Lift 5000

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RVing in Michigan View Post
    loosely reinstall the washer and nut, now pull the hub toward you and the nut and washer will catch the rear bearing and pop it and the seal out very easily. No damage done. I’ve been in for maintenance my whole life and done this over and over.
    Cool method. I'm doing it that way next time. Thanks for posting it up.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schiefswret View Post
    Rob, can you advise, to what appropriate frequency, in miles and/or time do you recommend this procedure for PM purposes?

Btw: I see you on the “other” forum also and hope that you realize how much your experience and advice helps other RV’ers. In reality, the benefit and potential disaster avoidance that you and others like you provide is probably many times more than that which meets the eye,Foru so, I hope you know how much your contributions are appreciated.
    Forum hint, Chief: If you use "Reply With Quote" as I have here, the person you're addressing will get a notification. It can also reduce confusion - I know of at least three other "Robs" on this forum!

The advice on service intervals for towable RV wheel bearings varies. We are 2 yrs/24,000 mile folks (which is unofficially OK with MORryde, though their party line is 1 yr/12,000 miles). You have to decide on what you're comfortable with. I've read that trailers that sit a lot still need to have it done at regular intervals because the grease will separate just sitting there. I'm not an engineer, though, and folks like @TucsonJim would be better sources for first-hand info on this.

Rob

PS - thanks for your kind words!
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Forum hint, Chief: If you use "Reply With Quote" as I have here, the person you're addressing will get a notification. It can also reduce confusion - I know of at least three other "Robs" on this forum!

The advice on service intervals for towable RV wheel bearings varies. We are 2 yrs/24,000 mile folks (which is unofficially OK with MORryde, though their party line is 1 yr/12,000 miles). You have to decide on what you're comfortable with. I've read that trailers that sit a lot still need to have it done at regular intervals because the grease will separate just sitting there. I'm not an engineer, though, and folks like @TucsonJim would be better sources for first-hand info on this.

Rob

PS - thanks for your kind words!
    Thank you Rob. I usually use 'with quote', obviously had a brain freeze this time. My local RV tech (20 yrs exp with 13 yrs at a huge RV Dlrshp in MD thinks that 8 months / 12k miles is a good idea but I realize that there are many 'standards' when it comes to wheel bearing PM. I'll have mine done this Jan which will bring us to about 11k miles and 15 months so I'm ok with that. Thanks again. btw: what year did you retire from USA?
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT FX4 5.0L,1823 payload

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schiefswret View Post
    ... btw: what year did you retire from USA?
    I left active duty in '93 (family stuff) and finished up with an active reserve unit to finally retire in 2001 with 27 years AFCS. Put in my RFO for retirement orders in August of 2001 and was on post at the reserve unit on 9/11. Nobody expected anyone to be able to retire or ETS and everyone was resigned to making sure our wills and deployment kits were in order. You can imagine my surprise when my retirement orders came through later in September! The timing allowed me to have a 21+ year career on the civilian side before retiring a second time in 2015. How about you?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast