Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dometic refrig problems on 110v

Hi All,
    Looking to hear if anyone has had this issue or has any suggestions. My search of the group didn't come up with a similar scenario.

We have a 2020 Reflection 297RSTS with a Dometic DM2882 fridge. When testing it out last month, realized it would not run on Electric. You turn it on at the control panel (on Auto) and it lights the Electric LED. There is zero sound. (not sure if this is normal)

After about 2 hours, when I would go back out to check on it, ALL lights on the control panel would be off. I would have to press the On/Off button to turn it off and then press again to get things to light back up. And the cycle repeats.

Fast forward, I made an appointment at the dealer, waited a couple weeks (backed up due to Covid) and took it in last Wednesday. They called me Friday and said it was working fine since they plugged it in on Wednesday. When I arrived Friday to pick it back up, the bag of water I had in the freezer was indeed frozen and the bottled water in the fridge was very cold. (and I checked my gas level to make sure they were not accidentally running on gas. It matched what it was when I took it in.)

Worked fine at home the rest of Friday, all day yesterday and now this afternoon, went out and once again NO lights on the control panel. Ice had melted just a little so it's not been off long. BTW, this time when it was working on 110v, I heard a tiny bit of Hum. I assume a slight hum is the norm and silent is bad. Not sure though.

Unit works fine on Gas.

I have a 50 amp shore power outlet at home which is working fine. Breakers are fine. Tested for power at the 110 outlet the fridge plugs into and it's good. The in-line fuse (I think it's 12v) is fine as is the fuse under the hood for the control pane.

As a retired IT guy, I know that reproducing a problem was always 90% of my battle. Looks like the same thing here and not having good luck. And I'm not fond of hooking up, hauling to the dealer and back with no issues found.

So looking for any similar experiences or thoughts. I'm wondering if a call to Dometic should be my first call this time around.

This is not doing well for my mood. Brand new trailer which I've yet to be able to use and now with a buggered fridge.

Sorry for such a long post. Any thoughts appreciated.
    Terry
    Last edited by trkester; 06-07-2020 at 02:19 PM.
    Terry, Patty, Sophie (Great Pyrenees) and Tessa (German Shep/Pyr Mix)
    2020 Reflection 297RSTS
    2021 F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW 6.75' bed /6.7L Diesel/3.55 electronic locking axle

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm having the exact same issue and it just showed up this last trip. Twice the control lights went off overnight. Trying to troubleshoot it now. Oh btw, IT guy here too, 40 years almost and ready to retire.

Also, it was fairly cold those two nights, maybe in the high 30's. Usually it would happen on a hot day based on my searches. Going to try a few things, like running it on a separate power source. Mine doesn't use 12v, but I think the thermostat uses 12v whether on gas or electric. So going to meter the 12v for consistency too.
    Last edited by jk5443; 10-16-2020 at 10:04 AM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I'm having the exact same issue and it just showed up this last trip. Twice the control lights went off overnight. Trying to troubleshoot it now. Oh btw, IT guy here too, 40 years almost and ready to retire.

Also, it was fairly cold those two nights, maybe in the high 30's. Usually it would happen on a hot day based on my searches. Going to try a few things, like running it on a separate power source. Mine doesn't use 12v, but I think the thermostat uses 12v whether on gas or electric. So going to meter the 12v for consistency too.
    So weather has cooled off outside and after the third trip to the dealer, they have finally had it happen. They checked and they believe it's the upper control board. They contacted dometic and were told it's a known problem. Argh! So the part is on order and I'm just waiting for them to get it and install then I'll winterize. We shall see.
    2020 Reflection 297RSTS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info...didn't happen last night and it was cold. So giving up for this year, winterized and put away. The upper control board is only $65 and easy to install, instead of messing with the dealer for weeks.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Thanks for the info...didn't happen last night and it was cold. So giving up for this year, winterized and put away. The upper control board is only $65 and easy to install, instead of messing with the dealer for weeks.
    Do you have a link to the upper control board? I cannot find it anywhere on the internets and am having similar issues. Super frustrating. Replaced both electrical and thermal fuses and the main circuit board.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompsre View Post
    Do you have a link to the upper control board? I cannot find it anywhere on the internets and am having similar issues. Super frustrating. Replaced both electrical and thermal fuses and the main circuit board.
    I do not have a link as the dealer handled it under warranty. I just got it back Friday and it seems to be working now. The dealer informed me the upper and lower boards came as a set. I can't confirm nor deny. The part number listed on my work order is 3316874.900. "eye brow board for dometic ref". Your mileage may vary.

I did a search for that part number and off hand didn't see anything.

I can't say if it was the upper or lower or both that were Foo-bar. At least for now it's still running. I'm going to run it thru Thursday or Friday when it warms up here in Michigan bit so I can cover it up.

Good luck on yours in the spring.
    2020 Reflection 297RSTS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trkester View Post
    I do not have a link as the dealer handled it under warranty. I just got it back Friday and it seems to be working now. The dealer informed me the upper and lower boards came as a set. I can't confirm nor deny. The part number listed on my work order is 3316874.900. "eye brow board for dometic ref". Your mileage may vary.

I did a search for that part number and off hand didn't see anything.

I can't say if it was the upper or lower or both that were Foo-bar. At least for now it's still running. I'm going to run it thru Thursday or Friday when it warms up here in Michigan bit so I can cover it up.

Good luck on yours in the spring.
    I bought the lower control board separately. The part number you show is correct for the upper but I cannot find it to order anywhere. I don’t get it. A quick swap for a $50 part. I’m not takin the trailer to a dealer for that though.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompsre View Post
    I bought the lower control board separately. The part number you show is correct for the upper but I cannot find it to order anywhere. I don’t get it. A quick swap for a $50 part. I’m not takin the trailer to a dealer for that though.
    The dealer "diagnosed" mine as an upper board issue but then came back and said the upper and lower came as a pair. A couple rounds of back and forth with getting their order right but they eventually got the correct parts. Since I'm only 3 or 4 miles from my dealer, not a huge issue to take it to them esp since it was under warranty. (I have fixed numerous little items myself since it's easier to do. It myself, but just let them have at it on this onel
    2020 Reflection 297RSTS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trkester View Post
    The dealer "diagnosed" mine as an upper board issue but then came back and said the upper and lower came as a pair. A couple rounds of back and forth with getting their order right but they eventually got the correct parts. Since I'm only 3 or 4 miles from my dealer, not a huge issue to take it to them esp since it was under warranty. (I have fixed numerous little items myself since it's easier to do. It myself, but just let them have at it on this onel
    That’s my one hiccup is I bought slightly used. No base warranty which I’m fine with. I just don’t want to pay inflated dealer prices for stuff I can troubleshoot and repair. But maybe if it’s the only way to get the part I might be stuck. I’ll try and get a hold of dometic this week and see if I can order it direct.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry haven't been here for awhile. CHeck to make sure it's the right model, but mine uses 'Dometic part # 2932884055'. Just search the entire phrase and you'll get several hits.