Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2017 Imagine 2800BH Backup Camera Wiring: Power always on, is that normal?

We recently bought a used 2017 2800BH that never had a camera installed. When I removed the Furrion mount to attach the new camera (not Furrion), the plastic bracket fell apart due to the two top screws being tightened too much at the factory (greeeeeaaaaat! ).

I wired it up and put it back together for testing and I noticed that the camera was working before I turned the running lights on from the truck. I shut the truck off, and the camera was still transmitting. Disconnected the truck and it was still transmitting... Removed the key from the battery disconnect (at the utility station) and the camera shut off.

Is it just me being weird or does having this camera running all the time not ideal for everyone else too? Do I have any easy options to get the camera to only run when I have the running lights on?

I already have a fairly weak battery, I don't need another drain! (I plan to use the disconnect even more now, but I have read that it really doesn't disconnect the entire load and have already bought a "main disconnect" to install at the battery.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2017 Reflection 337 RLS that is wired the same way. I’ve thought about wiring a switch in the circuit somewhere, but I haven’t gotten inspired to do so yet. So the camera has been on most of its life and is doing well so far.
    Paul and Sue
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, GooseBox hitch
    2019 Ram 3500 Cummins CC SB

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverbeard View Post
    We have a 2017 Reflection 337 RLS that is wired the same way. I’ve thought about wiring a switch in the circuit somewhere, but I haven’t gotten inspired to do so yet. So the camera has been on most of its life and is doing well so far.
    Good to know, thanks! I had read that the Imagines had an inline fuse that if you wanted to install a fuse, it would power the camera full time, but that by default they were only powered by the running lights circuit.

If this camera dies early due to being on all the time, I wont be heart broken. If I had bought the Furrion, I probably would be crying/screaming!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JDBeck23 View Post
    Good to know, thanks! I had read that the Imagines had an inline fuse that if you wanted to install a fuse, it would power the camera full time, but that by default they were only powered by the running lights circuit.

If this camera dies early due to being on all the time, I wont be heart broken. If I had bought the Furrion, I probably would be crying/screaming!
    We have a 2018 Reflection 27 RL that I rewired to the running light circuit. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to the camera wiring on these units. You will find threads on this and also others who have installed switches. Was relatively easy to connect to the center top running light right above the camera.
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Same problem with our 2800, I just have never managed to find where they spliced the stupid thing in the ceiling... future project.
    2022 Momentum 25G (aka "Baby Mo")
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie SRW | 6.7 HO Aisin | 6’4” bed | 3.73 gears | air suspension | 3694# Payload
    Blog Post: 1500 Pickup’s and Towing - The REAL numbers with example
    Blog Post: 2016-2018 Imagine 2800BH - 3500 lb Axles Tire Rubbing Issues

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tortise View Post
    We have a 2018 Reflection 27 RL that I rewired to the running light circuit. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to the camera wiring on these units. You will find threads on this and also others who have installed switches. Was relatively easy to connect to the center top running light right above the camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorvald View Post
    Same problem with our 2800, I just have never managed to find where they spliced the stupid thing in the ceiling... future project.
    Thanks for your replies! I since I have to replace the camera bracket anyway, I'll pull the center running light and see about getting to the running light power.
    2017 Imagine 2800BH, TV: 2004 Ram 2500 Hemi w/ 4.10
    Nights Camping: 2020 (22)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My rear camera is wired to always be on as long as the battery is connected. This has bugged me and I considered connecting is so it is wired to the marker lights as others have done but this would mean I would always have to have my truck lights on for the camera to work. My truck has daylight running lights and automatic headlights so I really didn't want to do this either.

As an aside, it has also bugged me that the switch for the front cap LED lights is in the pass through. I would use them more, especially when we go out in the evening, if they were more accessible.

So, to solve both problems I bought these little remote devices off Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I hooked them up to the camera and front LED lights and they work great. I was really surprised how well they work. I can turn on or off the camera from the driver's seat, I didn't expect them to work that far away.

I have 2 remotes and 2 receivers and was able to program such that "A" on each remote controls the cap lights and "B" on each remote controls the camera. I was curious how much the receivers drew off of the battery when the lights or camera weren't on and they only draw 5 mA.
    2018 Imagine 2500RL
    2016 F150 with 3.5L Ecoboost

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dnmatt View Post
    My rear camera is wired to always be on as long as the battery is connected. This has bugged me and I considered connecting is so it is wired to the marker lights as others have done but this would mean I would always have to have my truck lights on for the camera to work. My truck has daylight running lights and automatic headlights so I really didn't want to do this either.

As an aside, it has also bugged me that the switch for the front cap LED lights is in the pass through. I would use them more, especially when we go out in the evening, if they were more accessible.

So, to solve both problems I bought these little remote devices off Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I hooked them up to the camera and front LED lights and they work great. I was really surprised how well they work. I can turn on or off the camera from the driver's seat, I didn't expect them to work that far away.

I have 2 remotes and 2 receivers and was able to program such that "A" on each remote controls the cap lights and "B" on each remote controls the camera. I was curious how much the receivers drew off of the battery when the lights or camera weren't on and they only draw 5 mA.
    The link didn’t work, can you repost?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JDBeck23 View Post
    The link didn’t work, can you repost?
    This should work: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TGHNQZH...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Sorry.
    2018 Imagine 2500RL
    2016 F150 with 3.5L Ecoboost