User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    I accidentally dropped a small bottle of blue stuff down the first year we got the trailer. 3 years later it resurfaced in the neck of the toilet right near a slight bend and backed things up to the top. We plungered and things appeared to break free. A few days later the same thing, this time after clearing we ran lots of water and a small white bottle floated to the top. Ended up having a good laugh and happy we did not have the dreaded poop mound.

How often do you use the tank flush ?

Well I have put the camera down the drain and didn't see any issues so I cut the drain pipe out from the toilet to the tank and still see no reason for what happen. So the conclusion I have come to is that it was the "dreaded poop mound" . I think it was caused because we dry camp alot and try not to use much water and fill the tanks so we don't have to go pump out so we just didn't put enough water with each flush . I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't been building for a while ! We flush regularly but think the due to the lack of water the mount got hard and didn't flush out even though I us the tank flush each time !! I think I didn't find any thing when I just looked at it is because I had stuck a hose down from inside trying to make sure the pipe was clean when I worked on it and it probably knocked down!!

Thanks eveyone for all you suggestions !!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sptrucksbyed View Post
    Well I have put the camera down the drain and didn't see any issues so I cut the drain pipe out from the toilet to the tank and still see no reason for what happen. So the conclusion I have come to is that it was the "dreaded poop mound" . I think it was caused because we dry camp alot and try not to use much water and fill the tanks so we don't have to go pump out so we just didn't put enough water with each flush . I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't been building for a while ! We flush regularly but think the due to the lack of water the mount got hard and didn't flush out even though I us the tank flush each time !! I think I didn't find any thing when I just looked at it is because I had stuck a hose down from inside trying to make sure the pipe was clean when I worked on it and it probably knocked down!! Thanks eveyone for all you suggestions !!
    It's a lesson learned just once; congrats on figuring it out.

Water is your friend when it comes to your tanks, especially black, and now you know why. Unfortunately the ample water required to prevent clogging problems in your tanks does conflict with the desire to conserve water when you're dry camping.

Sometimes boondockers get around that by using services that pump them out and bring them fresh water but that may not be your idea of self-sufficiency. Others use totes to carry away their sewage and bags or tanks to bring fresh water to the trailer. But there's no getting around the fact that black tanks should have a LOT of water in them to avoid messy troubles.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    It's a lesson learned just once; congrats on figuring it out.

Water is your friend when it comes to your tanks, especially black, and now you know why. Unfortunately the ample water required to prevent clogging problems in your tanks does conflict with the desire to conserve water when you're dry camping.

Sometimes boondockers get around that by using services that pump them out and bring them fresh water but that may not be your idea of self-sufficiency. Others use totes to carry away their sewage and bags or tanks to bring fresh water to the trailer. But there's no getting around the fact that black tanks should have a LOT of water in them to avoid messy troubles.
    Newbie here. Awaiting arrival of my first travel trailer. Stupid question. 1st time usage - should I put water 💦 not the black tank before using or just make sure sufficient water in it when emptying?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    ...Stupid question. 1st time usage - should I put water  not the black tank before using or just make sure sufficient water in it when emptying?
    Not a stupid question at all. Some people (me included) add 3-5 gallons of water after dumping the black tank. It's just to make sure there is a bit of water in the bottom of the tank before it gets used. Water is your friend when it comes to the black tank. The people who have trouble with their black tank are the ones that aren't using enough water while in use or while emptying/rinsing.
    Last edited by bertschb; 01-13-2021 at 09:04 PM.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    Not a stupid question at all. Some people (me included) add 3-5 gallons of water after dumping the black tank. It's just to make sure there is a bit of water in the bottom the tank before it gets used. Water is your friend when it comes to the black tank. The people who have trouble with their black tank are the ones that aren't using enough water while in use or while emptying/rinsing.
    Thank you for taking the time to answer. It is appreciated

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sptrucksbyed View Post
    Well I have put the camera down the drain and didn't see any issues so I cut the drain pipe out from the toilet to the tank and still see no reason for what happen. So the conclusion I have come to is that it was the "dreaded poop mound" . I think it was caused because we dry camp alot and try not to use much water and fill the tanks so we don't have to go pump out so we just didn't put enough water with each flush . I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't been building for a while ! We flush regularly but think the due to the lack of water the mount got hard and didn't flush out even though I us the tank flush each time !! I think I didn't find any thing when I just looked at it is because I had stuck a hose down from inside trying to make sure the pipe was clean when I worked on it and it probably knocked down!!

Thanks eveyone for all you suggestions !!
    Try this - next time you dump, flush the tank, close valves and pre-charge the tank with 5 gallons of water and 1 CUP Dawn dish soap. Some folks add 1 Tied laundry tablet. Then rock the house for a few minutes to slosh the soapy mixture around the tank. Dawn is the only dish soap that works due to its grease break up ability.

Hope this helps

BTW - with this method you don't need any other chemicals - it controls stink too.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    Newbie here. Awaiting arrival of my first travel trailer. Stupid question. 1st time usage - should I put water  not the black tank before using or just make sure sufficient water in it when emptying?
    As @bertschb said it's not a stupid question, it's a great idea, and I too put five gallons or more into the tanks every time after dumping.

You can charge the black tank with fresh water by closing the dump valve and letting the black tank flush run into the tank for about six minutes or so. However be VERY careful that you don't get distracted while it's running - I set an alarm on my phone - because people who have forgotten about it have ruptured their tanks by overfilling them. The gray tank(s) can be charged by just running related faucet(s) for at least six minutes.

I also frequently add dish soap and water softener to the tanks, mixed in the sinks and/or the toilet. Search on the internet for "GEO Method" for advice about why and how to do this. It's fairly cheap and very easy insurance against problems that plague tanks which are not well-watered and regularly-cleaned.

Welcome, and congrats on your trailer.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123