User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @bertschb has the basics right.

Some rigs have the converter built into the electrical panel. Some have it sitting just behind that in a storage/utility area. I don't know your rig so you should ask your dealer. They might even swap in a lithium cor you at a reasonable price. I hear it's becoming a common request.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoa!

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    Just found out my new truck will have a built in 2000 Watt Generator!
    It will be exciting to see how I can use this for my 2500RL.
    Don't get too excited.

That built-in "generator" is merely a large inverter powered off the main engine.

It is there for construction tools and the like on an occasional basis, where you are near the truck at all times.

As such, it is probably NOT rated for electronics.

That is not to say it won't be handy.

My truck has the 400-watt inverter in it and it is great for charging my cordless drill or Dearly Beloved's mobility scooter as we go down the road.

I also use it to charge my camera batteries and run my thermo-electric cooler.

Personally, I would not want to run my truck motor just to watch TV or charge the batteries without rolling down the road.

That motor is expensive and idling is not its friend.

Plus, you have the vulnerability of some ne'er-do-well breaking a truck window and driving off with your new truck, while you are in the trailer watching TV.

Do yourself a favor and get an inexpensive standalone generator.

Last edited by Najataagihe; 01-21-2021 at 06:56 PM.
    2023 Reflection 315RLTS
    2017 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 6.7L Diesel
    Hensley Swift Arrow

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLight View Post
    Some rigs have the converter built into the electrical panel.
    Good point Rick. My advice is only valid if the converter/charger is a separate unit.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry but the link seems to be broken. Can't get there from here

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    Sorry but the link seems to be broken. Can't get there from here
    https://www.amazon.com/Free-Signal-T.../dp/B07HWTHFRF

And IF you are getting the 2500RL (new) then the converter is built into the where the circuit breakers are (Converter Charger w/Distribution Panel). Someone who has upgraded to a Lithium converter with that type of Converter would be best to listen to.
    Last edited by pengle; 01-21-2021 at 08:49 PM.
    (Ordered 7/13/20) 2021 Solitude 310GK, FBP, DP, HP, Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes
    Built 9/9/20; To Paint 9/11/20 (5-6 weeks); Done Paint 10/1/20; MORryde axle upgrade 10/5/20; Done at MORryde and paid for 10/8/20; Arrived at Dealer 10/20/20; picked up 11/7/20

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you thought of running the TV off a small portable power station. I can run my TV for a little over 5 hours on mine. Here is the one I have but there are a lot of the on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TV DC power to Inverter

Quote Originally Posted by robmcqueen View Post
    Have you thought of running the TV off a small portable power station. I can run my TV for a little over 5 hours on mine. Here is the one I have but there are a lot of the on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    What is the model and screen size of your TV? Do you the wattage of the TV?

Thanks.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is only a 32 in TV I think it draws around 40watts not 100% sure, trailer is in storage right now so can not check. It works Great we download a bunch of movies onto a I Pad then play them on the TV. You have to get a cable to connect TV to I Pad. It will not cast it to TV without internet.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also thinking about getting a bigger power station and plugging the whole trailer in it. Then I could run the microwave or the coffee maker also. Would need to flip the breaker off to the converter so it does not try charge the batteries.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a 300W modified sine wave inverter to power our TV, because the inverter was gifted to me. The 42" TV seems to take 90W maximum, usually less. Modified sine wave is fine since the TV just immediately rectifies it into DC anyhow. In my 2500RL the TV is right over the power center, so easy to get heavy cables from there to the inverter. I installed 200Ah of lithium batteries in ours right behind the power center too so it's not far. Anyhow, the setup works fine. We don't watch a lot of TV when boondocking, maybe a movie now and then on a rainy night, but I have not seen enough of a drain on the batteries to notice. The whine of the fan on the inverter is my only complaint. I'd love to find a pure sine quiet inverter about 500W but haven't yet.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast