User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

replacing 12 volt batteries with 6 volt batteries

Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    As long as you don't try to charge them when it is cold out. Or run them completely dead just once. Or if not using for as little as a week, to remember to partially discharge them.....
    Good vendors will include circuitry to avoid the first two. The third may or may not be something they have a feature to make it easy. But storing at full charge for longer periods can greatly shorten their life.....
    Odd that it was noted to be 1/3rd the time. They are designed to be recharged fully in an hour. Of course, that takes pretty hefty inputs and wiring......
    For most of the GD trailers (that I’m aware of) the batteries aren’t going to get that cold.
    We’ve dry camped in ours in temps down to single digits and the batteries which are in the front compartment of our fifth wheel never get below about 55 degrees, so not even close to having an issue.
    Also, since we have solar, our lithiums have spent most of their life (2.5 yrs) at or near full capacity and still have the same capacity they did new. Plus they weigh 116 lbs!
    It would take probably 600 lbs of lead-acid batteries to equal the capacity we have.
    And yes, lithiums (unlike lead-acid or agm) have a BMS which protects them from people doing knuckle-headed things like over-charging them, or using them outside their specified parameters. Lithiums are also less expensive. The cost per kWh is significantly less expensive than lead-acid. Lastly, their warranty makes them a no-brainer. Show me a lead-acid with a 10-year warranty.
    But if your idea of camping is FHU or dry camping one weekend twice a year, sure buy a cheap battery and a cheap generator and you’re set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 10-07-2020 at 12:13 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still not fully on board about lithium batteries, maybe because I don't fully understand.
    My past experience is with boating. I had 4 Interstate 6v GC batteries, but lets use 2 for this comparison.
    2 6v at 225 ah each gives 225 ah at 12 v. Battery cost was $125 each totaling $250. They were 9 years old and still "ok" when we sold the boat in June. We did a lot of "gunkholing" over those 9 years, no solar only engine running time and generator time when required.

My question is what would compare to this in Lithium batteries? How much would they cost? (Lithium wasn't viable in 2012 when I set the boat up with the GCs.)

Wanting to learn as I want to go solar eventually with the TT.
    Thanks
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
    I'm still not fully on board about lithium batteries, maybe because I don't fully understand.
    My past experience is with boating. I had 4 Interstate 6v GC batteries, but lets use 2 for this comparison.
    2 6v at 225 ah each gives 225 ah at 12 v. Battery cost was $125 each totaling $250. They were 9 years old and still "ok" when we sold the boat in June. We did a lot of "gunkholing" over those 9 years, no solar only engine running time and generator time when required.

My question is what would compare to this in Lithium batteries? How much would they cost? (Lithium wasn't viable in 2012 when I set the boat up with the GCs.)

Thanks
    It seems no one has responded to your question. So if you haven't already I suggest you do some research online. As for price one 12V Lithium battery is around $1000 depending on who makes it. There is a lot of information online as to what makes them better than lead acid batteries and worth the price. Go to Youtube and search and you will find several videos discussing them. Plus if you do a search of this forum you will find several threads discussing them. If you plan on doing a lot of boondocking they may be worth the cost. If you will be staying mostly in campgrounds with full hookups then they probably are not worth the cost.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 F150 XLT V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew 4x4 w/Max trailer towing package

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frank4711 View Post
    Frank, do you have a picture of how you vented the 6v batteries using this box? I am thinking of getting 2 6v to replace my dual 12 v batteries.
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jleonard View Post

Thanks
    Ah, but the GC batteries should not be discharged to less than 50%, so you have 112AH on them. LiPo, from what I understand, can be discharged to 10% or so.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    9 years on a lead acid is a really long time! (Says the guy with 11 yr old AGM's in his boat!) Most seem to think 5 yrs is about their useful life.
    As pointed out, LA's nominally shouldn't be discharged below 50% for best life. So the two 6v have roughly 105AH useable. (Costco versions)
    Lithium-Iron's (which is the specific kind of "Lithium's" we are talking about here) usually come with an internal cut-off somewhere between 10 and 20%, to avoid total discharge damage. Battle Born claims 100% usage, which seems to imply that their "100AH" battery is actually a bit more, but it cuts out early to avoid damage, So let's assume 100AH. Essentially a wash in capacity. But you can push the lead acids lower, if you have to, at a risk of shortened life. So there is some "emergency" reserve there.

Costco's 6v are currently $90, Battle Born lithium $900. May be skewed comparison using cheap 6v and expensive lithium.

$180/5 = $36 per year.
    $900/10 - $90 per year.

The lithium's are at 31 lbs, and the 6v at 116 lbs (2 combined) - so huge advantage to the lithium.
    Nominally, the lithium can charge up a lot faster (in as little as an hour!), but that is hugely dependent on the system installed in them, and the upgraded capacity of the trailer to supply that kind of current. But generally recharge time is faster, even with the stock converter..

Where lithium makes more sense is in needing more capacity than may be practical with LA's - weight and physical space to put them in. And reduced care and feeding (adding water, etc.). Boondockers can have more capacity at much lower weight. But at the cost of, well, cost......
    Add solar, and the advantage tips strongly to lithium, as you can then set up a system with much faster recharge times, allowing one to stay off the grid pretty much continuously.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12