Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I shopped around for a while, talked to every dealer within 500 miles (there aren't too many, maybe a dozen), got the lowest price I could, and then offered every other dealer (especially the closer ones )) the opportunity to beat it. In the end, we are only 10% under MSRP. Part of it seems to be that the cheaper trailers are more popular, which keeps prices high, and part of it is that it's hard to get good discounts in the PNW, and that may be partly related to the absurd shipping cost to get one out here. Maybe we could have done better, and almost certainly if we waited a while for the COVID craze to pass, but in the end it wouldn't have made that much of a difference in the bottom line and we wanted to be back camping this Spring. Plus the COVID craze benefited us on selling our last trailer in September, we got far more than I predicted it would be worth at 4 years old.

Oh what I wouldn't give for @huntr70 to whisper the invoice price on a 261BH to me so I knew just how ugly the truth is
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rootusrootus View Post
    I shopped around for a while, talked to every dealer within 500 miles (there aren't too many, maybe a dozen), got the lowest price I could, and then offered every other dealer (especially the closer ones )) the opportunity to beat it. In the end, we are only 10% under MSRP. Part of it seems to be that the cheaper trailers are more popular, which keeps prices high, and part of it is that it's hard to get good discounts in the PNW, and that may be partly related to the absurd shipping cost to get one out here. Maybe we could have done better, and almost certainly if we waited a while for the COVID craze to pass, but in the end it wouldn't have made that much of a difference in the bottom line and we wanted to be back camping this Spring. Plus the COVID craze benefited us on selling our last trailer in September, we got far more than I predicted it would be worth at 4 years old.

Oh what I wouldn't give for @huntr70 to whisper the invoice price on a 261BH to me so I knew just how ugly the truth is
    At the end of the day, if you love the RV you bought and you aren't financially strapped because of it, don't think about what kind of deal you got and enjoy the h*ll out it!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ordered a 260RD in Nov....Will hit the assembly line first week in March. Called Factory to see if second Air conditioner could be installed while building. Factory rep said "why certainly". So, a 13,500 btu in bedroom is coming.
    2021 GD 260RD
    2012 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobWNY View Post
    At the end of the day, if you love the RV you bought and you aren't financially strapped because of it, don't think about what kind of deal you got and enjoy the h*ll out it!
    I 100% agree. I have a bit of a problem keeping cars very long (I tend to buy enthusiast cars) and I'm fairly certain I lose a lot more money on that hobby than I do on any RV. My most recent car purchase was over twice what we are buying this new trailer for, so I just remind myself that this is used car pricing, and we don't seem to worry much about *that* so why freak out about it in this case? Psychology, I guess. My wife and I just assume when buying an RV that the value is immediately 0, so whenever we move on to the next one anything we get is a nice surprise .

I did some googling, and if the invoice price I found for our trailer is correct, and the shipping quote accurate, then the dealer is probably making a couple grand off this sale. That seems reasonable enough, he's got to keep the lights on and employees paid. And when the COVID market collapses, it could get real bleak for dealers for a while, but we want them to remain solvent so they're around to do warranty and maintenance work for us. I hope they're banking the profits right now.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As to youtube propaganda -- "there are no lies on the internet" a direct quote from Abraham Lincoln.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12