User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Champion Generator Exhaust

I have two Champion 3400 watt dual fuel generators that I want to install in the bed of my Ram truck. The way I want to orientate them has the exhausts facing each other or blowing against the bed wall. Has anyone successfully extended or changed the orientation of the exhaust pipes?
    Reflection 297RSTS 2018
    Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Morning

I have that model mounted in my truck bed nearest the cab and I did a real makeshift soloution.

I bought a 5ft length of 3" diameter duct pipe and attached a 90 degree elbow. (I just leave it in the truck bed till I need it.) The elbow sits under the exhaust, and the other end I lay over the bed rail. 95% of the exhaust flows up and out of the truck bed. Its not fancy but its cheap and does the job

I didn't want to alter the original exhaust and chance voiding my extended warranty. I love this generator, we've had it a year and have 55 hours on it. Starts and runs wonderfully.

Bob
    Bob & Donna - Maryland
    2017 303 RLS
    2023 Ford F350 CCLB 6.7 Diesel w/B & W Companion 3300 hitch

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same generator too. I hadn't given any thought to routing the exhaust anywhere because as it rides in my truck bed it vents into the open bed area. If you face it into the bed wall you would probably need some space to vent or rig something as Robert uses. Maybe some type of heat shield especially if there is a bed liner.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may be of use in some way. Or not. Just letting you know it's there. It is a bolt-on to the existing muffler that gives you a 3/4" NPT thread to play with for redirecting, etc. Pricey but...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HBD2VM6...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I'm not happy with how loud my Champion 3400 is and was tossing the idea around of adding additional muffling somehow using one of these. Have not taken any action yet though since I prob won't use the generator a ton anyway.
    Terry, Patty, Sophie (Great Pyrenees) and Tessa (German Shep/Pyr Mix)
    2020 Reflection 297RSTS
    2021 F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW 6.75' bed /6.7L Diesel/3.55 electronic locking axle

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “I'm not happy with how loud my Champion 3400 is”

That’s interesting. Just curious, have folks complained about the noise or is it more a personal preference?

We had a Honda 2k back in 2006 for our boat, which was very quiet. But nothing similar to the Campion wattage for comparison

I find that in Eco Mode I cant even really hear it beyond 30 ft or so. In standard mode it’s around 50’

Again I’m just curious

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a personal preference. We just got our rig in October and haven't even used the trailer and I have only had the generator since November.

I am perhaps spoiled because I used to own a Honda EU3000is before I got a whole house generator for home and sold the Honda. (too bad I didn't see the future)

The Honda was super quiet. I have no Objective data but my guess is the Honda at full load was about the same loudness or even a tad quieter than the Champion with light load in ECO mode.

I've not even tried connecting the trailer to the Champion yet. Perhaps a good task for this week along with de-winterizing. 🙂 See if my thoughts have changed over the winter.

I do like the dual fuel aspect to my Champion though. Nice to have options.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trkester... thanks for answering. I love the dual fuel option too. Safe travels

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertS377 View Post
    Trkester... thanks for answering. I love the dual fuel option too. Safe travels
    I have never run mine on anything other than propane. I have two cylinders that are just dedicated to the Champions on brackets that I custom made for the TV bed. They attach to the tie down rails and are not going anywhere.
    Reflection 297RSTS 2018
    Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a Champion 3400 watt gas unit and have about 150 trouble free hours on it. It lives in the bed of our 350 against the front wall, in the center, with the exhaust blowing toward the side wall and it has not caused any problems. I actually think it’s fairly quiet even when powering both 15K btu A/Cs (I installed Micro Aire Easy Start kits on both A/Cs.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trkester View Post
    I'm not happy with how loud my Champion 3400 is and was tossing the idea around of adding additional muffling somehow using one of these. Have not taken any action yet though since I prob won't use the generator a ton anyway.
    Out of curiosity, did you go ahead and add a muffler? I'm considering doing this with my Champion 3500. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast