User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t know if anybody will read this since the thread is a couple of years old now but a thought occurred to me about avoiding the heat retention problem. Since most designs require that the light screen be installed between the screen door and the door itself, it seems it would be no greater effort to install it on the outside of the RV. Would not that lock the heat from ever entering in doing damage?
    Last edited by Gdenion; 07-05-2021 at 02:33 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by janddrand1979 View Post
    We use foam board cut to size and double-stick tape to hold it. Works good!
    Exactly what we have done. Good and dark!
    Home is where you park it!
    2021 Solitude 380FL
    2014 Silverado 3500HD LTZ DRW 6.6L Duramax Allison 6 Speed
    RVing since 1996; Full Time since 2018

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    I thought an update was in order!

The shade that I mentioned in my original post looked nice, but no one seemed to know anything about it. It came with a couple options, which I wasn't sure on, so I called the company and left a message and I also emailed them. Well I never heard from back from them...not a word! That combined with the fact that the shade was attached to the RV door with glued on Velcro strips which I wasn't sure how that would work long term, not to mention that it was also a tad pricey, I decided to keep searching for a shade.

I then found a shade uses snaps to attach to the door for $23.95 on Amazon. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

They make the shade to fit a standard door window. The instructions tell you to remove a screw from each corner and replace it with screw and snap that is supplied with the shade. Easy enough, right??? Wrong...Unfortunately our trailer door window doesn't have any screws! I contacted the company looking for a template of sorts so I could install it. Well they recommended against drilling into my door molding. Well I took a chance and bought it anyway.

I taped the shade using blue tape over the RV door window positioning it where it should be. Then I very carefully marked the where the snaps hit the corners of the plastic door molding. I then drilled a tiny pilot hole in the center where a snap should be installed, only drilling deep enough to penetrate the plastic molding. I then removed the bit from the drill and poked it into the hole and the bit went in about 3/8” before it hit something solid. I just wanted to make sure that snap with its self tapping screw didn’t hit anything inside the door and it didn’t. Then I screwed one snap (the ones that came with the shade) to the door. Then I attached the cover using the one snap and I pulled it taught. I marked where the next snap needed to be and installed as I did the first. I just needed to make sure that I ONLY drilled thru the black plastic molding and no deeper. I did this for the remainder of the snaps and the shade now fits perfectly flat on the door! I recognize that the snaps are only screwed into plastic, but it shouldn’t be an issue because we won’t be taking the shade off all too often, so I’m sure that the snaps into the plastic will hold.

As for the shade itself.....It does the job, it blocks almost all of the light and it has a real nice finished look to it. It looks a whole lot better than my cheapo cardboard shade! We are very happy!
    At some point you change your mind and want something different, try the Slim Shade from AP products. The kit comes with replacement glass and frame.

https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-0...s%2C214&sr=8-5

I installed mine with shade sliding up from the bottom so I can leave a gap at the top for looking outside before opening the door.
    2017 F-250 6.7 2019 273 MK
    Retired Tanker Yanker
    My your pleasures be many and your troubles be few!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12