User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I was proactive. We haven't had any issues before or since the mod. We've towed the RV thousands of miles and live in it full time. I will say after watching the video of the failed 310GK kitchen island on Youtube my wife avoids loading the island cabinets with heavy items.
    Thanks. I’m trying to be proactive as well. I did see that a poster suggests repairing the island by removing the floor inside the cabinets. Did you consider that route?
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers
    Travel 6 months each year

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USA in a Chevrolet View Post
    I did see that a poster suggests repairing the island by removing the floor inside the cabinets. Did you consider that route?
    No, I was working on my solar project at the time when my wife asked me to reinforce the island. She did all the homework on what was required. I just followed her instructions and did the work as fast as possible so I could get back to my real project :-)
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    Both Rob @Second Chance and Brian @bertschb (among a few others as I recall) have posted on this issue before on other threads here and elsewhere. I seem to recall that one or both also did a modification to their island. Maybe one or both of them will chime in or you can PM them.

I also seem to recall that GDRV was made aware and did make changes in production desing/build to address the very few situations where the center island did "drop" down.

Dan
    We have not had issues with the island on our 310GK... I don't remember if Brian @bertschb has or not. I may have posted a link or reference to information about it.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a problem with our island just after we bought it. Dealer (with GD's OK) reinforced it so that it did not lean when we leaned on it. Covered under warranty. I'm sure they had to get to it from under the 5er.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The island in the 310GK has drawers on the right side then the sink and on the left an open cabinet where a dishwasher can be installed. Unlike a kitchen cabinet where the cabinet frame sits in the floor the island cabinet rests on a rectangular frame attached to the floor. It is supported by 2 screws at each end and the 1/4 inch plywood sides of the sink cabinet. The plywood is attached to the cabinet frame with 5/8 inch 16 gauge staples. If the screws on the left side are not installed properly or give way the staples in the plywood can fail to hold. There is more support at the right end and it is a shorter distance from the support. The easiest solution in my view is to remove the door at the left side (4 screws), then remove the floor of the cabinet (4 screws) and install a 1x3 to the end of island on the inside that rests on the frame. Use 1 !/4 inch screws or staples. DO NOT HAMMER.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-07-30 12.35.10.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	35796
    I hope the photo inserted.
    I'll do another post titled kitchen island construction with more details later today
    2020 Solitude 310 GKR

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmithrr View Post
    The island in the 310GK has drawers on the right side then the sink and on the left an open cabinet where a dishwasher can be installed. Unlike a kitchen cabinet where the cabinet frame sits in the floor the island cabinet rests on a rectangular frame attached to the floor. It is supported by 2 screws at each end and the 1/4 inch plywood sides of the sink cabinet. The plywood is attached to the cabinet frame with 5/8 inch 16 gauge staples. If the screws on the left side are not installed properly or give way the staples in the plywood can fail to hold. There is more support at the right end and it is a shorter distance from the support. The easiest solution in my view is to remove the door at the left side (4 screws), then remove the floor of the cabinet (4 screws) and install a 1x3 to the end of island on the inside that rests on the frame. Use 1 !/4 inch screws or staples. DO NOT HAMMER.

I'll do another post titled kitchen island construction with more details later today
    Thanks for the fix you made. I’m going to just what you suggested on my GK345. I might actually perform the fix in both ends just to add even more strength.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmithrr View Post

Update on the 345GK. I decided to be proactive on the kitchen island & started with your suggestion of a 1” X 3” board. I was able to use 2” pocket screws to attach the board inside the base of the cabinet to the base of the island. It was surprisingly easy to access the area just as you described. In that area under the floor of the cabinet I found the factory prep water line & electrical receptacle for the dishwasher. There is also a furnace heating duct & the central vacuum toe kick. Next I went to the right side & removed all the drawers. I was able to reinforce that side as well by adding a 1” X1” board under the lowest drawer slides. The other thing I found was that the box at the back of the cabinet that supports the rear portions of the drawer slides was never attached to the floor of the cabinet. The single screw that was used was too short to reach the base of the cabinet & the box did not rest on the floor as there was a 1/4” space between the bottom of the frame & the floor. I put in a piece of 1/4” luan to fill in the space I feel much more confident now that the island will stay in place. I want to thank all of you for your posts on this subject. The posts were very helpful.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    Sorry, I didn't see your post until today. I've only heard of a 310GK being affected but I'd be surprised if that was the only model. I would think other models have a similar island design but that's just a guess. I was proactive and modified ours. Only took a few minutes and a few shorts pieces of wood.

Brian,
    Although mine hasn't fallen yet, it's a bit wobbly at times and I would like to do the same as you.
    Did you use a 1x2 and cut to the appropriate length?
    Thanks,
    Mark
    2018 Solitude 310GK-R
    Titan Disk Brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000 with X Factor Crossmember
    2022 GMC 3500HD Duramax Crew Cab, 4x4, SRW 6’ box
    Factory 5th/Gooseneck Prep with 20K Reese Goosebox

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markb777 View Post
    Brian,
    Although mine hasn't fallen yet, it's a bit wobbly at times and I would like to do the same as you.
    Did you use a 1x2 and cut to the appropriate length?
    Thanks,
    Mark
    I cut a 10 X 3” to length & did the other things in my post.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USA in a Chevrolet View Post
    I cut a 10 X 3” to length & did the other things in my post.
    Thank you, I'll give it a try.
    2018 Solitude 310GK-R
    Titan Disk Brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000 with X Factor Crossmember
    2022 GMC 3500HD Duramax Crew Cab, 4x4, SRW 6’ box
    Factory 5th/Gooseneck Prep with 20K Reese Goosebox

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast