User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a cam inside that wears away. I believe it can also send those metal particles into the rest of the down stream components. I saw a you tube on it.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can tell you the cp3 is not as bulletproof as some say as the o8-11 gm cp3 also failed frequently at 120-140k. I had it happen to me. But Canadian vehicles do not have the same problem as they have higher sulfur fuel it is abrasive wear. I am hoping the new denso pump is more durable

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was just posted in the Ram Forum and I thought it might be appropriate to re-post it here just for general knowledge. This is a real problem.

Driving 2020 2500 CTD (7800 miles) while towing ~6500 lb travel trailer, the engine just cut out. Would not restart. It was a big fiasco on a major roadway. Cops had to manage traffic as I was blocking center 2 lanes of a 4 lane road (died in the middle of a left-turn across roadway). Took an hour to get a tow truck for my tow vehicle. My bro-in-law was able to get my TT out of the road. Fortunately, I was in my hometown and not out on vacation (had been in the middle of nowhere the week prior). It took 4 weeks to get it fixed due to parts shortage and shipping.

Mechanic at the local dealership said it was a fuel pump failure. As the pump broke, it showered the fuel system with metal shards. The fuel system from pump to injectors had to be replaced. I asked specifically what contributed to the failure. He said it was as simple as a failed part. A fuel pump is a part, parts fail, fuel pumps fail. Dodge has a kit for this: Injection Fuel System Kit R8545068AA. It was all covered under warranty.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airrace View Post
    After reading one article about this I started using fuel additive (Ford dealer recommend using additive in my 2015), even in my 2018. Have been using opti-lube Xtreme Lubricant (purple cap) every other tank or so. Also paying attention to bio-fuel as it has more lubrication then most of the additives. So will see what happens.
    So are you saying bio diesel is better because it contains more lubricants?
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine went out Saturday on Interstate 70. Pulling my Momentum loaded. 2020. 3500 DW. 28,000 miles. Complete fuel system replacement needed. I’m a full timer. Don’t know if they can get parts. Thank goodness a have a brother that has something that I can use for awhile. Inexcusable in a $70,000 truck. At least it’s still under warranty.
    Matt
    2021 Momentum 376THS FW
    2020 Ram 3500 HO Cummins DRW LB
    B&W Companion 25K Splendide Washer and Dryer Separate DV6400X

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like Ram has been been good about covering them under warranty. There is no shortage of people with GM/Chevy however, who had warranty denied. If GM can find any link to potential bad fuel, water in the fuel, they will deny warranty. There are plenty of stories of people who had their warranty denied. GM went away with the CP4 in model year 2017 and up. I have a 2016, and it's constantly on my mind. Not as simple as trading it in right now, because of the shortage of trucks. Right now in Canada, good luck finding a 2500/3500 from any of the Big 3. Dealer lots are empty. I want to get a Ram CTD next time around, and a dealer I have been speaking with told me a couple weeks ago that they haven't had a new 2500 available on their lot in almost a year. And when they finally get one leaving factory headed their way, it usually gets sold before the truck even makes it to the dealer.
    So the flip side to this is that there are no deals, no incentives being offered by any of the manufacturers, so it's a very bad time to even consider making a change.
    2016 Chevy Silverado LT Duramax
    2022 Reflection 295RL, after owning 2 Rockwood 8289's

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NHTSA just announced they have opened an investigation into the pumps on Ram trucks. Only took 3 years……. At that rate I wouldn’t be looking for any findings for another decade.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

caution

Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    https://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/r...8aAgFZEALw_wcB

https://www.cspracing.com/bd-diesel-...p/bdd-1050491/

Probably another $800-$1000 for labor?

Me? I juts run my 2019 6.7 and don't think about it. I have a lifetime warranty through my dealership and it clearly states in the contract that the HPFP is covered. I keep all my fuel receipts too.
    Unless they find ANY rust particles in your tank or ANY rust stains from trace amounts of water that was in your fuel on you injector heads. They are trained to look for this and other signs of fuel contamination to void the warranty. People with the cheaper steel AUX. tanks that feed into the main tank WILL have rust in there tanks so there screwed already. If you go on any of the truck forum boards there many posts about this and how their claim was denied.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyrv View Post
    Sounds like Ram has been been good about covering them under warranty. There is no shortage of people with GM/Chevy however, who had warranty denied. If GM can find any link to potential bad fuel, water in the fuel, they will deny warranty. There are plenty of stories of people who had their warranty denied. GM went away with the CP4 in model year 2017 and up. I have a 2016, and it's constantly on my mind. Not as simple as trading it in right now, because of the shortage of trucks. Right now in Canada, good luck finding a 2500/3500 from any of the Big 3. Dealer lots are empty. I want to get a Ram CTD next time around, and a dealer I have been speaking with told me a couple weeks ago that they haven't had a new 2500 available on their lot in almost a year. And when they finally get one leaving factory headed their way, it usually gets sold before the truck even makes it to the dealer.
    So the flip side to this is that there are no deals, no incentives being offered by any of the manufacturers, so it's a very bad time to even consider making a change.
    I had a 2011 GM , the first year that Ford and GM started using them. So I have been following this for a long time. GM has been very good about covering it. There was even one person who had his go out at 110K, and GM paid for half of the bill...In fact GM was so good about quietly covering it, that there were no reports of failures for GM on the forums for a very long time. In fact I did not believe the GMs had the issue until I got a hold of some NHSTA documents on it. They showed that GM had about twice as many warranty repairs as Ford... Ford had been denying claims left and right though, so all of those denied claims were not tracked at that time... Reality is that they both had failures at about the same rate. I know nothing about how Ram has been handling this.

As for what milage do they fail at? With my ten year observation of it, it seems to be totally random. This is truly CP4 roulette.

Your number can come up at any time.

I had a warranty for 8 years on my 2011 GM.... After it was up, I wanted out of the CP4 game. When I was looking at trucks, GM was the only one not using that pump. So Ford and Ram were out of the running immeadiatly. I am really shocked that Ford is still using it. Ram I could see, as Bosch probably told them that the issue was fixed, and offered them a great price....Ram was smart enough to dump it pretty fast when that proved false.
    Last edited by huntindog; 10-20-2021 at 03:47 AM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyrv View Post
    As far as it being a bad time to make a change. Consider how bad a failure would be.
    I got 28,000 for my 2011. Had I been unlucky and had a pump failure, it would have cost 10-15K to fix it.... And I still would have been only able to get 28K for it.

Yes new trucks are expensive now. But so are used ones! Your used truck is commanding a premium now, so your total cost of making the change now won't be that bad, so long as you do it before you have a failure.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast