User Tag List

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carry an Empty Gas Can

It was mentioned in another thread about unhitching in order to get the TV into a station to get fuel. On our most recent trip we were travelling the backroads, a road that we have travelled many, many times with our other shorter trailer. We had stupidly gone past or refueling rule and were cutting it very close on fuel. It wasn't a matter of finding a gas station but finding one we could get into. After we finally found gas and we both gave a sigh of relief, my wife suggested we start carrying an EMPTY gas can. That way if there is a station we can't get into at least we could park nearby, walk up with the gas can, and get some fuel for the TV. An empty can is safe and adds no weight. Brilliant idea from the navigator!
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OurNewEra View Post
    It was mentioned in another thread about unhitching in order to get the TV into a station to get fuel. On our most recent trip we were travelling the backroads, a road that we have travelled many, many times with our other shorter trailer. We had stupidly gone past or refueling rule and were cutting it very close on fuel. It wasn't a matter of finding a gas station but finding one we could get into. After we finally found gas and we both gave a sigh of relief, my wife suggested we start carrying an EMPTY gas can. That way if there is a station we can't get into at least we could park nearby, walk up with the gas can, and get some fuel for the TV. An empty can is safe and adds no weight. Brilliant idea from the navigator!

Why not just unhook the trailer?

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I did that on our last trip carry an empty gas can but in my case diesel can we were coming from Las Vegas, NV going to Sparks, NV and in between them with one gas station but I choose not to go there, so out we was getting low, very low but there was no gas station in sight but I did have an empty gas can if I would have ran out I would have to walk about 20+ miles with my gas can in the desert. Not good so I, if I know that I will be going to a place where I'm not sure I fill up my gas/diesel can and put it in the back bed.

So yeah I do and have travel with a 5 gals can in the back but of course you want to leave some room in the can so I carry a 5 gals can full with fuel. It's not like I going to leave it there for days I put it in there until I get where I'm going.
    2022 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    2023 North Point 310RLTS
    MSG Retired Army

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instead of carrying an empty gas can, why not carry one with some fuel inside?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alkbch View Post
    Exactly. That's what I do
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like a waste of space to carry an empty can, I always have a full one when towing, you never know!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alkbch View Post
    I do now I don't like the ideal of walking 20+ miles in the desert or anywhere for that matter with an empty can.
    2022 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    2023 North Point 310RLTS
    MSG Retired Army

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With spotty outages of fuel nowadays, we've started refueling every 150 miles or so, especially in unfamiliar routes. Plus, stopping every two to three hours is nice for a walk about.
    2019 F250 Lariat
    2020 Solitude S 2930RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we are traveling we know where we're going and by what route. I know that after x amount of miles we're going to want to gas up. I will have already checked on line where we will want to stop. This makes for a lot less stress and a more enjoyable ride. I will have found stations that will be easy in and out. Never have had a problem.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/