User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help. First time dumping pooh everywhere

Thanks inadvance for your help. Went to dump the tanks for the very first time. Handles in the nautilous system pushed all the way in.

When opening the cap to connect the hose lots of stuff came shooting out.

I will call Grand Design in the morning, still under warranty. Just thought I would check here to see if I'm doing something wrong.
    We have a 2021 381 M

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do the valves feel like when you pull and push them?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In addition to @NB Canada's question, I'll just add that "stuff" can stay in the near-horizontal parts of the drain pipes after the valves are closed. When the trailer is moved or the level is changed, the "stuff" will drain toward the outlet and wait to surprise you when you removed the cap.

BTW - You can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    In addition to @NB Canada's question, I'll just add that "stuff" can stay in the near-horizontal parts of the drain pipes after the valves are closed. When the trailer is moved or the level is changed, the "stuff" will drain toward the outlet and wait to surprise you when you removed the cap.

BTW - You can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    The amout comming out had lots and lots of pressure behind it. The valves are firm but not overly tight.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the old one View Post
    The amout comming out had lots and lots of pressure behind it. The valves are firm but not overly tight.
    Hmmm... I don't know what to make of that. If it's leftovers, there shouldn't be any pressure. Perhaps a cable has come loose from a valve.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you had some "stuff" come out the first time you used the system, it could be there might be some construction debris left in the tank that made it way into the valve before shipment. One poster (can't find it right now) had an obvious plastic drill chip left in the tank that apparently was jammed into the valve during construction. Maybe check that.

Longer term, I've had this kind of "surprise" many times in the past due to either unseated valves or dumping at uneven dump stations & thus having residual "stuff" in the pipes afterwards.

I never wanted that to happen again. Personally, I'm very squeamish about having human waste dumped on me (maybe I'm just a wimp).

Anyway, to prevent it, I did the mods described in Passion Highway's video on this post. Start reading here at this link if you're interested.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post341356

It's a fair amount of work and some people think it's overkill, but I was willing to do the work & investment to keep from being showered with poo water.
    Last edited by jjbbrewer; 08-22-2021 at 10:05 AM.
    signature

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the main reason I have the clear elbow installed on the sewer pipe. I can see if anything is there before removing the cap.
    Good insurance.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the old one View Post
    Thanks inadvance for your help. Went to dump the tanks for the very first time. Handles in the nautilous system pushed all the way in.

When opening the cap to connect the hose lots of stuff came shooting out.

I will call Grand Design in the morning, still under warranty. Just thought I would check here to see if I'm doing something wrong.
    We have a 2021 381 M

You say they pushed all the way in? In is closed, out is open, maybe you already had them open?
    2020 Reflection 150 240RL
    2020 F250 XLT 7.3L Godzilla
    Curt A20 hitch with turning point locked
    Westinghouse igen4500 LIFEPO4 280ah 3.2v cells

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That has happened to me a couple of times. I think maybe the valves leak a little and collects in the drain pipe and you get an unpleasant surprise when you remove the cap. An easy way to prevent this is to install a gate valve on the end of the drain pipe then when you remove the cap you hook up your flex pipe, open your new gate valve, then your open your tank valve.
    This valve was only about $30 and installed in less than 30 seconds. I've had one of these on my last 3 rigs and will never worry about any surprise again when I remove my drain pipe cap.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post
    If you had some "stuff" come out the first time you used the system, it could be there might be some construction debris left in the tank that made it way into the valve before shipment. One poster (can't find it right now) had an obvious plastic drill chip left in the tank that apparently was jammed into the valve during construction. Maybe check that.

Longer term, I've had this kind of "surprise" many times in the past due to either unseated valves or dumping at uneven dump stations & thus having residual "stuff" in the pipes afterwards.

I never wanted that to happen again. Personally, I'm very squeamish about having human waste dumped on me (maybe I'm just a wimp).

Anyway, to prevent it, I did the mods described in Passion Highway's video on this post. Start reading here at this link if you're interested.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post341356

It's a fair amount of work and some people think it's overkill, but I was willing to do the work & investment to keep from being showered with poo water.

Too much work for me. Put the Valterra gate valve on 6 years ago and haven't had a problem since. Took the old cap off twisted on the new valve and I was done.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast