Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

21 G with Lithium batteries - winter storage question

Hi! Brand new to RVing here!

We have a 21 G with 2 lithium batteries installed under the bed which is a bed slide. The batteries have to be in the unit in order to operate the bed slide. How do we get the batteries out to store for winter and get the slide in and out with the batteries not in?

Is there a better place to mount the batteries in a 21 G? Could we cut an access panel through the mattress deck and then through through the box below that?

Do the batteries have to come inside for winter? Could we leave them in the Rv? Or is that a bad idea? Our dealer said to leave them in, but friends have told us not to as it will shorten the life of the batteries.

Help!! Input please…. Thanks in advance!
    Cindi DeBoer
    Brand New to RVing
    Momentum 21G Toy Hauler 2021
    Colorado Springs CO

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindideb View Post

We have a 21 G with 2 lithium batteries installed under the bed which is a bed slide. The batteries have to be in the unit in order to operate the bed slide. How do we get the batteries out to store for winter and get the slide in and out with the batteries not in?

Is there a better place to mount the batteries in a 21 G? Could we cut an access panel through the mattress deck and then through through the box below that?

Do the batteries have to come inside for winter? Could we leave them in the Rv? Or is that a bad idea? Our dealer said to leave them in, but friends have told us not to as it will shorten the life of the batteries.

Charge batteries to about 80%, disconnect negative terminal, and leave them. Unless you'rev getting below 10 degrees for extended period of time (even then you're OK) your batteries will be fine. Charging at below freezing is A BIG no-no, storage is fine cold. It won't do anything unless you let the batteries become too far depleted.

Newly full timing in our 2021 Momentum 395MS-R with our tow pig being a 2021 F-450 KR

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Charge the battery fully and leave it in the coach. A fully charged battery will not freeze. There have been several discussions on this subject, use the search function.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    Charge the battery fully and leave it in the coach. A fully charged battery will not freeze. There have been several discussions on this subject, use the search function.
    Is this not for lead-acid batteries? The OP has lithium ion batteries.
    @Cindideb will your slide not operate on just the converter/charger? If so, you could pull the batteries and then pull the slide in on shore power (if available where you're storing your unit).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the price of lithium, I'd prefer to bring them inside, if possible of course. Just my 2 cents for an $800 battery. I believe @Second Chance is correct, your converter should still be supplying 12v when on shore power (could be a generator) without a battery. I have a disconnect directly on my battery and when I'm connected to shore, 12v items work.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi! The batteries are definitely lithium’s (Battle Borns). Could I test your theory by plugging into shore power, disconnecting the battery at the battery disconnect, and then trying the slide? If the slide works on shore power with the battery disconnected, then I’d be in good shape as we have power where we store it. Stay tuned… I’m going to try that!
    Cindi DeBoer
    Brand New to RVing
    Colorado Springs CO

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m going to disconnect the battery at the battery disconnect on the RV, connect to shore and see if the slide will still work. If it does, that solves the problem. (The dealer told us that the slide only works on battery, which does not make sense to me???) Stay tuned…
    Cindi DeBoer
    Brand New to RVing
    Colorado Springs CO

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi! The batteries are definitely lithium’s (Battle Borns). Could I test your theory by plugging into shore power, disconnecting the battery at the battery disconnect, and then trying the slide? If the slide works on shore power with the battery disconnected, then I’d be in good shape as we have power where we store it. Stay tuned… I’m going to try that!
    I'm not sure who you're addressing here, Cindi (you can use "Reply With Quote" as I have done here).

Yes - that would be the way to find out if the converter/charger puts out enough 12VDC current to operate the slide. On the big hydraulic units, it probably doesn't; you should have a Schwintek electric slide which, I believe, requires less power. Be very careful to isolate/insulate the positive battery leads when you disconnect them. The converter/charger will still be putting out power and shorting one of the positive leads to ground could cause damage.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m going to disconnect the battery at the battery disconnect on the RV, connect to shore and see if the slide will still work. If it does, that solves the problem. (The dealer told us that the slide only works on battery, which does not make sense to me???) Stay tuned…
    In my momentum I have to have batteries as the converter is not strong enough to run the hydraulics very well. If I pull negative terminal at battery I lose 12v to the trailer entirely. I can bypass the battery and everything works except the hydraulics (I mean they work, but it's a strain on the system so I don't do it).

Newly full timing in our 2021 Momentum 395MS-R with our tow pig being a 2021 F-450 KR

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I'm not sure who you're addressing here, Cindi (you can use "Reply With Quote" as I have done here).

Yes - that would be the way to find out if the converter/charger puts out enough 12VDC current to operate the slide. On the big hydraulic units, it probably doesn't; you should have a Schwintek electric slide which, I believe, requires less power. Be very careful to isolate/insulate the positive battery leads when you disconnect them. The converter/charger will still be putting out power and shorting one of the positive leads to ground could cause damage.

Rob
    Rob,

Hi, not sure if I’m posting this correctly, so hopefully it goes to you. The slide won’t work on shore alone, we had to engage the batteries (sad face). I’d love to hear your thoughts on if we should move the batteries to bring them inside for the winter…it sounds like it’s okay to leave lithium batteries outside all winter….? Thanks!
    Cindi DeBoer
    Brand New to RVing
    Colorado Springs CO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast