User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pin weight vs.payload vs. hitch weight

Apologies in advance as I think I've asked this question before. Hitch=Pin=payload?

Ordering a 310GK-R tomorrow and am trying to finalize whether I can include the options that I want, and if not which to drop (mainly washer/dryer because of location). We aren't full-timers but multiple month or more trips in the works each year. and want to be self sufficient as much as possible. I have time to work the washer/dryer if that puts me over since it would be dealer installed but really want to finalize factory options.

Options:
    Dual-pane
    Factory solar with 2 AGMs
    Factory generator
    King bed
    Slide toppers
    Heat pump

Assuming that most (except generator/batteries/propane) will not be 100% add to payload.

Have CAT scaled my truck and am just a little confused about the difference between pin weight and payload. I think I get the payload but question is whether pin/hitch weight is related to the rear GAWR or is the same as payload? Cat scale results (payload on sticker 4014) below:

5560 front axle (truck rated at 6000)
    3460 rear axle (truck rated at 7000)
    gross weight (full tanks, wife and myself) 9020 (truck rated at 12,300)

Leaves me with a payload of 3280 and 3540 left for rear axle. So I can be outside of the payload of the truck but still be ok with rear axle?

Planning on a reese goosebox and starting with the existing SRW.

When I bought the TV last year, it was also my daily commuter with frequent trips between NH and NC but now looking at retiring soon (wife retires Tuesday and I haven't set a date but it will be soon) and those 15-16 hour drives in one day drove us to having our own place to stay and not in hotels (been doing that across the country for my entire work career). Yeah I put the cart before the horse but it is what it is for now.
    Thanks,
    John & Robin
    Last edited by ajg617; 08-29-2021 at 06:50 PM.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your maximum pin weight will be your maximum payload. Payload is what you get when you subtract what the truck actually weighs full of gas, occupants, and
    assorted paraphernalia adding weight to your truck, from the GVWR. Some people figure you can pretty much carry whatever you want as long as you don't
    exceed your RAWR. Everything, and I mean everything, carried in, or on, the truck subtracts from the payload. So you have figure your weight of your hitch and
    anything you carry in the bed, and subtract that from your GVWR to arrive at your truck's payload.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3280 isn’t much payload left once you add the hitch and anything else in the truck for that model trailer

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Your maximum pin weight will be your maximum payload. Payload is what you get when you subtract what the truck actually weighs full of gas, occupants, and
    assorted paraphernalia adding weight to your truck, from the GVWR. Some people figure you can pretty much carry whatever you want as long as you don't
    exceed your RAWR. Everything, and I mean everything, carried in, or on, the truck subtracts from the payload. So you have figure your weight of your hitch and
    anything you carry in the bed, and subtract that from your GVWR to arrive at your truck's payload.
    Thanks Howard. Was really dumb not to look at the sticker of the one in the lot which had some extras. Will do that tomorrow. Bottom line 3280 is what I have to work with then. Only thing in the bed will be goose ball to start unless I want to add 5 gal of extra diesel. Anything else I'll put in pass thru.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    3280 isn’t much payload left once you add the hitch and anything else in the truck for that model trailer

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    3280 is with full tanks and both wife and I in truck. Dealer options took up the rest. Only thing else in the truck will be goose ball so far.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pin weight vs.payload vs. hitch weight

Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    3280 is with full tanks and both wife and I in truck. Dealer options took up the rest. Only thing else in the truck will be goose ball so far.
    Many have quoted their pin weight to be 3200lbs with the 310
    That likely includes the washer/dryer though
    @Second Chance

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Last edited by NB Canada; 08-29-2021 at 07:41 PM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Many have quoted their pin weight to be 3200lbs with the 310
    That likely includes the washer/dryer though
    @Second Chance

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew