User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    It's going to take something innovative and different to bring dealers back from the stone age!!
    Would probably have to be a higher-end manufacturer, someone who can command higher prices. Set up a showroom with an example of every single unit they produce. No-haggle online pricing. Deliver directly to the customer's home.

I think it could only work with a premium product. At least at first. Because the units couldn't be slapped together and then thrown at the customer after a quick PDI.

Then they should contract with a network of approved mobile RV techs to handle most common issues. Maybe work a deal with one of the roadside assistance outfits as well, make it a package deal. Bring a customer into the fold, get them deep into a proprietary ecosystem, make it good so they don't want to leave and they come right back to you for their next one.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With baby boomers retiring RV sales are not going to slow any time soon then add the covid supply issues to the equasion. Talking with Don at the rally he does not see the pricing to fall any time soon (he was talking years) and if it does it will not be large drops. Looks like if any of us want a new trailer or upgrade there is no choice but to suck it up and pay high dollars...or go lightly used if possible
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rootusrootus View Post
    Would probably have to be a higher-end manufacturer, someone who can command higher prices. Set up a showroom with an example of every single unit they produce. No-haggle online pricing. Deliver directly to the customer's home.

I think it could only work with a premium product. At least at first. Because the units couldn't be slapped together and then thrown at the customer after a quick PDI.

Then they should contract with a network of approved mobile RV techs to handle most common issues. Maybe work a deal with one of the roadside assistance outfits as well, make it a package deal. Bring a customer into the fold, get them deep into a proprietary ecosystem, make it good so they don't want to leave and they come right back to you for their next one.
    You have presented some great marketing ideas, but it's doubtful we will ever see it in the travel trailer/5th wheel market segment. You are right, it would take a very high end manufacturer to implement a plan of this type.

And really, why would they in times like today when they can throw trailers together and command a hefty price, selling all they can manufacture. Inflation will always drive prices higher, but at some point (no one can predict) demand and price increases will definitely fall. It's the business cycle.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpisano View Post
    Based on the historic volume of sales, everyone and their uncle buying RVs, combined with workforce and supply chain shortages all manufacturers are experiencing, I recommend waiting, if you can, to purchase until volumes stabilize. With factories outstripping capacity in their plants, everyone, including component suppliers experiencing the same issues, there is about 90% more quality problems, short-cuts being taken, and the inherent issues that all combine to create the perfect storm.

In addition, in about 12-24 months, about 30% of all these new RVs being purchased by first-timers will be on the market being sold for steep discounts when they realize they paid $90K on payments for something they stay in 10 nights/year and/or camping is a lot more work then it seemed while perusing the RV lot :-) Many of the issues they find based on the junk being turned out will be caught and fixed by the time you buy it.

All that said, now is the worst time to buy virtually "anything" new based on the overheating inflation and supply constraints. With the massive stimilus being pumped, we are about 1-2 years away from a bad recession IMO. Going to be bargains.

As stated above, this flashed across my phone today! Its already started to happen. "Dealers getting calls to buy back new RVs".. Massive glut in secondary market will depress manufacturer demand at some point.

https://www.rvtravel.com/dealers-sta...upgrade-1018b/
    David Pisano
    2018 Imagine 2950RL

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpisano View Post
    As stated above, this flashed across my phone today! Its already started to happen. "Dealers getting calls to buy back new RVs".. Massive glut in secondary market will depress manufacturer demand at some point.

https://www.rvtravel.com/dealers-sta...upgrade-1018b/
    That same article states:

We are starting to see our core customers come back. We haven’t seen that in a long time.”

One New England dealer said while sales volume at his dealership was down 20 percent year over year due to a lack of inventory, his margins were more than double those of a year ago. “Everyone is making more money than before,” he said. “We just can’t get inventory.”

They still selling them faster than they can make them and at inflated prices. I also believe that there has to be some sort of snap back but to what extent is the question. I'm not so sure it will be as extensive as I used to think it would be.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last weekend I drove 700 miles down I5 between Portland and central California, and I was struck by the RV dealers along the freeway. All of them are full of RVs. Maybe it's only the dealers along the freeway, but I'm skeptical that there is still a significant shortage nationwide.

Unrelated -- I also passed a truckload of Teslas going north every 5-10 minutes. Dang! Churning those babies out...
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    That same article states:

We are starting to see our core customers come back. We haven’t seen that in a long time.”

One New England dealer said while sales volume at his dealership was down 20 percent year over year due to a lack of inventory, his margins were more than double those of a year ago. “Everyone is making more money than before,” he said. “We just can’t get inventory.”

They still selling them faster than they can make them and at inflated prices. I also believe that there has to be some sort of snap back but to what extent is the question. I'm not so sure it will be as extensive as I used to think it would be.
    Time is not on my side to wait which is why we ordered our 310GK-R a couple of weeks back. Suffice to say, with the many units waiting for rear awnings at GD, I suspect the 13 week delivery given to us is a bit optimistic unless the dealer could mod one already in production (they are large enough to do that). Also, in northern New England, there isn't much of a used inventory to date except for the very large full-time summer home types which we were not interested in. The only 310GK we found used within 500 miles was a heavily modified 2021 with almost no miles and a price of $74K. What I wanted required an order and I'm fully prepared for the quality issues that might arise - just not willing to delay a 2nd year.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rootusrootus View Post
    Last weekend I drove 700 miles down I5 between Portland and central California, and I was struck by the RV dealers along the freeway. All of them are full of RVs. Maybe it's only the dealers along the freeway, but I'm skeptical that there is still a significant shortage nationwide.

Unrelated -- I also passed a truckload of Teslas going north every 5-10 minutes. Dang! Churning those babies out...
    The General dealer just down the interstate from my house is a little better than it has been but I estimate its at about 50% of its normal inventory. I drive by it every day. They do a pretty good just of spreading them out to look better than they really are. Most are 5th wheels. When I bought mine they said that was the easiest type of RV to get. The smaller travel trailers and especially motorized units were very hard to get.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Time is not on my side to wait which is why we ordered our 310GK-R a couple of weeks back. Suffice to say, with the many units waiting for rear awnings at GD, I suspect the 13 week delivery given to us is a bit optimistic unless the dealer could mod one already in production (they are large enough to do that). Also, in northern New England, there isn't much of a used inventory to date except for the very large full-time summer home types which we were not interested in. The only 310GK we found used within 500 miles was a heavily modified 2021 with almost no miles and a price of $74K. What I wanted required an order and I'm fully prepared for the quality issues that might arise - just not willing to delay a 2nd year.
    Same here. We ordered a heavily modded 382WB-R a couple of weeks back and worked out >20% discount from a large dealer that I'll have to travel for. All of the local dealers within 400-500 miles wanted $10k-10% nonrefundable deposits and would barely discuss any type of significant discount. At least, I've got a whole shop full of tools and mechanical aptitude to deal with any quality issues that arise.
    Matt & Danielle
    2022 F350 DRW Platinum 6.7L
    2022 Solitude 382WB-R, 8k Morryde IS/Disc, DPW, FBP, 5.5kw Onan, 1kAh BB, Victron MPii 2x120
    Engineer, Cattle Rancher/Grass Farmer, Aviator

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renovatio1791 View Post
    Same here. We ordered a heavily modded 382WB-R a couple of weeks back and worked out >20% discount from a large dealer that I'll have to travel for. All of the local dealers within 400-500 miles wanted $10k-10% nonrefundable deposits and would barely discuss any type of significant discount. At least, I've got a whole shop full of tools and mechanical aptitude to deal with any quality issues that arise.
    Luckily, our dealer is 20 minutes from home and will hold the unit over the winter on their lot so we can start provisioning and take some 80 foot pines down so we can get it in our driveway. >20% discount and $500 refundable down. Smaller dealer up north wanted $10K non-refundable to order. Get to buy some new tools
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast