User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rear Sag

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wjpatter View Post
    A couple of questions that I don't see in any of the responses. How much does your bed sag when you load it? I would expect 1 - 1 1/2 ". How much clearance do you have between the cap and the bed? My hitch has 3 height positions which allowed me to level the trailer.
    You need at least 6" between the top of the bed rails and the bottom of the trailer.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My F250 has a special rear suspension option that puts an overload leaf in there. I also have a pair of AirRide 5000 air bags with the Schraeder valves on the license plate.

Since I tow my fifth wheel seldom, using an air tank to put a couple of puffs in the bags is no big deal. If I towed often and far, the compressor would be the way to go.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mUSt bE spECial

Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Adding springs is good, but will not change your CCC. There are two strikes against towing above the CCC on the sticker.

First is, if you have an accident, your insurance company can make the claim that your truck was towing more weight than the manufacturer stated, and deny your claim.

Second, if you get pulled over by DOT, in any state, they can request to weight your rig. If you refuse, as is your right, they will cite you for something (I don't remember/know what). If the do consent, they can cite you for being over weight. Both are pretty expensive tickets, and might cost you your license; which means your rig gets towed.

My recommendation is Sumo Springs. No air inflation needed. Helps level the tow vehicle. I'll be adding them to both my F350 and my 320MKS 5ver.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Miss information, If you don`t know don`t say anything you could miss lead someone and cause them problems.

FRirst one: This is 100% incorrect your insurance will pay for your stupidity in a accident. This is one of reasons for insurance. They will pay up to the limits of your policy.

SEcond: When is the last time you saw a camper pulled over and being weighed? 42 years of camping ...never. Any state Dot dose not pull over campers and randomly do a weight checks. This is why you don`t have to pull into weigh stations and get weighed like trucks do.

ThiRd: Sumo springs don`t level a camper or truck. They help when you have over loaded your truck and it sags ( over loaded ) add leaf springs up to your axle rating, buy a bigger truck. If you have put them on your camper because you have over loaded your springs and it is sagging you need to reduce the the weight you carry.
    Last edited by bshgto; 09-09-2021 at 07:46 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I've heard these same arguments for years, but no one has ever produced an evidence that either one of them has ever
    happened.

Just curious, if the DOT pulled you over and weighed you, what would they determine is overweight? What numbers do they use? GCWR, GVWR, GAWR, a combination of all
    of the above?

Again, I've never heard of anyone with first hand experience of being denied coverage based on their weight, in case of an accident. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, I've
    just never heard of it happening.
    State truck enforcement teams are only interested in commercial motor carrier trucking regulations. They have zero interest in RVs.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtnmaverick View Post
    I had the same sagging concerns. (About 2 1/2 inches of sag) Completed putting air bags on this summer and it takes about 24-30 psi to eliminate sag completely. I did not install a compressor and find the amount of air required to fill to 30 psi is not a lot. Hand pump works in less than a couple minutes and a small 12 volt compressor is mere seconds. Trailer is level and what I notice is: No change in sway when passing or being passed by big rigs. Wasn't a problem before and no change. Headlights no longer blind on-coming traffic - Did get complaints from oncoming traffic if towing at night and I have better illumination. And what I notice and appreciate most is the front end returns to normal height VS being raised when bed sags. I believe I have better steering control. My intent is not to change weight ratings and to eliminate sag and good so far this summer. I did consider some of the other systems (Summo, Timbrens,etc.) and read complaints about driveability/comfort when not trailering. So this was my solution and I now have an additional inflation check when towing. BTW, mostly Colorado mountain driving. Good luck with your decision.
    You got bad info. Timbren springs have no contact with the frame until loaded. They are a superb choice and do not effect unloaded ride.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malco1 View Post
    You can't make an F-250 into an F-350 because in some states they are in different classes. A 350 or 3500 in some states are considered commercial, because their gross weight is over 10,000#. I have added Timbrens to my F250. They are inexpensive and easy to install yourself if you don't mind laying under the truck. It does not need to be jacked up. Timbrens don't effect your unloaded ride and my rear only lowers about 1.5"
    MY 2500 has a GVWR that's over 10K? Would this also be classifies as a commercial vehicle? Just curious what state/states this is? In Texas, I believe this is not true, any clarification is helpful!
    2020 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Gasser
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And to answer your original questions BOB, take a look at these.....

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Sus...ID=20204042504

I personally have not purchased them yet but that are on my Christmas list! They DO NOT increase your capacity but they do level the load your are already carrying!!! Curious what others think and if anyone has used these.
    2020 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Gasser
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tgunter5 View Post
    MY 2500 has a GVWR that's over 10K? Would this also be classifies as a commercial vehicle? Just curious what state/states this is? In Texas, I believe this is not true, any clarification is helpful!
    It would appear that any state can require stricter regs than the Feds. And can enforce them, in state. But it would appear the using the vehicle "commercially" is where the Federal DOT can step in.
    Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 09-09-2021 at 01:46 PM.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tgunter5 View Post
    In Cali, my 1 ton which carries a GVWR of 11,500 pounds is registered as a commercial vehicle.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    Measured at the wheel wells, there is a three inch difference between hited and unhitched height. I'd like for the truck to stay level, but I don't want something that involves inflating/deflating. What are my options.
    I have read, but can not verify that a F250 can be made to match the payload capacity of a F350 by adding leaf springs in the rear. Is there any truth to this or is just Internet dribble?
    The truck handles great and there are no issues towing the camper, just would like to get rid of the sag.
    Not sure about changing out the entire leaf pack but as Bamaman has stated, F250s can be had with the upper overload leaf. The brackets for the "bump stop" should be bolt on. By adding the overload, this might help with sag once weight is put into the bed. If you go the overload spring route, you can change the engagement bushing a taller one to have them engage sooner if needed but not touch when unloaded.
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast