User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Dish or Direct?

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. My vote is for DISH for a lot of reasons, mostly because I feel the user interface makes more sense and their customer service is 5-stars...in my experience.

That being said, depending on where you camp, the tailgater-type, self-contained, 'set it down and your done' dishes are very convenient. However, unless you have a perfectly clear view of the southwestern or southeastern sky (depending on whether you are eastern or western denizens), you may have a hard time getting a signal good enough to be able to watch TV.

Case in point: We are currently at a State Park in Michigan for vacation. My brother is camped next to us. I have been using a DISH 1000.2 (western arc) dish with a basic HD receiver (no Hopper) for several years for vacations and another at home for regular TV (the upstairs receiver goes on the road when we do). Using a home-made $35 tripod with parts from Lowes, a pocket compass, a small TV monitor to connect to the receiver for setup, and two pieces of aluminum foil I can usually have my dish set in about 20-30 minutes. At this campsite there are several large trees at exactly the azimuth (the horizontal angle from true north) where I needed to point the dish. All satellite dish settings are available by zip code.

I moved the dish 3 or 4 times and finally found a decent signal for satellites 119 and 129, but not 110. This will allow us to watch 95% of the channels (in HD) in our subscription. My brother has a tailgater dish. We moved his at least 10 times. Setting his dish in front of my dish looking in the exact same direction his satellite reception was HALF of mine due to the much smaller surface area (maybe 25%) of the dish used in the tailgater. Such a weak signal was not watchable.

Another benefit of the 1000.2 dish is that you can connect up to 3 separate receivers to the one dish. We ended up connecting my brothers receiver to my dish as well.

Sorry for the long explanation but setting up your own dish manually is not difficult, but it does take more time. Admittedly the tailgater is much less work, but a much clearer view of the sky is required! Go with DISH, not DIRECT. You won't be disappointed. If already had DISH at home, an extra receiver is only $7/month while activated!
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnac View Post
    Gave up the Dish/Directv stuff two years ago and went with YouTube TV. $65 a month and all you need is their app on your phone and or log in at home on your smart tv. You get all of your locals and when traveling you get all of your channels plus locals. When traveling I plug lightning plug cord into phone with HDMI plug on other end into tv and watch whatever I desire. Plus DVR all built into app. Of course you have to have cell phone coverage. Was in Auburn Alabama this weekend for game and taped 6 games which I can breeze thru today. Check it out.
    That works if you still have a stix 'n brix - not for full-timers.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fez111 View Post
    Hi. My vote is for DISH for a lot of reasons, mostly because I feel the user interface makes more sense and their customer service is 5-stars...in my experience.

That being said, depending on where you camp, the tailgater-type, self-contained, 'set it down and your done' dishes are very convenient. However, unless you have a perfectly clear view of the southwestern or southeastern sky (depending on whether you are eastern or western denizens), you may have a hard time getting a signal good enough to be able to watch TV.

Case in point: We are currently at a State Park in Michigan for vacation. My brother is camped next to us. I have been using a DISH 1000.2 (western arc) dish with a basic HD receiver (no Hopper) for several years for vacations and another at home for regular TV (the upstairs receiver goes on the road when we do). Using a home-made $35 tripod with parts from Lowes, a pocket compass, a small TV monitor to connect to the receiver for setup, and two pieces of aluminum foil I can usually have my dish set in about 20-30 minutes. At this campsite there are several large trees at exactly the azimuth (the horizontal angle from true north) where I needed to point the dish. All satellite dish settings are available by zip code.

I moved the dish 3 or 4 times and finally found a decent signal for satellites 119 and 129, but not 110. This will allow us to watch 95% of the channels (in HD) in our subscription. My brother has a tailgater dish. We moved his at least 10 times. Setting his dish in front of my dish looking in the exact same direction his satellite reception was HALF of mine due to the much smaller surface area (maybe 25%) of the dish used in the tailgater. Such a weak signal was not watchable.

Another benefit of the 1000.2 dish is that you can connect up to 3 separate receivers to the one dish. We ended up connecting my brothers receiver to my dish as well.

Sorry for the long explanation but setting up your own dish manually is not difficult, but it does take more time. Admittedly the tailgater is much less work, but a much clearer view of the sky is required! Go with DISH, not DIRECT. You won't be disappointed. If already had DISH at home, an extra receiver is only $7/month while activated!
    Fez111.....where in Michigan are you?
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    I've never had either......we have Cox cable at home.....just qant something for the road.....so:

Dish or Direct and what antenna works best?
    We have the standard antenna in our 230, just don't know if it's best.
    Thanks all.
    IMO for a home setup DTV is the way to go, the picture and sound are far superior to Dish.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malco1 View Post
    IMO for a home setup DTV is the way to go, the picture and sound are far superior to Dish.
    They are both digital HD... how do you come to this conclusion?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    They are both digital HD... how do you come to this conclusion?

Rob
    Bandwidth

Direct traditionally has been considered as having the better picture quality since they more bandwidth available. Less compression better picture. It’s not really glaring, probably only noticeable on larger tv sizes and then only if your the type that is really picky. Until they put up a bunch of satellites in the mid 00’s they were one of the worst for HD. They were stuffing a bunch of channels per transponder and it was pretty bad.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malco1 View Post
    I didn’t finish my post, on the road Dish is the way to go. You can get HD and pay monthly, so if you are part time you only pay when you use it.

When I had Direct about 4 years ago at home you could get 1080p I bet the resolution is even higher now. There was also 2 3D channels which worked pretty well if you like that kind of thing
    Last edited by Malco1; 09-14-2021 at 08:38 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all.....much appreciated.
    Ray
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where can one buy a Pathway X2 antenna and Wally bundle at the best price? I see that dishformyrv.com has some good prices. I probably also need the stand and 2TB expansion drive.

Thanks

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky2 View Post
    Where can one buy a Pathway X2 antenna and Wally bundle at the best price? I see that dishformyrv.com has some good prices. I probably also need the stand and 2TB expansion drive.

Thanks
    A quick check on Google Shopping comes up with several good deals. OpenSignal.com seems to be the lowest price - but I don't know if it includes shipping.

https://www.google.com/search?q=path..._AUoAXoECAEQAw

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast