User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have used dry lube before as well, i will need to check my door and make sure i don't have the dissolving reality.
    thanks for the info!!!
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daltontrio View Post
    So what is recommended to lube our door latches/locks?
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-Gra...ricant/1244381
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use lock-ease. But only from the outside, haven't tried lubing from the inside. It does dissolve polystyrene a little, though you'd have to put a *lot* down to do significant damage.

If I were going to lube the latches from the inside, I'd just take them out of the door first. It's only a couple screws.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rootusrootus View Post
    If I were going to lube the latches from the inside, I'd just take them out of the door first. It's only a couple screws.
    I'm with you on this. I just took my storage compartment latches off and lubed them and it was quick and easy. The other thing is how little lube (I used Lubriplate grease) it takes. There are only a couple of places that lube is needed, so spraying anything from the outside is way overkill. I have not taken my entry door lock apart so it may be more complicated.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    I'm with you on this. I just took my storage compartment latches off and lubed them and it was quick and easy. The other thing is how little lube (I used Lubriplate grease) it takes. There are only a couple of places that lube is needed, so spraying anything from the outside is way overkill. I have not taken my entry door lock apart so it may be more complicated.
    I should clarify -- when I say 'from the outside' I mean squirting some lock-ease (which is just graphite in a solvent that evaporates) into the keyhole
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Polystyrene can be dissolved by most every organic solvent. Much of Blaster's products contain one organic solvent or the other.

Should be able to find a YouTube video with Blaster dissolving it as it was part of a series of Blaster Corp videos.
    @powerscol, I have a trick to fill the "burrow" if you didn't already make something up.
    Thanks Rob, but I got it done Posted at the other place. However what is you trick as I still need to tweak mine a bit.

Thanks Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As easy as it is to pull the lock (6 screws) I would pull it and then lube - you can do a better job that way too.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My door didn't want to close easily. Kept having to slam it more and more. I bought a bar of soap (Dove but doubt it matters) and rubbed it on the strike plate and on the latch itself. It latched easily for the past week of camping we just finished.

Cheap and simple even if you need to rub the latch with soap once a week. Slides like a dream.

Terry
    Terry, Patty, Sophie (Great Pyrenees) and Tessa (German Shep/Pyr Mix)
    2020 Reflection 297RSTS
    2021 F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW 6.75' bed /6.7L Diesel/3.55 electronic locking axle

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Thanks Rob, but I got it done Posted at the other place. However what is you trick as I still need to tweak mine a bit.

Thanks Keith
    Keith, when you get your can of low expansion spray foam, go to the plumbing aisle and find the polyethylene tubing (milky and semi-rigid). Get the size that matches the nozzle that came with the can. You can then make your own super long nozzle. Just warm the trigger section of the one that came with it so you can slip off the 6-8" straw. Then warm the end of the tubing you bought till you can slip it on the trigger section. Cut the new tube to a length that you can slip all the way down to the bottom of the burrow. Then simply squeeze and slowly extract it.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a product called "Houdini" which I got from a locksmith. I've found it lubed and loosened a frozen lock (took a bit of time and working the lock). Dries quickly without leaving a sticky residue. Also leaves a pleasant lemon smell.

A bit expensive, but it has saved us more than triple the price in clearing frozen door locks in vehicles, got padlocks to work again and lube door latches. Best thing I've found in over 50 years. And I've tried a lot of "fixes", with most ending up with padlocks in the trash. No more with Houdini.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast