User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lithium Batteries

I know it's a good thing to change the 12 volt battery for two 6 volt batteries, good thing in many ways.

My question for weight purposes, can you add two 6 volt lithiums the same as you can two lead acid 6 volts?

Also...does anyone have any pictures of the basement area with the two 6 volt conversion maybe even with a kill switch in the mix?

Thanks all

Ray
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The advantage of lifepo4 over 2 6v is a fraction of the size and weight, more ah and charge circles. A 100ah lifepo4 will be roughly the same size as it's LA counterpart but a friction of the weight. The biggest downside is the initial cost but over its life cycle it becomes cheaper.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    I know it's a good thing to change the 12 volt battery for two 6 volt batteries, good thing in many ways.

My question for weight purposes, can you add two 6 volt lithiums the same as you can two lead acid 6 volts?

Also...does anyone have any pictures of the basement area with the two 6 volt conversion maybe even with a kill switch in the mix?

Thanks all

Ray
    You won't gain anything by going 2 6v lithium, unless you can find ones with much higher capacity than a 12v one. And no, the amps don't add. So if each 6v is 100 Ah, that's still what you will have with two, same as one 12v 100Ah. Each one will have it's own management system built in, which complicates how you wire them for charging. Because of the management system and the case, the total space occupied will be a bit more, and there will be a modest increase in weight. The trick works with Lead-Acids only because the 6v's are essentially bigger, allowing them to have more capacity.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thanks all

Ray
    Over the last 17 years I have used 2 12 volt batteries, then 2 6 volt golf cart batteries. Both set ups were lead acid. When I purchased my Solitude in April it had 2 group 27 batteries & since I had a residential refrigerator I upgraded to 2 12 volt group 31 AGM batteries at a cost of $550. I was ignorant of how lithium batteries worked. Those 2 105 AH batteries only gave me 105 AH since you should not discharge them below 50%. In addition the 2 batteries combined weight was 140 pounds. Later I learned that one Lithium iron phosphate battery of 100 AH gives you 100% of its 100 AH. This is because the 100 AH is not the true capacity of the battery but it’s usable capacity. Most good lithium batteries have an internal BIM which shuts down the battery before it can be damaged. One 100 AH lithium battery weighs 26 pounds. I learned this as I educated myself on solar. Of course I went overboard & ended up installing 4 lithium batteries & 8 200 watt solar panels. But I no longer worry about not finding a RV park with available sites because I can run one AC for several hours, use my television & make coffee the next morning. Maybe I overdid it & maybe my kids will get less money when I’m gone but it sure is convenient.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers
    Travel 6 months each year

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't ever do 6V batteries anyway, unless it was the only way I could get the capacity I needed. It doubles the failure points since neither battery can be used by itself. Better to get dual 12V batteries, even if they are lower capacity each, so there is some redundancy.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rootusrootus View Post
    I wouldn't ever do 6V batteries anyway, unless it was the only way I could get the capacity I needed. It doubles the failure points since neither battery can be used by itself. Better to get dual 12V batteries, even if they are lower capacity each, so there is some redundancy.
    Two 12 vilt Lithium or lead?

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two 12 vilt Lithium or lead?
    Lithium for sure, I'm never doing lead acid again. The performance advantage of the lithium is worth the price premium in my opinion, and the price gap has closed significantly. LFP is already cheaper in the long term, but there are retail lithium battery options now which are really close to price parity with a decent lead acid.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lithium for sure, I'm never doing lead acid again. The performance advantage of the lithium is worth the price premium in my opinion, and the price gap has closed significantly. LFP is already cheaper in the long term, but there are retail lithium battery options now which are really close to price parity with a decent lead acid.
    Thanks rootus, what charger do i need? I'm not planning in solar for awhile, will they charge hooked to the truck?
    Do i need to add a charger/inverter, how does that work.
    Thanks again.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks rootus, what charger do i need? I'm not planning in solar for awhile, will they charge hooked to the truck?
    Do i need to add a charger/inverter, how does that work.
    Thanks again.
    You can technically get away with the OE converter, if you get a drop-in lithium battery (like a Battleborn, but others are similar). Ideally you would replace the OE converter with one that understands it is charging a lithium, as it will do a better job (faster, and it will fully charge it, a lead acid charger probably won't completely charge a lithium). Progressive Dynamics makes drop-in boards that can be used to upgrade WFCO converters. But it's hard to say exactly what option is best without knowing what converter your rig has now.

You can also go with a separate charger, and disable the OE converter. This is what I did. I use a Victron IP22 for when I am connected to shore power. It is installed next to the solar charge controller, and gets power from the plugin at the 'universal docking station'. Most of the time I just use solar since I'm much more likely to be boondocking than camping somewhere with hookups.

A charger/inverter is the fancy choice (and expensive!), but not necessary for just converting from lead acid to lithium. It's overkill, if you didn't also want to have a whole-rig inverter solution.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can technically get away with the OE converter, if you get a drop-in lithium battery (like a Battleborn, but others are similar). Ideally you would replace the OE converter with one that understands it is charging a lithium, as it will do a better job (faster, and it will fully charge it, a lead acid charger probably won't completely charge a lithium). Progressive Dynamics makes drop-in boards that can be used to upgrade WFCO converters. But it's hard to say exactly what option is best without knowing what converter your rig has now.

You can also go with a separate charger, and disable the OE converter. This is what I did. I use a Victron IP22 for when I am connected to shore power. It is installed next to the solar charge controller, and gets power from the plugin at the 'universal docking station'. Most of the time I just use solar since I'm much more likely to be boondocking than camping somewhere with hookups.

A charger/inverter is the fancy choice (and expensive!), but not necessary for just converting from lead acid to lithium. It's overkill, if you didn't also want to have a whole-rig inverter solution.
    Thanks so much.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast