Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looking for solar installer

We're located in southern Georgia and wondering if anyone can recommend a solar installer. I'm willing to go a reasonable distance (roughly 200-250 miles). I'd like to talk to someone who actually has done solar installation on a travel trailer. Our dealer has told us they haven't really worked with solar.

We have a 2020 Imagine 2600RB. Right now we have two Lion Energy UT 1300 lithium (210w total) and have room for an additional battery in the hitch battery box. Also have a Victron BMV-712 in the system, and use 200w Renergy suitcase solar through the side mount solar port, carry a 3200w inverter/generator and have installed a battery charger for lithium. I'm hoping an installer would be able to help determine best way to install and be able to give me the cost of installation.

I'd also like to hear if anyone has experience with a solar installation on this model. I'm thinking going with two 200w mono panels on the roof, 2KW inverter and being able to power up a tv with Dish receiver, charge 2 laptops, phones, etc and power for a Bi-pap in addition to the 12v systems (lights, pump, etc). I'm also wondering about a charger/inverter combo vs the existing battery charger and plug in inverters.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by more tired since retired; 09-14-2021 at 08:47 PM.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just had a solar install in late August. I researched a lot of companies. I contacted a whole bunch of them & most never even responded to my calls & emails. There is an attitude out there by businesses that are enjoying the RV boom. I think their attitudes will bite them in their backside after things return to normal because the ones that have this attitude will be slow to adapt to a new normal reality.

Having said that, I contacted Solar Energy Systems in Nappanee Indiana. They returned my call promptly & were able to accommodate me. This was not due to a lack of business on their part. They had a desire to actually help people. This company is owned by an Amish man. They are primarily a residential & commercial solar installer with many employees. In addition they have a shop with service bays that can handle any size RV. They did several big tandem axle motor homes while I was there. Try calling them. It’s a beautiful area to visit & since you want a smaller system it will be easier to fit you in.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers
    Travel 6 months each year

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This person specializes in RV solar and travels around the country doing it. You can contact them and see if/when they will be in the southeast:

https://precisionrv.com/

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    This person specializes in RV solar and travels around the country doing it. You can contact them and see if/when they will be in the southeast:

https://precisionrv.com/

Rob
    Great solution!
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I've contacted precisionrv.com and they will be in Phoenix. Unfortunately that won't work out for me.

I've been contacted by a local RV tech who has handled installs. One comment he made was we'd have to figure out the aerodynamics so the panels "won't fly off". That doesn't make a lot of sense to me since there are so many rigs with panels on the roof. I'm looking at about 400W on the roof (2X200w panels), using the clips supplied with the panels. Screw into the roof and eternabond to seal and prevent leaks.

Is taking aerodynamics something to worry about? Or do I just have to make sure the panels are install correctly?

Also anyone have suggestions for 200W(+) mono panels? I'm going through dealer web pages and am interested to hear any suggestions/experiences?
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by more tired since retired View Post
    Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I've contacted precisionrv.com and they will be in Phoenix. Unfortunately that won't work out for me.

I've been contacted by a local RV tech who has handled installs. One comment he made was we'd have to figure out the aerodynamics so the panels "won't fly off". That doesn't make a lot of sense to me since there are so many rigs with panels on the roof. I'm looking at about 400W on the roof (2X200w panels), using the clips supplied with the panels. Screw into the roof and eternabond to seal and prevent leaks.

Is taking aerodynamics something to worry about? Or do I just have to make sure the panels are install correctly?

Also anyone have suggestions for 200W(+) mono panels? I'm going through dealer web pages and am interested to hear any suggestions/experiences?
    As you said there are lots of vehicles with solar panels on their roofs. My installer used stainless clips & lag bolts with lots of Dicor for sealing against leaks & additional adhesion. Solar Energy Systems in Nappanee Indiana sells the 200 watt panels. They fit on RV roofs much better than the larger 300 watt panels. I paid $240 for each of the 8 panels. They also have the lowest prices on Victron products & Relion Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries. The 100 AH batteries are $850. They also install. Great company.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USA in a Chevrolet View Post
    As you said there are lots of vehicles with solar panels on their roofs. My installer used stainless clips & lag bolts with lots of Dicor for sealing against leaks & additional adhesion. Solar Energy Systems in Nappanee Indiana sells the 200 watt panels. They fit on RV roofs much better than the larger 300 watt panels. I paid $240 for each of the 8 panels. They also have the lowest prices on Victron products & Relion Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries. The 100 AH batteries are $850. They also install. Great company.
    Thanks for the tip. I've been in touch with Tim and working with him to put together a system using our batteries (Lion Energy UT-1300 x2, eventually going to 4) and within our budget. He is great to work with and if I can work out finances, he can get us in early Nov.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USA in a Chevrolet View Post
    I just had a solar install in late August. I researched a lot of companies. I contacted a whole bunch of them & most never even responded to my calls & emails. There is an attitude out there by businesses that are enjoying the RV boom. I think their attitudes will bite them in their backside after things return to normal because the ones that have this attitude will be slow to adapt to a new normal reality.

Having said that, I contacted Solar Energy Systems in Nappanee Indiana. They returned my call promptly & were able to accommodate me. This was not due to a lack of business on their part. They had a desire to actually help people. This company is owned by an Amish man. They are primarily a residential & commercial solar installer with many employees. In addition they have a shop with service bays that can handle any size RV. They did several big tandem axle motor homes while I was there. Try calling them. It’s a beautiful area to visit & since you want a smaller system it will be easier to fit you in.
    Thanks for sharing, I've made note of this company. We plan to have some panels and a Victron Multiplus installed next year. I've had trouble finding a local installer familiar with RV situations (they mostly do residential). I'd prefer a place that has experience with RVs.
    Last edited by Riverbug; 09-25-2021 at 06:02 AM.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might think about upgrading this year. There is a 26% tax credit for solar through the end of the year. It changes (downward) as of January 1. IRS will let you claim your RV as a second home. That's why I'm looking towards a November install.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by more tired since retired View Post
    You might think about upgrading this year. There is a 26% tax credit for solar through the end of the year. It changes (downward) as of January 1. IRS will let you claim your RV as a second home. That's why I'm looking towards a November install.
    Solar Energy Systems, the company I recommended did my install in late August & provided me with the form. As you said your trailer qualifies as a second home.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast