User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rootusrootus View Post
    You can technically get away with the OE converter, if you get a drop-in lithium battery (like a Battleborn, but others are similar). Ideally you would replace the OE converter with one that understands it is charging a lithium, as it will do a better job (faster, and it will fully charge it, a lead acid charger probably won't completely charge a lithium). Progressive Dynamics makes drop-in boards that can be used to upgrade WFCO converters. But it's hard to say exactly what option is best without knowing what converter your rig has now.

You can also go with a separate charger, and disable the OE converter. This is what I did. I use a Victron IP22 for when I am connected to shore power. It is installed next to the solar charge controller, and gets power from the plugin at the 'universal docking station'. Most of the time I just use solar since I'm much more likely to be boondocking than camping somewhere with hookups.

A charger/inverter is the fancy choice (and expensive!), but not necessary for just converting from lead acid to lithium. It's overkill, if you didn't also want to have a whole-rig inverter solution.
    We have never boon-docked, we like sewage hookup but would sooner or later like to put solar panels on.
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forget about the 6V batteries - just skip to the 12V LiFePo4 batteries. Smaller form factor and lighter weight. A 100Ah LiFePo4 batteries gives you the full 100ah rating unlike the 50% of a lead-acid battery. The LiFePo4's do cost more money up front - but when you factor in being able to use the fill capacity of the battery, and that they will last ~10yrs... they are cheaper in the long run.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    But...do a lot more learning before you take the plunge. There is an awful lot to like about converting to lithium, but it is different technology and so care and feeding are very different. One particular - you can use them in below freezing weather...but you should not charge them. A vendor that builds in a good battery management system will have some kind of temperature cutoff, to prevent that error. Some may have a solution to keep them warm enough to take a charge. Good systems will prevent actual 100% discharge, since doing so even once can ruin the battery. Good vendors will give you all the things you need to know to protect your investment. Others...may skip some of the details in the build or in the instructions. Seek input on the forums about any particular one you are interested in, and how well the vendor actually supports their product. It can be a bit of the wild west out there, so be wary about some of the super low deals that you may run across, until you get a better sense of it all.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is good advice.

If you're not price-sensitive, get a Battleborn and be done with it. Expensive, but the build quality is excellent (and somewhat unique, it's a cylindrical cell battery, not prismatic), their customer service is top notch, and they support using it as a drop-in replacement. The BMS will keep it from charging below freezing, overcharging, etc. They have a heated battery option, as well, if you routinely camp in subfreezing temperatures.

There are other good options at a similar price point, some with even more features. And then there are a bunch of options across the price scale. The most bang for your buck is a DIY setup where you build a complete battery by wiring up four cells and a BMS. This is not terribly difficult, but a lot of people won't want to do it. But there are midrange options for only a little more money. Ampere Time gets the stamp of approval as just about the cheapest option that has acceptable build quality, but the BMS may not cut off charging at cold temperatures. SOK Battery has a good reputation and costs a little more. But there's also Big Battery, or ECPC ("Electric Car Parts Company") as well, among others. Costco frequently has Lion Energy batteries on sale in pairs. Still on the expensive side, though.

All depends on what you're looking for. But there is certainly a reason BB does good business. They were early players in the RV lithium battery market, and they don't skimp, many people are willing to pay for that.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rootusrootus View Post
    That is good advice.

If you're not price-sensitive, get a Battleborn and be done with it. Expensive, but the build quality is excellent (and somewhat unique, it's a cylindrical cell battery, not prismatic), their customer service is top notch, and they support using it as a drop-in replacement. The BMS will keep it from charging below freezing, overcharging, etc. They have a heated battery option, as well, if you routinely camp in subfreezing temperatures.

There are other good options at a similar price point, some with even more features. And then there are a bunch of options across the price scale. The most bang for your buck is a DIY setup where you build a complete battery by wiring up four cells and a BMS. This is not terribly difficult, but a lot of people won't want to do it. But there are midrange options for only a little more money. Ampere Time gets the stamp of approval as just about the cheapest option that has acceptable build quality, but the BMS may not cut off charging at cold temperatures. SOK Battery has a good reputation and costs a little more. But there's also Big Battery, or ECPC ("Electric Car Parts Company") as well, among others. Costco frequently has Lion Energy batteries on sale in pairs. Still on the expensive side, though.

All depends on what you're looking for. But there is certainly a reason BB does good business. They were early players in the RV lithium battery market, and they don't skimp, many people are willing to pay for that.
    BB’s are great. I used Relion which is a good brand also. Solar Energy sells them for $850 for 100 AH
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers
    Travel 6 months each year

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USA in a Chevrolet View Post
    BB’s are great. I used Relion which is a good brand also. Solar Energy sells them for $850 for 100 AH
    I wonder if we will see prices on the more expensive options drop a bit now that competition is bringing more choices to the market. BB has had their 100Ah battery on sale now for the last couple months for $800.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put in 4 100 Amp AIMS POWER LIFEPO4 DEEP CYCLE BATTERIES WITH BLUETOOTH MONITORING
    $749.00
    They come highly rated too. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am cheap and use rv parks more than dry camping. But we do like the option to go off grid glamping, So we have 4 6 volt fla batteries.($600), 3 160 watt panels on the roof($750), Aims 3000 watt inverter and a used honda 3000is generator. Yes I have to put water in the batteries every month or two but we can dry camp for a week easy. And the wife can use her hair dryer. I can watch the 49" tv every night for a couple of hours(when there is a signal). And when the sun doesn't shine enough, I fire up the genny! Three years and my batteries are still working 100%. We do live in Canada so in the winter the trailer is plugged in to keep the batteries charged up!
    2018 344GK. 2018 Chevy 3500 dually.
    Live every moment, because every day is a good day when the sun comes up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2BA94B36-F4C1-4FD6-A9E0-1D0EE366883F.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	36946

Here is a set up in the pass through, the batteries are behind the wall, running a transfer switch, inverter, and solar charger. The battery isolation switch that came on the coach was moved so it still works the same as before
    Breaker/disconnect for the solar panels is accessed next to charger, inverter breaker/disconnect is behind the wall next to inverter
    Last edited by Godspeed; 09-29-2021 at 02:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank for the info. Battleborn told me that I would need an array of 6 100ah batteries to power everything in my 50amp rig, swap charger/inverter, add a monitor, and recommended professional installation. Since I only boone dock a couple times a year, I elected to go with two 110 ah AGMs $540 and bouth two Onan 4500 generators $1400 ea with the parallel plug setup for 50amp.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast