User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the road with refrigerator problem.

Good morning. The fridge started getting warmer over the last day. I opened the back panel and there is some yellow material on the lowest pipe I can see and on the bottom. It also appears that a small tube has a burn hole in it. I’m trying to find a mobile tech, but thought maybe someone here can give me some insight. The fridge is under warranty, but if I can’t find a mobile tech is it time to buy an ice chest and ice? Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 708D3378-F393-4A05-9F4F-AFF3FC2AECAF.jpg  
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry to hear and see that. The refrigeration system has leaked the ammonia out and the system is pretty much Dead. Yes, it's time for an ice chest and ice to put your perishables in. Likely, it is beyond repair without a complete new cooling system or fridge.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    Good morning. The fridge started getting warmer over the last day. I opened the back panel and there is some yellow material on the lowest pipe I can see and on the bottom. It also appears that a small tube has a burn hole in it. I’m trying to find a mobile tech, but thought maybe someone here can give me some insight. The fridge is under warranty, but if I can’t find a mobile tech is it time to buy an ice chest and ice? Thanks.
    If you want to save what you have, yes get an ice chest. The tube on the bottom of the collector drum appears to be where they fill or charge the system. The pinch points in the tube are how they seal it after.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Dakota, you don't have the year of your 303 in your signature. If the RV and/or refrigerator are still in warranty, get a call into Grand Design ASAP. If not, the cooling units run about $1,200 + labor and the refrigerators are $3,000+. If you have to pay for things yourself, I would recommend one of the "Amish" compressor cooling unit conversions or one of the new 12VDC compressor refrigerators. Neither of these options will run on propane, but with good batteries and a little solar, they're a great option. Sorry for your misfortune and good luck!

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's dead. The yellow is the tell tale sign.

Time to replace it.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all your replies. I suspected it was not good news. Our first four trips were within a few hundred miles of home. Figures this would happen 1200 miles from. Oh well. No need to fret over it. Ice and coolers are on the shopping list. It’s been an interesting trip. I also destroyed the head of my hitch. It’s a slider and not enough lube. Fortunately found a dealer. $623. Scraped the edge of the roof and tomorrow is eternabond repair day. But, I’m not complaining or whining. We’ve been camping over 30 years. These are our first real major problems. You deal with them and consider it all an adventure. Thanks guys! I love this forum and the comradery!

Oh... someone asked the year. 2021. Bought in February of this year. Picked up in April.
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    Thanks for all your replies. I suspected it was not good news. Our first four trips were within a few hundred miles of home. Figures this would happen 1200 miles from. Oh well. No need to fret over it. Ice and coolers are on the shopping list. It’s been an interesting trip. I also destroyed the head of my hitch. It’s a slider and not enough lube. Fortunately found a dealer. $623. Scraped the edge of the roof and tomorrow is eternabond repair day. But, I’m not complaining or whining. We’ve been camping over 30 years. These are our first real major problems. You deal with them and consider it all an adventure. Thanks guys! I love this forum and the comradery!

Oh... someone asked the year. 2021. Bought in February of this year. Picked up in April.
    You've got a great attitude and that will serve you well. You are definitely under warranty and hopefully, Grand Design and or the manufacturer of the fridge will make it good.........and mostly painless in getting it replaced.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    It's dead. The yellow is the tell tale sign.

Time to replace it.
    What is the "yellow" substance? Residue from the ammonia?
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    Yes - something in with the ammonia-based refrigerant.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    Yep. Visual aid to detect leaks.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast