User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Front Jack Leaning-Wave or Bubble above front storage bin

I posted this in the reflection 5th wheel but thought I would also try here. I have a brand new 2019 303 rls. Loving it. Very impressed with the quality. But in this attached picture you will not two things, one is the driver side front jack leaning in . 2nd issue is above the bin and to the left you will see what looks like a crease, its actually bubbles or waves in the metal going across the top of the bin. Are both of theses normal? I am doubting it. Also when I posted the pic someone said I shouldn’t have more than 6 holes visible on the front jacks. Haven’t seen or read this anywhere, can’t find it. Wondering if this is true. This is my first fifth wheel, don’t want to screw anything up!!

Thanks.
    Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EF1B79EE-C543-44FA-8F7C-46A253823EF9.jpg  
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2017 Ram 3500 Laramie 4WD Diesel
    Blue Ox Super Ride

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We dealt with this last year after taking delivery July 2017. Noticed the same bulge in October of that year before storing indoors for the winter. Talked with our dealer who got authorization from GD and brought it back to dealer in April 2018 to have it fixed. Bring it in to dealer asap. It will get fixed. GD will authorize this for sure.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16295[/ATTACH

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5882.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	16296
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5884.jpg  
    2018 Reflection 367 BH
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD Laramie LB 4x4
    2014 Adventurer 910 DB Truck camper

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bulges are fairly common on the bulkhead, as it is just a hung piece of fiberglass, versus the laminated side walls.

The look will actually change depending on the temperature, as it contracts in cold and expands in heat.

Doesn't always look right, but its not affecting anything.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe they had to cut filon wall and shorten it. Dealer tech told me this has been common in a few GD campers. It has nothing to with the front jacks. You do want to make sure the holes are numbered the same on front jacks. I used 11th hole position on my front jacks.
    2018 Reflection 367 BH
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD Laramie LB 4x4
    2014 Adventurer 910 DB Truck camper

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    46 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smcken2973 View Post
    I posted this in the reflection 5th wheel but thought I would also try here. I have a brand new 2019 303 rls. Loving it. Very impressed with the quality. But in this attached picture you will not two things, one is the driver side front jack leaning in . 2nd issue is above the bin and to the left you will see what looks like a crease, its actually bubbles or waves in the metal going across the top of the bin. Are both of theses normal? I am doubting it. Also when I posted the pic someone said I shouldn’t have more than 6 holes visible on the front jacks. Haven’t seen or read this anywhere, can’t find it. Wondering if this is true. This is my first fifth wheel, don’t want to screw anything up!!

Thanks.
    Scott
    Hey Scott!

Thanks for posting, and thanks for the tag @TucsonJim

OK.... as far as the bulge, I see some people have mentioned it can be common at times. While this is something you can see depending on the filon, I would still recommend sending this picture to our team at [email protected] just so they can give you the best information about this possible. They can also note it in your VIN file so we have it on record.

As far as the leg being bent, my first question to you would be.... do you perform a bump test when you hitch up? When I was at LCI I saw this frequently when people would back in to the pin too hard, or would do a bump test (which is not BAD by any means) and possibly cause a little bit more shifting than normal on those legs (which when you have a lot of inner leg exposed, can happen!). I would recommend feeling the I beam near the bracket where the leg mounts to the chassis. If you have an indentation or a bend on that I beam, it may be what is causing that leg to look like that. Was it like that when you picked it up new, or has it happened over time of ownership?

As far as the holes in the legs.... those drop pin legs are the VERY inner leg. Which means that the more holes and more inner leg you have exposed the less stability you will have. LCI would recommend 4-6 holes then utilize your leg that comes out of outer leg when running the leveling system to make up the rest. When unhitching from the truck, it is common to drop those pins down to just about 3"-4" before they hit the ground. Then press extend on your switch or your auto level panel to run them down to the ground and get it off your truck. If you start doing this, you are going to notice a HUGE difference in the stability of the camper. Remember... the more inner leg that is exposed, the less stability you have I am sure there are times and conditions that this cannot apply... but just keep that reminder in your head.

Thanks and Happy Camping!

~Emily

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Smcken2973 a lot of folks carry blocks to put under the jack legs to minimize the amount that the inner leg has to be extended.

The blocks can range from cut-up lumber (I carry 2" X 12" X 12" blocks) to various more-costly commercial products. I usually have four blocks under each of the front jacks, which reduces jack leg extension by six inches and does improve stability.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EStahley View Post
    Hey Scott!

Thanks for posting, and thanks for the tag @TucsonJim

OK.... as far as the bulge, I see some people have mentioned it can be common at times. While this is something you can see depending on the filon, I would still recommend sending this picture to our team at [email protected] just so they can give you the best information about this possible. They can also note it in your VIN file so we have it on record.

As far as the leg being bent, my first question to you would be.... do you perform a bump test when you hitch up? When I was at LCI I saw this frequently when people would back in to the pin too hard, or would do a bump test (which is not BAD by any means) and possibly cause a little bit more shifting than normal on those legs (which when you have a lot of inner leg exposed, can happen!). I would recommend feeling the I beam near the bracket where the leg mounts to the chassis. If you have an indentation or a bend on that I beam, it may be what is causing that leg to look like that. Was it like that when you picked it up new, or has it happened over time of ownership?

As far as the holes in the legs.... those drop pin legs are the VERY inner leg. Which means that the more holes and more inner leg you have exposed the less stability you will have. LCI would recommend 4-6 holes then utilize your leg that comes out of outer leg when running the leveling system to make up the rest. When unhitching from the truck, it is common to drop those pins down to just about 3"-4" before they hit the ground. Then press extend on your switch or your auto level panel to run them down to the ground and get it off your truck. If you start doing this, you are going to notice a HUGE difference in the stability of the camper. Remember... the more inner leg that is exposed, the less stability you have I am sure there are times and conditions that this cannot apply... but just keep that reminder in your head.

Thanks and Happy Camping!

~Emily
    Thanks much Emily and everyone else. I did contact GD and they told me the front jacks should actually be pitched out a few degrees and certainly not in. I have only had the trailer for 2 weeks, brand new 2019, it was like that when I got it, just didn’t think anything about it, obviously my bad. They assured me there would be no issue in having authorization to fix it. Now I just wait for an appt with the dealer. Will also have them look at the bulge. Probably a good idea to just routinely use front blocks as suggested by boyscout.

Thanks everyone.
    Scott
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2017 Ram 3500 Laramie 4WD Diesel
    Blue Ox Super Ride