User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: F150 to F250

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My F250 diesel is old, but it has a higher payload capacity than the newer models. I have the 323BHS Reflection fifth wheel which is considered a "mid size" unit. And I'm max'd out on specifications.

Had I chosen to go most Solitudes, I would be overweight substantially.

But there again, our trailer stays in a member owned campground, and they move it on and off a site for me. I've never taken it out on the open road.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We made the same move this weekend, traded the 2019 Sierra for the 2019 F250. We have the 2500RL and I never felt comfortable pulling that it at highway speeds. Sure the Sierra was rated to pull the weight of the trailer but it was a white knuckle experience, makes me really second guess both the Travel Trailer manufactures and the Automaker when it comes to towing. Congrats on the new rig!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You got the F250, Did you wind up getting the 6.7 Diesel or a 6.2 Gas? If you bumped up to the 350 the new 7.3 gas engine should have been available to you.
    2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty XLT CCSB 4x4 6.2 gasser 3.73 E locker
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 285BHS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FordmanNJ View Post
    You got the F250, Did you wind up getting the 6.7 Diesel or a 6.2 Gas? If you bumped up to the 350 the new 7.3 gas engine should have been available to you.
    I got a f250 with the 6.7 diesel.
    Looking forward to seeing how well it handles the 2970, when we get to go camping again.
    2019 2970RL
    2020 F250

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pap and Mimi View Post
    I got a f250 with the 6.7 diesel.
    Looking forward to seeing how well it handles the 2970, when we get to go camping again.
    Your 2970 is about 1,000lbs heavier than my 2400BH but it should tow like a dream!

I just put Fox 2.0 shocks on my F250 last night. Took it around town but haven't towed with it yet. It's riding pretty darn smooth.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fox.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	26246
    ~Peter

Ford F-250 6.7 CCSB (tow vehicle), Imagine 2400BH, Cadillac Escalade 6.2 (family vehicle), BMW X5 (daily driver), Porsche 911/996 (weekend toy)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pap and Mimi View Post
    In the process of trading the F150 for a F250 and giving up spark plugs for glow plugs. The 2970 is right at the top (maybe even a little over) the limits of the 150. Trips to the local campgrounds aren’t a problem, but a trip “up in the mountains” of east Ky really showed the need for a more capable truck.
    Local dealer found what I’m looking for a couple states away and is working on a dealer trade to get it here. Going from a ruby red xlt to a rapid red lariat.
    You will not regret it I did the same thing with the same trailer and found it to like night and day I do no regret getting the 250 . The difference in the handling of the trailer is so much comfortable mentally no white knuckling on the highway. We don`t plan on getting a 5er I love having the whole bed of the truck to use for whatever. Good luck and happy traveling you won`t regret your decision

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have taken the plunge from a 2018 F150 Lariat w/3.5 EB to a 2019 F250 Platinum 6.7 Diesel. Like the OP stated, the F150 was just fine pulling our 2020 GD Reflection 297RSTS...plenty of Power in the 3.5 with the twin turbo. On our 5K mile South-West vacation this winter, I had multiple people stop and wonder how the F150 pulled this 29 foot TT. I never, ever felt like the truck (engine) was being pushed or strained. It always felt like there was plenty of horses under the hood...and in fact there were times the truck just wanted to go faster and do more. We even drove through multiple 6 and 7% grade mountains with ease...typically at 60-65mph. The issue I had was when driving in 20-30mph head winds and cross winds. The little F150 felt like it was just being pushed around way too much (i.e. tail wagging the dog....10K lb trailer and a 4-5K truck). I splurged and invested in the ProPride 3P Anti-sway hitch, so I never felt any say or loss of control. So no white knuckles. I am hoping the new F250 will prove to be a good purchase decision. I debated between the F250 and F350, as many have also mentioned, but after comparing the luxury travel trailers like the Reflection and their 5er counterparts, I felt the TT was a better fit. I think we might get tired of climbing up and down the stairs in the 5er over time anyway. My wife and I are retired and in our 60's...so a single level is best. LOL.

I'm curious about your F250 payload numbers. What I've read in the Ford specs is the 2019 F250 with the 6.7L 4x4 has a payload of 3,480...can't confirm this yet since I haven't received the new F250. Even if I take your payload numbers and factor in 1000 lbs for passengers (more than necessary..even with 5 adults), 650 lbs of cargo in the bed and the tongue weight of 1065 lbs, there's still room for more cargo, when pulling a TT. I typically only have a max of 300 lbs in the bed at any given time anyway.

So I can't wait to pick up my new F250....trading a blue for blue...so no fancy colors like your Ruby Red. Although my F150 was Lightning Blue, which was really sharp and an eye catcher.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW.... I just made that mistake and am seriously regretting it

Had the Ford F-150, wanted a F-350 Dually... talked my self out if and got a F-250. Man I regret it and it was only a month ago. As a matter of fact, I regretted it before I made it home with the Imagine.

I had a F-350 Dually (a few years ago) in the past and loved the way it drove (I felt it was smoother than my F-250). You get used the the wide back end real fast and it only feels long in parking lots...

The F-350 never had a problem when Semi's passed me but this F-250 does. Did I mention I hate it? oh.... and I've got a sweet 2012 F-250 for sale !!

Roger

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We happen to agree with many others, for your safety, please look into changing to a F350 or if you ever decide to upgrade again to a Toyhauler, think about F350 Dually. Three dealer DIDN'T tell us until we talked to a California Dealer, who received our business. Our F350 was NOT safe enough for us for our 381M Toyhauler. The only way he would sell it to us, we were REQUIRED to a WAIVER! Explained, Safety! Not just California but if we were to be stopped by highway patrol, we could be cited. We rather be SAFE for us and others on the road. Please reconsider.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FordmanNJ View Post
    I went with the 250 Diesel. Two reasons, this will be my daily driver and I wanted to use be able use the semi lanes at truck stops. It has been my experience that cars just don’t respect the fact you are trying to maneuver 45feet plus and it’s always right getting in and out of the pumps on long drives.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast