User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by audreypmcg View Post
    So you're saying there's a chance.....lol

I think we will give it a shot just to get our camping experience started and if we love camping and find the towing to be difficult/uncomfortable, we upgrade the truck when we can. We are in Florida (bonus for it being flat) and have young kids so don't plan to be doing long trips - we are blessed to be in the middle of the state with loads of great campsites 1-2 hours in all directions. We will just have to be intentional to take the scenic route and avoid interstates until we have more experience under our belt. I can't thank you all enough for your insight, experience and opinions. We have already been told what a great group of folks we will meet camping and this has been no different

I will post pictures when we get it in hand next week! <3
    It's not about whether or not it can pull it, it's also about control when it comes to maneuvering and most importantly stopping. There is stress not only on the trailer brakes but the truck's brakes as well. Remember there is at least 7,800 pounds(approximately the empty weight.) if not more behind the truck. The trailer is only going to take only so much of the braking load. The truck handles itself plus the some of the trailer weight. I did a pull with my previous trailer with an older 150 from NJ to Florida about 8 years ago. That was a deciding factor for a 3/4 or 1 ton replacement the following year. Same trip with the same trailer but different TV, much different experience.

For instance, in work we have a single axle 3,000 pound trailer for most of our equipment deliveries. This trailer has been a pain when it comes to brakes. One time coming back from a customer, the brakes went out due to a wiring issue. So the trailer is about 900 pounds plus another 1,000 or so pounds in it. I would estimate that trailer at the heaviest is around 2,200 with max cargo for us. Well, it was a good thing I was towing with the boss's Explorer. I could feel the 2,000 pounds in the back "pushing" me along during stops. This turned into thinking much further ahead. Move space for braking. Slower speeds. It made for a longer day. However, we are going to be getting a new vehicle in work to eliminate the need for the trailer on most deliveries. this is a long time coming. Unfortunately, we are not going to be seeing this new vehicle until September. it was ordered in February but then Covid hit.

Good luck with your purchase. My family and I love our Reflection 285BHTS.
    2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty XLT CCSB 4x4 6.2 gasser 3.73 E locker
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 285BHS

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you're saying there's a chance.....lol

I think we will give it a shot just to get our camping experience started and if we love camping and find the towing to be difficult/uncomfortable, we upgrade the truck when we can. We are in Florida (bonus for it being flat) and have young kids so don't plan to be doing long trips - we are blessed to be in the middle of the state with loads of great campsites 1-2 hours in all directions. We will just have to be intentional to take the scenic route and avoid interstates until we have more experience under our belt. I can't thank you all enough for your insight, experience and opinions. We have already been told what a great group of folks we will meet camping and this has been no different

I will post pictures when we get it in hand next week! <3
    Audrey,

You’re in the same position we were 3 years ago. First trailer 2800BH W/F-150 in FLORIDA. After a few trips in Florida we were hooked. Every trip we’ve taken has been to State Parks. Our home is in Bradenton, about 45 minutes south of Tampa. Our favorite State Park is Silver Springs in Ocala. https://www.reserveamerica.com/explo...81203/overview

Register at reserveamerica.com and you can search state parks by location.

Here are some other recommendations within easy driving distance to central Florida

https://www.reserveamerica.com/explo...81080/overview

https://www.reserveamerica.com/explo...30149/overview

Jerry
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to dig my scale ticket up. It was 2 years ago when I took it for weighing. It is probably a few hundred pounds lighter on the trailer side since we had not loaded out the trailer completely. We have added more items since purchase. Some items were removed but a different or improved item took its place.

The drive axle was a bit heavier due to items in the bed coming back home after the trailer was dropped off at storage. That weight would have been in the trailer if it was a trip as well. Since then, I have the bikes on the back hitch of the trailer plus about 20 gallons of water in the fresh hold for bathroom breaks and counter balance for the bikes.

My F350

Front Axle 6,000#
    Rear Axle 7,000#
    Truck 11,300#
    Combine with current Axle ratio (3.73) 19,200#

Weigh slip after first camping trips with new trailer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CATscale.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	27059
    2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty XLT CCSB 4x4 6.2 gasser 3.73 E locker
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 285BHS

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The loading weights are all there, good job posting the info!
    You do not have a truck with a MAX TOW package optioned, although it has a higher payload for an F150. The give away is the 3.31 rear, if you did the rear ratio would be 3.55. That is a big, long, heavy girl for that truck. Someone added his trailer weighed in with a hitch weight of 1500# that would leave you 400# for passengers and equipment, cutting it close. If you have your heart set on that trailer I would head Hunter70's advice and get a beefier truck or look to a smaller lighter trailer. You'll just end up with the tail wagging the dog so to speak.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Complete newbie here and just put a deposit down on a Grand Design Reflection 285BHTS. We have a Ford 150 with a V8. 5.0L We thought we would be fine as max towing capacity states 11,600. The more research we have done, we are realizing there is so much more involved than just the towing capacity. Can you all please weigh-in (pun intended ) The deal does come with the Blue Ox sway bar system. Thanks so much for your input!

The Reflection is a heavy trailer:
    - UVW 7,628
    - GVWR 9,495
    - Hitch Weight: 793

Ford 150 V8 5.0L stats:
    - Max Payload: 3270
    - Curb weight: 4769
    - GVWR: 7000
    - GCWR: 14300
    - Towing Capacity: 11,600
    - Gross Axle Weight: front: 3525 rear: 3800 Axle ratio 3.31
    If it's not too late, I believe you really should consider a smaller trailer, that Reflection is too much for your truck. We love our Imagine 2400BH. You lose the sofa and a little bit of storage space, but it's 2000lbs lighter and 6' shorter, which makes it much easier to tow.

Tony
    2017 F150 Lariat 3.5 EB
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

retired: 2016 Starcraft 19BHS & 2004 Fleetwood Mesa

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Complete newbie here and just put a deposit down on a Grand Design Reflection 285BHTS. We have a Ford 150 with a V8. 5.0L We thought we would be fine as max towing capacity states 11,600. The more research we have done, we are realizing there is so much more involved than just the towing capacity. Can you all please weigh-in (pun intended ) The deal does come with the Blue Ox sway bar system. Thanks so much for your input!

The Reflection is a heavy trailer:
    - UVW 7,628
    - GVWR 9,495
    - Hitch Weight: 793

Ford 150 V8 5.0L stats:
    - Max Payload: 3270
    - Curb weight: 4769
    - GVWR: 7000
    - GCWR: 14300
    - Towing Capacity: 11,600
    - Gross Axle Weight: front: 3525 rear: 3800 Axle ratio 3.31Attachment 27019Attachment 27020Attachment 27024
    where do you get a payload of 3270 the max payload is 1899 according to the yellow sticker.
    I don't think a even 350 has a 3270 payload.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malco1 View Post
    where do you get a payload of 3270 the max payload is 1899 according to the yellow sticker.
    I don't think a even 350 has a 3270 payload.
    My 3500 SRW has 3840 payload so a 350 could easily have that much payload but I do agree his 150 is not even close to that number.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow - what a great community of resources. You guys are amazing. I have been in the Ford guide constantly but all of this new language is like Chinese to us, and as mentioned, the slightest deviation changes the numbers completely so I just want to make sure we know for certain what we are dealing with. I called Ford, I knew more than the employee did, lol, which isn't saying much. I have called a few GD dealers to get their opinions, they all differ. Definitely a learning curve but we are soaking it all up. I snapped these pictures of our door stickers. Attachment 27017Attachment 27018
    The label you put up from the truck is not the right tag. The information you want and we need is the YELLOW tag either in the door frame or on the door.

I have a 2019 Lariat 2WD with 5.0L and 3.55 rear end, using a Blue Ox sway pro with 1000lb bars. We bought an Imagine 2600 with GVW of 7500lb. I have no issues with towing a longer or heavier unit, but this trailer fits within my trucks limits. You have the wrong truck or wrong trailer. You probably can tow with the truck but it won't be fun, expect issues with the truck (engine and transmission/driveshaft/rear end) and hope you never have weighed at a state weight station (big fines and no move).

Probably not what you want to here. Remember, you will find some salesmen who will tell you your truck will tow a 747, but is that safe for your family?
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own a 285BHTS and have a 2016 Ram 2500 CTD CC 4x4. One weekend last fall I had the trailer loaded up with water and gear, had the family in the truck and a generator and gas for boondock tailgating and I was 350lbs over on my 10K GVWR and had a GCW of 18.6K. I have two weigh tickets I will upload, one right after I bought the trailer, GVW 9.6K, 17.3K GCW and I detailed the other above. It is a big trailer, I think you will want more truck. I have a Equalizer 14K hitch, truck tows well, and I love the trailer and floor plan, but it is plenty and I don't want more on the “bumper”.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WeighTickets.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	27192

Here you go...the scales don't lie (but they can make your fanny pucker).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast