User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fridge hold open device

I'm pretty sure I've read at least one post on this over the last few years but couldn't find it...
    We were provided with a hold-open device for our fridge that basically doesn't work. I'm trying to come up with a mod that will allow us to leave the fridge/freezer doors ajar, but not let them interfere with the slide. We'd like to be able to pick up from storage without having to open the slide just to close the fridge doors. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
    Jeff
    Jeff & Sherry
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2019 F150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4,
    HDPP, Max Tow, 6.5, ProPride

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey McDugals

Here is what our Class C has, simple yet effective

It's a T shaped piece that swings out of the way to use the fridge, swings over the doors to keep them in place for travel. and if you open the door about 4-6 inches, swing it in the way and now the doors are propped open

Trick now is to find something that will work

Good luck
    Rick
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220616_001812244.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	41236Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220616_001823533.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	41237Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220616_001827657.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	41238Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220616_001816487.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	41239

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Toy4Rick. Thanks Rick...is this something you fabricated?
    Jeff & Sherry
    2020 Imagine 2670MK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello again,

Actually no, it came on the fridge/RV...

Just found one on e-trailer
    https://www.etrailer.com/question-490828.html

Hope it works for you

Rick

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Won't that device hold the doors either open OR closed? Think the OP needs something that will hold the doors slightly ajar but not let them swing while moving the trailer, correct?

My Furrion 12v fridge came with a latch spacer that holds the doors in place, but I don't know if I'd trust it to hold the doors while in transit, even though it does click them into position and hold them there while stationary.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, always close the fridge doors when traveling. Once RV is stored, open the fridge doors and use the cheapo plastic Dometic latch props to vent.

Reason why I recommend not traveling with the doors propped:
    RV slides can sometimes move slightly in and out during travel. This can cause an open door to wedge itself between the fridge and hutch or any near by cabinetry causing broken or damaged cabinets. We also bungy double side-by-side cabinet doors so that they don't open either. Had one open once and drop dishes on the floor. Would also recommend childproof plastic latches for single door cabinets as well. Keeps the contents in and the mess off the floor!

We had a fridge door once come open while traveling and it wedge itself between the fridge and hutch. That was fun trying to fix! Now we only air out the fridge doors when stored with the cheapo plastic latch props and always remove them and close the doors when trailering.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mine that came with Dometic fridge were worthless. In my case, for storage we drop the trailer off, and the lot guy parks it. That little bit of moving was enough to knock out the hold-open, and the next time I put the slides out - CRUNCH!

I now have a short (6") section of pool noodle, that I sliced on one side lengthwise. One for each door. They fit on the door edge. I then use a short, skinny, small bungee cord looped around the handle and the opposite end hooked to a shelf edge in the fridge. Cord holds the door well, and the pool noodle prevents it from closing all the way so the fridge can air out/dry when in storage. And no worries about the door being open too far to catch on the slide. Of course, doesn't have to be a pool noodle - old towel, or anything else would work as well to keep the mini-bungee from fully closing the door.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still surprisingly using the slotted card type that came with our Dometic. They haven't broken yet. A little ackward to use but they've help up on some bumpy roads so far. Now the tt is stored home, so they don't see anymore travel.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    IMO, always close the fridge doors when traveling. Once RV is stored, open the fridge doors and use the cheapo plastic Dometic latch props to vent.
    Just trying to avoid opening the slide to close the doors for transport from storage to my Mom’s house where we prep for our trips.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toy4Rick View Post
    Hello again,

Actually no, it came on the fridge/RV…Just found one on e-trailer
    https://www.etrailer.com/question-490828.htmlRick
    Thanks, I’ll check it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Wonder how strong that magnet is.
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    Mine that came with Dometic fridge were worthless. In my case, for storage we drop the trailer off, and the lot guy parks it. That little bit of moving was enough to knock out the hold-open, and the next time I put the slides out - CRUNCH!

I now have a short (6") section of pool noodle, that I sliced on one side lengthwise. One for each door. They fit on the door edge. I then use a short, skinny, small bungee cord looped around the handle and the opposite end hooked to a shelf edge in the fridge. Cord holds the door well, and the pool noodle prevents it from closing all the way so the fridge can air out/dry when in storage. And no worries about the door being open too far to catch on the slide. Of course, doesn't have to be a pool noodle - old towel, or anything else would work as well to keep the mini-bungee from fully closing the door.
    This is exactly what I’m trying to avoid. Happened once already but luckily the CRUNCH didn’t do damage. I’ll try this.
    Thank you all!
    Jeff & Sherry
    2020 Imagine 2670MK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast