User Tag List

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zion National Park

Tami and I took our road trip to Zion from near Bryce, about 1.5 hour drive. highway 89 to highway 9. We took the East entrance through the tunnels. Beautiful place, @xrated, I see what you mean, kind of a toss up between Bryce and Zion as far as which one likes best. But they are very different places among the mountain ranges. We have never been to the Grand Canyon but I suspect Zion is more like the GC.

Additional Info - If you take highway 9 into Zion from the East, there are two tunnels you have to go through. Even highway 9 from the East has length restrictions because of the switchback turns. Both tunnels have restrictions, but the longest one (@ 2 miles long) has more limited width, height restrictions. The width restriction is a little over 7 feet wide, and the height restriction is 13 feet, our dually with mirrors folded in is right at 8 feet. It cost $15 to go through the restricted tunnel with a dually, that's two trips (round trip) through the tunnel. They stop 2 way traffic and tell you to drive down the middle of the tunnel. On the other hand, the way they have it set up, they stop all traffic even cars and only allow traffic to flow one way through the restricted tunnel.

If you get there early enough you can park at the visitors center for free and then ride the shuttle bus through the park getting off at the stops then re-boarding to go to the next stop. You can not drive through the park. The bus is big enough and there is enough room to carry your back packs and walking sticks with you.

Yesterday, It was 104 degrees on the Zion Canyon floor, and @ 100 when we entered the tunnels leaving on highway 9. We heard this morning on the local news that yesterday a wildfire has broken out in Zion and they have closed off the northern part of highway 9 inside the park. The temp is forecast to be 110 today in Zion, hope they get it under control, it was very dry there yesterday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3437.jpg   IMG_3451.jpg   IMG_3461.jpg   IMG_3454.jpg   IMG_3449.jpg  

Last edited by Steven@147; 07-21-2022 at 03:39 PM. Reason: tunnel fee
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We drove the Dually through the tunnel and came in from the west (camped at Zion River RV campground. I had to buy a permit to drive the Dually through...it was about 2" wider than their width limit. Checkerboard Mesa.....so cool for sure....and yes, they are both absolutely beautiful. Grand Canyon is it's own special beautiful. The enormity of the GC is just unbelievable. When you are at some of the observation points along the Rim trail and look down and see the Colorado river running through there....you have to look close to even see it in some places...because the canyon is SO HUGE. Thanks for posting updates and some pics....I enjoy them.

Here is one of my favorites from Zion. We took this while riding our bicycles along the Pa' Rus trail.

Last edited by xrated; 07-21-2022 at 08:29 AM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"