User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In our RV, the water is terrible... this week while in Eureka CA, my wife was complaining so I did a water test with her

Glass of water from the sink and a glass from the site - she got past the smell with a turned up nose but the taste was very poor from the RV, even I hated it.
    Then gave her a glass from the RV hose (after the pressure reg and Camco filter) and another glass from the site - she couldn't really tell the difference

This tells me it's the RV

I sanitized the fresh tank with a bleach solution about 45 days before we left, ran hot and cold from every faucet (inside/out) til bleach could be smelled, waited about 30 mins then drained and flushed everything a couple times

Now, could the 45 days before we left caused issues, sure could
    Or, did my sanitize process not get to every nook and cranny, sure

I'm not sure what to do at this point cuz I hate the transportation of bottle water...
    2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    2022 Imagine 2500RL

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toy4Rick View Post
    I'm not sure what to do at this point cuz I hate the transportation of bottle water...
    Did you read my posts above? I installed a filter underneath the kitchen counter with this filter cartridge:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (has to be this exact cartridge number)

... and a dispensing faucet in the countertop:

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/c...spenser-faucet

The water from this system tastes pure no matter the source.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bottled water. Been doing that since we owned it, tastes great, smells good, and dont have to charcoal flavor it. CG water is softened with our ABC and used for all else but drinking. Do it at our lake house too with well water next to a lake on the stick built.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is one advantage of the Jayco Eagle line of 5th wheelers. They have a 5 gallon jug (water cooler style) under the sink that connects to a separate foucet on the sink and also the refrigerator. Pretty cool.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Rob,

Yes I did see your post. Just need to decide when to move forward.

On the trip here to Florence OR, I sanitized the system, dumped and flushed, still didn't taste very good

My wife wanted to try a Brita filter first to see if we can get something drinkable before we spend a lot more on a filter, faucet and time to install.

So far, the Brita is working fine, great tasting water

Thanks all

Rick
    2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    2022 Imagine 2500RL

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another bottled water for drinking here in camper. Bottled water for ice maker, coffee pot etc.

At house we have a water cooler with 5 gallon jugs from Home Depot for drinking. For ice maker, cooking and drinking water for dogs we still use filtered city water from filtered fridge supply.

At vacation cabin with well water we also have a water cooler with 5 gallon jugs for drinking. For coffee, cooking, dogs etc we have a Reverse Osmosis under sink supply.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Campgrounds all across the country will have all kinds of water quality, some very terrible especially drawing from a well.
    Plastic taste in water usually comes from a regular garden hose and not a potable drinking water hose. Or a drinking water hose that's old and deteriorating. Once you get that type of water in your RV it's hard to get it flushed out of the system. Water hoses don't last forever and maybe some like you get at WalMart or maybe even camping world probably are not the best quality. About all you can do is buy a new drinking water hose and prefilter the water to see if that gets the smell and taste out of the water, may take awhile to get all of it out of the RV water lines.

Same when a person uses antifreeze in an RV, once in there sometimes its really hard to get it all flushed out. Now on RV's that have an option for clothes washer but not used, water dead ends in those water lines and gets really rank after awhile, and can affect the rest of the water system. We have to flush those water lines once in awhile. When I sanitize our water system and fresh tank periodically, I leave the bleach solution in the tank and water lines for at least a day to let it work.

We have used bottled water for a long time. We wanted to cut down on a lot of plastic bottle/jug waist and the cost of bottled water so we bought a "Pur" water filtered pitcher, it's working very nicely. We also installed a 16K "On-The-Go" water softener in our RV with a prefilter on the input line. We haven't purchased bottled water in a long time.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 10-05-2022 at 06:00 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toy4Rick View Post
    In our RV, the water is terrible... this week while in Eureka CA, my wife was complaining so I did a water test with her

Glass of water from the sink and a glass from the site - she got past the smell with a turned up nose but the taste was very poor from the RV, even I hated it.
    Then gave her a glass from the RV hose (after the pressure reg and Camco filter) and another glass from the site - she couldn't really tell the difference

This tells me it's the RV

I sanitized the fresh tank with a bleach solution about 45 days before we left, ran hot and cold from every faucet (inside/out) til bleach could be smelled, waited about 30 mins then drained and flushed everything a couple times

Now, could the 45 days before we left caused issues, sure could
    Or, did my sanitize process not get to every nook and cranny, sure

As to this concern -
    45 days, especially if warm/hot weather is easily enough time to grow things in parts of a water system that doesn't see much use (on board tank, water pump, low point drains, etc.). If it gets used regularly, no issues there.
    More bleach doesn't mean faster sanitization, so use what is recommended in the manual. 30 min is not near enough time - 4 or more hours is needed.
    I've has "drinking water safe" hoses grow impressive amounts of mold inside. Always the collapsible kind. The traditional rigid white hoses seem to be impervious to growing it. So far, have had good luck with the fancy blue Camco no-kink kind also.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12