User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Main stove burner doesn't cook food well anymore (Furrion)

I tried searching to the forum to no avail.

My stove burner was working fine until about a week ago. I didn't get water into it, or food particles into the flame area.

Here's how the progression seemed to have happened:
    1. A month ago I noticed the burner wasn't fully igniting.
    2. About a week ago after I "fixed" the burner by turning the burner on then taking a cupped hand and acting like I was going to smash the burner. I guess there was some air trapped or water trapped in the little holes? IDK. It fixed the flame issue.
    3. A week ago I started noticing my one pot meal (which I eat daily) wasn't cooking as hot as it should. It's barely a simmer.

So, I poked a little pipe cleaner into the holes today and no crud stuck to the pipe cleaner. I tried to pry off the top cap which I've seen in some youtube videos (which don't explain my burner problem) but can't figure out how to remove the "Furrion" emblazoned cap.

I don't smell propane leakage inside, outside around the RV or around my 120 gallon rented propane tank. My propane alarm hasn't gone off.

My dad suggested to tap the gauge on my big propane tank to see if it'll move. It seems like it hasn't moved in months, though all I've been using it for is cooking for about 20 minutes daily. My water heater has been on electric. I've not yet used my furnace this fall. My refrigerator has been on electric, too. I've actually never tried it on propane.

I just went out and tapped hard on the gauge and it didn't budge. I tapped and knocked on the tank and it sounds empty, though I'm not all that familiar with how it SHOULD sound with the gauge showing 40%. Maybe it IS basically empty?

This RV was just purchased used (new to me) in March of this year. I've been living in it full-time since then. I don't travel. I've been stationary the whole time and all but about a week has been while hooked up to this 120 gallon propane tank.

Does the stove tend to be less hot-burning when the propane supply is very low? I've never noticed it happen when I was on regular 20 LB bottles but I think I only had to deal with that with my previous RV for maybe half a year and most of that time I was only running the water heater and daily stovetop use.

Should I first call out the propane company to check the gauge and test pressure or should I call a mobile RV tech to troubleshoot the stove itself?

Here is what I've done to test the propane stove:
    1. While main burner was lit I turned on the other burners. All seemed "normal". None went noticeably less hot when others were turned on.
    2. While main burner was lit I turned off the electric water heater switch and flipped on gas switch. Soon it kicked on. The burner flame didn't appear to lessen.

The color of the flame looks good. It's pure blue with rare red/yellow flames appearing occasionally. I have fans on, so I presume that is what was causing it. The yellow/red flame is just a little blip when it happens. It doesn't stay that way for more than like a half second.

Thanks for reading this and giving your opinions on what I should do to resolve this.
    2018 Imagine 2250RK: Floorplan Pic
    Theater dinette instead of standard dinette.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshinenv View Post
    My stove burner was working fine until about a week ago.

I've been stationary the whole time and all but about a week has been while hooked up to this 120 gallon propane tank.
    Since you said the the problem started about a week ago, and that until about a week ago you were hooked up to a 120 gallon propane tank, I would try a different propane tank or take the one you have to be filled and see if that fixes the issue. Be sure to open the propane tank slowly after hooking it up.
    Hope this helps.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2021 Ram 2500 Hemi, Crew Cab Short Bed
    2-206 AH SOK Batteries, Victron MultiPlus 3000VA Inverter, 800 watts solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I understand correctly, all your other propane things are working fine, just one burner on the stove is not. That would indicate something to do with that burner, the first place I would look would be the orifice inside the top of the stove on the backside of the burner control. There is a very, very small hole in it which is where the propane comes out to the burner, it may be plugged or just dirty and that would cause your problem. Also have a good look into the tube that runs from the control knob to the burner, there could be something that got in there and is messing with the flow of propane to the burner.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alias100 View Post
    Since you said the the problem started about a week ago, and that until about a week ago you were hooked up to a 120 gallon propane tank, I would try a different propane tank or take the one you have to be filled and see if that fixes the issue. Be sure to open the propane tank slowly after hooking it up.
    Hope this helps.
    I should have been more clear in my wording. The first week of having the RV I was using the 20 lb bottles. Then my propane company came to hook up my big rented tank. All this time I've been using this big tank.

There does appear to be a minor problem with the gauge. I troubleshooted with the propane company just a half hour ago and she had me tap hard on the gauge. That didn't do anything. Then she had me slam the metal cover to see if that would budge the gauge, it did, but I lay about 5% lower than it had been reading. So about 35% is what I'm at.

I have an appt for them to come out and check the pressure and also likely replace the gauge since it seems faulty.

I also now have a mobile RV tech coming tomorrow to do some basic maintenance items like cleaning the air conditioner, check roof, and check the stove issue.

Quote Originally Posted by DougW9876 View Post
    If I understand correctly, all your other propane things are working fine, just one burner on the stove is not. That would indicate something to do with that burner, the first place I would look would be the orifice inside the top of the stove on the backside of the burner control. There is a very, very small hole in it which is where the propane comes out to the burner, it may be plugged or just dirty and that would cause your problem. Also have a good look into the tube that runs from the control knob to the burner, there could be something that got in there and is messing with the flow of propane to the burner.
    I wish I could but I've not been able to figure out how to open the stove top to clean under there. I have a tech coming tomorrow to troubleshoot it.

Thank you both for your quick replies.