User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyStar View Post
    Thank you all for this advice. No leaks yet but I want to be ready as a 4 month trip is coming up. Purchased the tools, some PEX tubing and a bunch of fittings. Hope I won’t need them. Also installed 3 water alarms.
    Same thing I have done. I have crimpers, cut off tool, and six each of tees, elbows, straights, then a couple 4' lengths of blue and red pex.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found a worm gear clamp works as a backup to a pex clamp. Neither is ideal on flex but the combo is good enough, so far!
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLight View Post
    I've found a worm gear clamp works as a backup to a pex clamp. Neither is ideal on flex but the combo is good enough, so far!
    Using a hair dryer to heat the flex hose before using a clamp has worked for my friend and I.
    Dutch & Marlene
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali 6.0L gasser
    2022 Reflection 280RS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for this advice. No leaks yet but I want to be ready as a 4 month trip is coming up. Purchased the tools, some PEX tubing and a bunch of fittings. Hope I won’t need them. Also installed 3 water alarms.
    I am interested in the water alarm idea! Please provide more details! What devices do you use, etc.
    U.S. Navy Retired
    2022 F450 DRW CC LB Platinum PS 6.7
    2021 Momentum 397TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PEX fittings on flex hose

Quote Originally Posted by BirdmanG View Post
    Does anyone have a "complete" diagram of the nautilus system?

I just developed the dreaded flex-to-pex leak. As you guessed it when I finished fixing the ONE leak, I turned the water back on and now have 7 or so more to fix that were not there originally. It's really really tough to get in that space. :-(

Thanks,
    I haven't had any issues with soft hose on the PEX connectors. I have worked with all kinds of PEX and I suggest you try some simple things before anything else. Make sure the PEX cinch tool is calibrated properly to make a tight fitting. Make sure the pinch clamp is located over the ridges on the PEX fitting to ensure no leaks. You can try 2 cinch rings on the same fitting, if necessary.

Note: Do not use Push to fit fittings like shark bite on flexible hose because they only work on rigid pipe.
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPS® Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dfowens View Post
    I am interested in the water alarm idea! Please provide more details! What devices do you use, etc.
    I use this one:

Instapark Water Leakage Detection Alarm and Sensor, Low Battery Alert Pack of 3 https://a.co/d/hruJcUe
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use this one:

Instapark Water Leakage Detection Alarm and Sensor, Low Battery Alert Pack of 3 https://a.co/d/hruJcUe
    We use those as well. One behind the nautilus panel ,one under kitchen sink, 3rd one is a spare.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @FlyStar @Stephen@147
    Did you test those alarms to see how much water sets them off? Is there something like a resistive pad on the bottom that needs to get wet?
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    @FlyStar @Stephen@147
    Did you test those alarms to see how much water sets them off? Is there something like a resistive pad on the bottom that needs to get wet?
    Water Leak Alarms

As you see in the picture, the probe snaps onto the little platform with double sided foam tape to mount it where you want it. The probe acts like a switch, there are metal strips inside the probe all the way to the tip of the probe, water on the probe between the metal strips makes the switch and turns on the alarm. The depth of the probe mounting foam and platform is a little over 1/8 inch thick together so it would not take much water to touch the probe and short the contacts together. the sensor will also beep if the 9v battery gets low.

However all that said, it most likely will not detect a very slow drip and the leak would have to be dripping for a long time to get enough water (1/8 inch deep) to set off the alarm, unless it was dripping right on the probe. Now the basement wall panel that covers the side of the nautilus panel, I cut that panel into two pieces, hinged it and made a door thats about 24 inches wide. I don't have to pull the whole basement wall to inspect behind the nautilus panel, just open the door and check for slow drips.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4031.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven@147; 10-23-2022 at 06:54 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    As you see in the picture, the probe snaps onto the little platform with double sided foam tape to mount it where you want it. The probe acts like a switch, there are metal strips inside the probe, water on the probe between the metal strips makes the switch and turns on the alarm. The depth of the probe mounting foam and platform is a little over 1/8 inch thick together so it would not take much water to touch the probe and short the contacts together. the sensor will also beep if the 9v battery gets low.
    This is exactly what I use. The alarm is LOUD! When I had the leak from the back of my Nautilus panel at three flex hose connections, it was screaming. The floor wasn't flooded, thankfully but, where I put the sensor plate, it detected that minute amount of water. I slide the sensor plate under the bottom of the Nautilus panel so the sensor is as close to the floor as possible. You do have to open it and pull the battery to get it to shut off quickly, or remove the sensor and dry it out. I elected to remove the battery. Also, since the wet bay is under the bedroom slide, I have a funny feeling that the alarm will wake us up if it ever goes off in the middle of the night.

As an aside, I heard the alarm, with lots of street noise, when we stopped at the RV park we are staying in currently. I walked by the wet bay for, heard the alarm and wondered what the sound was. I opened the door (big mistake without hearing protection! I jest, but it's LOUD!) and checked the floor just outside of the panel and it was dry. My immediate first thought was the dreaded flex hose leak and when I opened the door I made to access the back of the Nautilus panel, sure enough, there was some water down there. I pulled the battery, went in and signed in, parked, went to Home Depot and bought over $200 of PEX fittings, clamps, the tools, and 10' of tubing. Replaced the Tee and threaded connectors that the flex hose was leaking at then spent most of my time getting the crimp rings on to the flex hose ends that were to long to replace that night.

I did replace the short pieces of flex hose with the ridged PEX, but I think that clamping the flex hose to the brass barbed fittings is a good temporary fix until I have the time to replace all of the flex hose with the ridged PEX.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast