Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slide topper

Hey gang,

2022 2500RL, wondering if anyone has installed a topper over the slide out (drivers side). Our previous Forest River Class C had one over the slide out and wish this unit had one as well

Been camping in the Pacific North West and between the leaves, pine needles and the water... the inside is a mess after we travel

Hoping a topper will help

Rick
    Last edited by Toy4Rick; 10-30-2022 at 12:23 PM.
    2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    2022 Imagine 2500RL

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've installed them on our 351M, and I don't imagine it's much different on anything else, as long as you have room to mount the rail. Smaller slides like the bedroom are easy-peasy, pretty much a one person job. I wouldn't have a trailer without them.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I've installed them on our 351M, and I don't imagine it's much different on anything else, as long as you have room to mount the rail. Smaller slides like the bedroom are easy-peasy, pretty much a one person job. I wouldn't have a trailer without them.
    I installed one on our 2600RB. Like HF said above, it's not a big deal to install. Ours was a 2 person job because it was 12 feet long. It took 2 of us to get it into the track.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the encouragement... I'm sure it's within my wheelhouse

I see on Amazon they only sell the older style, the new style only seems to be available via Lippert directly

I'll order one up once we get him mid Nov

Rick
    2022 Imagine 2500RL

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, didn't take long to make the decision, won't be doing any more camping until I get a slide topper installed.

Dumb me, I thought the seals would brush off any pine needles, leaves and such when pulling the slide in.... NOPE

Pulled into North Bonneville WA at my brothers to find a ton of water coming into the mid bath area, ended up finding 2" of pine needles on top of the slide out, on the inside that was holding the seal up away from the slide roof. On the outside, both seals were also full of needles.

What a freaking mess. Took me nearly an hour to get all the needles cleaned up, water mopped up in the bathroom and kitchen area and outside seals/rain gutters cleaned in the pouring rain

Guess it's how we learn
    Rick
    2022 Imagine 2500RL

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, pine trees and oak trees, and any tree in the fall.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toy4Rick View Post
    Well, didn't take long to make the decision, won't be doing any more camping until I get a slide topper installed.

Dumb me, I thought the seals would brush off any pine needles, leaves and such when pulling the slide in.... NOPE

Pulled into North Bonneville WA at my brothers to find a ton of water coming into the mid bath area, ended up finding 2" of pine needles on top of the slide out, on the inside that was holding the seal up away from the slide roof. On the outside, both seals were also full of needles.

What a freaking mess. Took me nearly an hour to get all the needles cleaned up, water mopped up in the bathroom and kitchen area and outside seals/rain gutters cleaned in the pouring rain

Guess it's how we learn
    Rick
    Our previous Reflection 337 (first 4-1/2 years of full-timing) didn't have slide toppers. When we stayed places with trees, I always got on the roof with a broom before pulling the slides in. One morning we were delayed two hours because a thin sheet of ice had been deposited on the roof and slides by a front that moved through during the night. That meant climbing a ladder with buckets (a collapsible bucket, no less) of warm water to melt things so we could push the slush off. Not a fun morning before a very long travel day. Since I'm not getting any younger, Laura insisted that we order slide toppers on the Solitude. She doesn't like me getting up on the roof (which I still have to do for other things from time to time, anyway).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob, never thought about ice on the slide out...
    2022 Imagine 2500RL

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And don’t forget the biggest thing toppers protect. You! Keeps you off the roof to clean off the collection of debris. Much safer.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Installing a slide topper was one of the first upgrades I had done after taking delivery of the trailer. I have seen suggestions from others about carrying a battery powered leaf blower to clean the derbies from the slide roof. I thought that was a pretty good idea, but I had not considered ice accumulation like @Second Chance pointed out, probably because we are allergic to cold weather! Thanks, Rob.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast