User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

29g factory solar option/build questions

Greetings group.

After going back and forth a dozen times, we're back on the 29g. It fits how we travel/camp and even better our budget better than going to a 5th wheel. I'm going to order without the Onan because in 5 years with our rockwood we've used a generator exactly once. For the price of the Onan I feel I can get a 3500-4500w portable generator, a couple lithium batteries, and solar for about the same amount of money. The solar would come in handy when traveling to keep the 12v fridge running while on the road. I sent an email to GD to inquire about the differences between the 2 solar packages they offer and they literally responded with the exact same content from the website. No help.

Most of the builds that I see online are made for people that want to be off the grid for days/weeks at a time. That's not what we do. We dry camp a lot but always have power where we go, and when we travel I want full hookups or at least electric and water.

This is what I'm wanting to do: I want to be able to run a 12v fridge for a few hours before a departure, and while on the road. I'm looking at taking a trip out west and would like to be able to do an overnight at a hotel (I have lots of points for free nights and don't want to mess with the camper on long travel days) keeping the food in the fridge cold without running a generator. I'd like to be able to run the microwave for a minute while on the road if we stop somewhere for lunch, and possibly boondock for a night or two and not worry about using the furnace.

So I ask the group, would you order a trailer with one of the factory options for this use? Or, would you build it yourself and what components would you use?

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could be wrong, but I thought models with 12v compressor type fridges come with a small solar panel. I'd go with that and add on myself. We just ordered a 398 and skipped solar, if we want solar I prefer to add it myself, although I did get the Onan generator.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe @FT4NOW is correct - travel trailers that come with the 12VDC compressor fridges come with 150 watt solar panels and an MPPT controller. How long you want to go without shore power will determine how many LiFePO4 batteries you need and whether or not you want more than 150 watts of solar. It's not apples-to-apples, but two 100AH LiFePO4 batteries will run our residential (120VAC) fridge for about 24 hours without sun. I added two more batteries which should get us through a two-day power outage without sun - and longer if Mr. Sunshine hits the 300 watt panel on the roof.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015