User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Running Overweight with MORryde IS

I have an appointment to get the 8K MORryde Independent Suspension. My RV is a Momentum 351MS-R and with no water and no toy, I am 600 overweight. I plan on carrying a golf cart (with lithium batteries) that is about 900 pounds. I expect to be at least 1,500 pounds overweight going down the road.

When we first weighed the RV, we were 1,900 lbs over (with no toy), and each axle was just at 8,000 lbs. I was able to get rid of a bunch of unnecessary stuff which got us down to around 600 lbs over.

I would love to be able to get underweight, but I do not think that is possible. This RV has a residential refrigerator, generator, washer/dryer, 3rd AC, and full body paint that are eating up most of the available weight. By the time we add food, kitchen stuff, and clothes... well like I said, no hope. BTW: We are full-timers and need clothes for all four seasons. Needless to say, we are not packed for a weekend trip.

I guess the question is, which suspension will handle the weight better, the MORryde IS or my current 8K axles (with disk brakes)?

Thanks
    -B
    Fulltime RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon JKU - Harley FLTRU
    2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS
    Also considering a Polaris General XP 1000 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure the consensus is not to go over weight, but as you stated, you're probably unable to accomplish more weight loss. My initial thought would be the Morryde IS would be better, but maybe you should call Morryde. Does Morryde weigh the RV before putting on the IS? If they do a pre-weigh, maybe it's not an issue if they can put on a suspension designed for your weight.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post
    I have an appointment to get the 8K MORryde Independent Suspension. My RV is a Momentum 351MS-R and with no water and no toy, I am 600 overweight. I plan on carrying a golf cart (with lithium batteries) that is about 900 pounds. I expect to be at least 1,500 pounds overweight going down the road.

When we first weighed the RV, we were 1,900 lbs over (with no toy), and each axle was just at 8,000 lbs. I was able to get rid of a bunch of unnecessary stuff which got us down to around 600 lbs over.

I would love to be able to get underweight, but I do not think that is possible. This RV has a residential refrigerator, generator, washer/dryer, 3rd AC, and full body paint that are eating up most of the available weight. By the time we add food, kitchen stuff, and clothes... well like I said, no hope. BTW: We are full-timers and need clothes for all four seasons. Needless to say, we are not packed for a weekend trip.

I guess the question is, which suspension will handle the weight better, the MORryde IS or my current 8K axles (with disk brakes)?

Thanks
    -B
    Both are rated the same. Both should be capable.
    If you want the IS, get it, but I don't think your criteria for the decision should ride on weight carrying ability

On Edit: Technically whichever weighs more which I think is the IS would give you less carrying capacity according to the scales.[/I]
    Last edited by huntindog; 12-17-2022 at 05:49 AM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post

On Edit: Technically whichever weighs more which I think is the IS would give you less carrying capacity according to the scales.
    I'm less concerned about the scale weight than doing damage to the frame. I spoke to MORryde, they said to not run overweight (as they should). They also said that the IS weighs more. That does not concern me because the frame is not carrying that weight.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm less concerned about the scale weight than doing damage to the frame. I spoke to MORryde, they said to not run overweight (as they should). They also said that the IS weighs more. That does not concern me because the frame is not carrying that weight.
    Yes, thats why I said technically. As for which is easier on the frame.... I think the IS will ride better, But I am pretty sure the weight will be spread along a longer length of the frame with leaf springs. Dealers choice.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the payload according to your sticker?
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience has been that IS is much smoother going down the road, but not as well suited for unlevel terrain. I have never used IS on a 5th wheel - my cargo trailer has Dexter axles. I use it to tow my vintage Jeep and get into some tough places with it. The IS has more difficulty transferring the load between the two axles as witnessed by the squat in the tires. If you stay on relatively flat surfaces, IS is probably the way to go. If not, I think standard axles are a better answer.
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder
    YouTube Chanel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just some wild suggestions... Replace the residential fridge with a 12v compressor fridge, they weight quite a bit less and are available in pretty good sizes. If you have a washer and dryer, consider a combo unit. The combos generally take longer to dry but weight less. Just because your full time, doe not mean you need to drag around a multi-season wardrobe and toys. Consider establishing a storage location you can visit every so often in your travels as the seasons change. reduce the number and type of furniture you carry? are heavy theater seats better than foam based alternatives? Still using lead acid batteries? lithium is lighter. That hundred pound plus inverter you needed for the residential fridge may be albe to be downsized in you 86 that fridge.

And if you just getting IS because you think it will help you carry extra weight (it won't) you can save that cash for other projects.

Just a few ideas for you.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    -B
    We have almost exactly the same scenario. We have a ‘21 380 FL-R. It’s also a tandem axle trailer with a GVWR of 16,800. Our ‘as built’ weight is 15,570. Which only leaves a paltry 1,230 lbs of payload (not at all reasonable for someone who wants to spend months at a time living in their unit). We added 1,400 watts of solar, a big 48V LFP bank and a washer/dryer… so that burned up a sizable portion of our payload right away. Here’s where we are now:

Loaded (with about 40 gal of fresh water) our weights were recently as follows:

Front axle of truck: 5,080 lb
    Drive axle of truck: 7,800 lb
    Pin Weight: 3,550 lb (calculated from weighs with/without trailer)
    Trailer Axle(s): 16,380 lb
    GCWR: 29,260 lb

This makes the trailer GW a little under 20K. Like you, we have the Res fridge and a combo Washer/Dryer in the back. We can shed a few pounds (who can’t) and we can travel with less water (we will/do). But we’ll still be over the GVWR limit of 16,800 published by Grand Design. So here’s my reasoning why I don’t worry about it:

We’ve done the following upgrades:

- 8K Morryde IS and disc brakes
    - Morryde rubber pin box
    - Upgraded to Boar 19.5 wheels/tires (LRH Michelin commercial tires)
    - Hensley Trailer-Saver BD5 suspended hitch

1). The Morryde IS is legit. It’s significantly overbuilt (I spoke with one of their tech’s specifically about the design and testing and weight ratings of the IS). It does an amazing job isolating road shock and significantly reduces impact impulses to the frame and build structure of the trailer.

2). The wheels/tires we selected are about 125 lbs each (500 lbs total). They’re a massive commercial couple with a long proven track record. This is NOT ‘sprung’ weight and does NOT load the axles (or the frame).

3). Our coach uses the same Lippert frame construction (12’ I-beam and 10’ drop frame) as the big Momentum 20K GVWR trailers. The difference is the number of axles (3 vs. 2) on these big TH’s.

4). The suspended BD5 hitch significantly (and I mean it’s a stark improvement) reduces road shock and impulse loads from crappy roads. We also have air bags on the truck which further dampens impulse load.

5). We load our trailer to keep the pin weight under 4K lbs (which is well within the recommended pin weight ranges for a 20K GVWR trailer (even within the range for a 16,800 trailer)

When you back out the weight (500 lbs) of wheels/tire, our effective axle(s) run weight is at/below 8K and we’ve done many things to mitigate impulse loading which contributes to long-term structure fatigue.

That said, I’m sure there will be plenty of people eager to tell me that I’m a menace to society (and that’s fine… Maybe I am.

I’m a pretty conservative person and (after a 30 year career in Aerospace/Mechanical design/testing/manufacturing) know a bit about Statics/Dynamics. I’m confident that I’ve engaged the appropriate diligence to operate our equipment safely without adverse longer term effects.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it (unless someone convinces me otherwise
    2021 Solitude 380FL (Morryde IS)
    2022 F-450
    Hensley BD-5F

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    -B
    Why not have Morryde install 9k axles if you are worried about weight? When we had our IS installed, another customer with a DRV Mobil Suites unit was there because he kept breaking the rubber bushings on the suspensions. His unit was 23k, 9k on each axle and 5k on the pin by scale. They upgraded the rubber bushings to 9k to fix the problem. Morryde IS is stock on DRV units.
    2018 Reflection 303rls, MORryde IS
    2017 Ford F-350 CC SB SRW 6.7L Diesel
    Blue Ox Super Ride hitch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast