User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been reading this thread and will add my 2 Canadian cents which is only worth 1.5 cents US now. LOL
    To the OP, you've received lots of great info and I also see what you are trying to do. Who would want to waste 3 x 50ah lifepo4. Right.
    I ordered my lifepo4 cells (yet to arrive) and as a first step, it will simply be a drop in replacement to my LA. Yes I know it wont get charged up to 100% but I do have a portable lithium charger for that.
    Anyway, my first goal is to increase the DC capacity (cells are 305ah) so that I wont worry about the furnace running out in the middle of the night and also boondock more then 2 days without worrying to much on running out of DC. I'm also thinking of adding a smaller inverter for now so that we could use the TV, use/charge up some small electronic device.... But in our case, a 1000w maybe even smaller would do with 1 dedicated plug that I would add (not modify what is existing). Another option that I'm contemplating for the inverter is simply building a "solar generator" or "power pack" for now. Using a different battery. This is something that you could do with your 3 x 50ah batteries for now. Just another option to think about.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Watts are watts. Power in is always higher than power out due to inefficiency in the inverter. You can roughly figure the current at 12V is 10 times the AC output current, so to get your 16A AC, 1920W output you’ll need roughly 175 input amps from the battery to cover inefficiency in the inverter.
    I understand the theory...I get it. What am I am saying is that when I do the math the 150AH of DC would be more than enough for my needs. This will give me 10A (1200W) for continual 1.5 hours which I cannot imagine using. I am not looking to achieve full 2000W at a given time and I'm not trying to live off grid. As I've mentioned, I have a couple gensets to help my AC needs if I need to crank my AC.
    The bottom, as I stated is I am trying to utilize what I have on hand and only am looking to operate my electric chairs and my 120V electronics simply with the 5 batteries I currently own. Shouldn't this setup run my chairs and TV for weeks and a coffee pot in the morning for a few days? To me this is an easy add on for my needs. Simply add an inverter and a transfer switch and away I go. You guys seem to think I am overlooking something or expecting more than what I will get. Not arguing with you all...just want specifics? Thanks

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Been reading this thread and will add my 2 Canadian cents which is only worth 1.5 cents US now. LOL
    To the OP, you've received lots of great info and I also see what you are trying to do. Who would want to waste 3 x 50ah lifepo4. Right.
    I ordered my lifepo4 cells (yet to arrive) and as a first step, it will simply be a drop in replacement to my LA. Yes I know it wont get charged up to 100% but I do have a portable lithium charger for that.
    Anyway, my first goal is to increase the DC capacity (cells are 305ah) so that I wont worry about the furnace running out in the middle of the night and also boondock more then 2 days without worrying to much on running out of DC. I'm also thinking of adding a smaller inverter for now so that we could use the TV, use/charge up some small electronic device.... But in our case, a 1000w maybe even smaller would do with 1 dedicated plug that I would add (not modify what is existing). Another option that I'm contemplating for the inverter is simply building a "solar generator" or "power pack" for now. Using a different battery. This is something that you could do with your 3 x 50ah batteries for now. Just another option to think about.
    Yeah...I was going to just feed my electric chair outlet only with my inverter but I figure I will run feed all my outlets since it may come in handy once in a while. I already have a lithium charger so it seems to be a pretty easy mod. My main concern is where to install the batteries.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
    I understand the theory...I get it. What am I am saying is that when I do the math the 150AH of DC would be more than enough for my needs. This will give me 10A (1200W) for continual 1.5 hours which I cannot imagine using. I am not looking to achieve full 2000W at a given time and I'm not trying to live off grid. As I've mentioned, I have a couple gensets to help my AC needs if I need to crank my AC.
    The bottom, as I stated is I am trying to utilize what I have on hand and only am looking to operate my electric chairs and my 120V electronics simply with the 5 batteries I currently own. Shouldn't this setup run my chairs and TV for weeks and a coffee pot in the morning for a few days? To me this is an easy add on for my needs. Simply add an inverter and a transfer switch and away I go. You guys seem to think I am overlooking something or expecting more than what I will get. Not arguing with you all...just want specifics? Thanks
    The inverter you are looking at will not do it. If it really was capable of the 2000 watts it would need to draw over 167 amps from the batteries. Probably be more like the 175 another poster stated due to the power the inverter consumes. That many amps going thru the 5 Ga wire would be pretty spectacular , and would start a fire real easy. Also you would likely only have 150 amps available from those 3 batteries.
    Even the 1200watts you now saying isn't possible, as it would be over 100 amps. That 5ga wire can only support 900 watts with a 75 amp draw at best.

You seem to be focussed on the output of the inverter, and not considering the input that the output will require.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have 3 50ah batteries. Do you know the actual discharge rate of those batteries? They may not be rated for a 50amp continuous draw, there is a very real chance that they are only rated for a 25 amp draw. This would result in you only being able to draw 75 amps total, not enough to run your Inverter.

The other thing to consider is that an Inverter that is larger than your needs will waste energy because it is designed to run efficiently at it's rated Watts, if your load is consistently low, a 2,000 Watt Inverter may not be the best choice. You might consider a 1,000 or 1,500 Watt inverter instead.

Again I mention that you will need to use a Buss Bar installation system when installing these batteries versus a "Daisy Chain" type installation (see the attached document for specific reasons why).

PS: I included a photo of the type of Buss Bars I am talking about (one buss bar for positive and one for negative).

Research report on paralleling batteries:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Parallel Battery Wiring.pdf   81yMvCyIUXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg  
    Last edited by SolarPoweredRV; 01-04-2023 at 02:43 PM.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah...I was going to just feed my electric chair outlet only with my inverter but I figure I will run feed all my outlets since it may come in handy once in a while. I already have a lithium charger so it seems to be a pretty easy mod. My main concern is where to install the batteries.
    Install your Lithium batteries inside, where it is warm, under the bed or dinette or in the bottom of a closet. Lithium batteries can not be charged if they are below freezing.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    You have 3 50ah batteries. Do you know the actual discharge rate of those batteries? They may not be rated for a 50amp continuous draw, there is a very real chance that they are only rated for a 25 amp draw. This would result in you only being able to draw 75 amps total, not enough to run your Inverter.

The other thing to consider is that an Inverter that is larger than your needs will waste energy because it is designed to run efficiently at it's rated Watts, if your load is consistently low, a 2,000 Watt Inverter may not be the best choice. You might consider a 1,000 or 1,500 Watt inverter instead.

Again I mention that you will need to use a Buss Bar installation system when installing these batteries versus a "Daisy Chain" type installation (see the attached document for specific reasons why).

PS: I included a photo of the type of Buss Bars I am talking about (one buss bar for positive and one for negative).

Research report on paralleling batteries:
    Yes...they are continuous true 50ah batteries. I use them for my GPS trolling motor on my boat where they will constantly put out 50amps at 36V in series which is 1800 W for an hour or more. No issues and they charge from my outboard alternator on way home.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Install your Lithium batteries inside, where it is warm, under the bed or dinette or in the bottom of a closet. Lithium batteries can not be charged if they are below freezing.
    Thanks. Under the bed may work for me.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to say but a year ago I got my 2000watt renogy off Amazon for 225$ plus tax do I think he’s in the ballpark.

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
    I hate to say but a year ago I got my 2000watt renogy off Amazon for 225$ plus tax do I think he’s in the ballpark.
    That is a much better, well-known brand with pretty close to the right size cable out of the box. I would just be a little heavier if I were running 150amps + continuous, but 4awg x 2 is far better. It is under his budget and can be wired in via terminal block.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast