User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kind of agree. The Tucson run is a two day drive. If the new tire is suffering after the first day I can put on the spare. After day one.

If I ruin my new tire that will be the cost of not being comfortable with running the old tire or the Westlake spare.

$220 each out the door. Not too bad for California. Also replaced crappy clad lug nuts with solid metal ones. Greased suspension and inspected springs and axles. Springs look pretty flat to me. But not totally flat. Axles have no obvious issues.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bearings were all good. No excessive endplay and the brakes just barely scratching. Good day here, 69 deg and no wind for a change. A break in the atmospheric river.

Nothing quite like new tires.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2933.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	44420

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Were they able to balance the lug-centric wheels?

Will be interesting to hear what the final analysis is of the odd tire wear.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toolman.dustin View Post
    My two cents,

I think I would put the Westlake on and troubleshoot at home. However, I'm pretty obsessive so I'd also start checking the following items.
    You could quickly check alignment with a long string and compare the distance from the front of the ball to the front of each tire. Compare left tires to right tires.

A badly out of balance or out of round tire will cause checking. If it was real bad the bounce could translate to the axle and cause some checking on other tires.

A broken leaf in a leaf spring could cause this. Look for cracks.

Lastly, what are your axle load ratings and what does your trailer weigh loaded? If your trailer weight is close to the axle load ratings the entire trailer might be bouncing up and down due to axle flexing and this would cause checking on the inside edges of the tires. (Not your particular problem)

Lastly, look are the axles viewed from the front or back. The center of the axle should be about 3/4" higher than the ends of the axles. In other words, bowed up in the center. It's possible, not likely, that one of the axles was installed up side down.

Afterthought, I don't know what would happen if one of the shackles was flipped but I think it would show up on tire ware.

Best of luck, be safe,
    Dustin

[
    A flipped shackle will right itself. I've had it happen a number of times. It's no big deal.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well. They were mounted and balanced. I didn’t talk to them about lug centric. Hmm. Hope they are OK.

I’m sure I’m running close to max weight but have not been on the scales.

No cracks in springs. But they look almost but not quite flat. To me.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyStar View Post
    Well. They were mounted and balanced. I didn’t talk to them about lug centric. Hmm. Hope they are OK.

I’m sure I’m running close to max weight but have not been on the scales.

No cracks in springs. But they look almost but not quite flat. To me.
    With an 11,400# weight and 5,200# axles you are very likely over the max for the axles/springs. Doing an alignment with worn components is a waste of time/money.
    When you end up replacing them later, you will need another alignment.
    FWIW. My previous 11,400# Sabre had 5,200# axles/springs. When I started having problems, I upgraded to 7,000# axle/springs. That was the solution.
    Last edited by huntindog; 01-12-2023 at 03:54 AM.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post

When you end up replacing them later, you will need another alignment.
    Why do you think that? I agree with you if it was the steering end of a car or truck, but I don't see it with trailer suspension.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Why do you think that? I agree with you if it was the steering end of a car or truck, but I don't see it with trailer suspension.
    Here is a link to more than you ever wanted to know:https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...pging/1/page/1

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Here is a link to more than you ever wanted to know:https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...pging/1/page/1
    hdog. Thanks for that link. Cemented my thinking to not attempt this myself. Especially while 3000 miles from home base. Will post more on new tire wear as I roll toward Tucson next week and have a discussion with Professional Trailer Services (spring and axle shop) when I get there. I have a feeling this may be expensive. Because, if the springs need replacing it may mushroom into springs, axles, brakes, new cre3000 units, new wet bolt bushings …. We shall see. Thanks again to all those that have helped here. If I go this route I’ll for sure upgrade to at least 6000 lb axles.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyStar View Post
    hdog. Thanks for that link. Cemented my thinking to not attempt this myself. Especially while 3000 miles from home base. Will post more on new tire wear as I roll toward Tucson next week and have a discussion with Professional Trailer Services (spring and axle shop) when I get there. I have a feeling this may be expensive. Because, if the springs need replacing it may mushroom into springs, axles, brakes, new cre3000 units, new wet bolt bushings …. We shall see. Thanks again to all those that have helped here. If I go this route I’ll for sure upgrade to at least 6000 lb axles.
    I forget exactly why I went from 5200 to7000 on the Sabre. But I think, the 7000 had the heavy wall tube, larger bearings and larger brakes.. But it had the same 6 lug bolt pattern. IOW, it was the strongest option that was basically plug and play. The price difference was minimal.
    I installed the 6K Trail Aire equalizer, and the Never Fail bushings all at once. That setup was bullet proof.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast