User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rrlowen View Post
    I keep ours in the truck bed as well, and it's electric/remote start which should make it easy to use if you keep it plugged in to the 5er.
    BUT, the mfg. says that you should not start the generator when plugged in because it could damage the generator.
    That makes the remote start sorta useless.
    Have you had any problems using it plugged in?
    Maybe your generator doesn't have this issue. Mine is a Cummins/Onan 4500 inverter generator.
    Awesome. Yeah I have not had any issues with my setup at all. I've been using it now for nearly five years and have added like 200 hours to my generator run time with the setup I described. It's important to note though that I have a wired EMS also on board so my generator can easily start with no load. The EMS monitors the power specifics and after about 60 seconds, the relays click and the generator is powering the camper. I would highly recommend that EMS anyway and then that solves your generator concern as noted.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BUT, the mfg. says that you should not start the generator when plugged in because it could damage the generator.
    You can open the main breaker inside the RV prior to starting the generator; once the generator is up to full speed, shut the breakers and you'll have power without having to go outside.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    You can open the main breaker inside the RV prior to starting the generator; once the generator is up to full speed, shut the breakers and you'll have power without having to go outside.
    That is also an option but one that's highly inconvenient when laying in your bed and needing to start the generator. Lol. In my proposed scenario, I can hit the generator remote any time and not worry about extra tasks to do. The EMS does it's thing and the generator is none the wiser. It's super easy and simple. It's a good idea to have a surge protector/EMS anyway....IMHO.
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a real nice set up with the EMS, I'll definitely be looking into that as well.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep ours in the truck bed as well, and it's electric/remote start which should make it easy to use if you keep it plugged in to the 5er.
    That makes the remote start sorta useless.
    Have you had any problems using it plugged in?
    Maybe your generator doesn't have this issue. Mine is a Cummins/Onan 4500 inverter generator.
    We have the remote start and love that feature, we also keep ours in the truck bed, plugged in. I have the pedestal EMS locked to my cord so it gets plugged into the geny. I've never had an issue is 3 years but our geny will start and get its RPM up before taking the load. Not sure if yours is like that or if that makes a difference. I even check the tailgate closed until I'm ready to run the geny. Then remote open the tailgate and remote start the geny. Perfect for those cold mornings. I just sit the tonneau cover on the cord while the tailgate is closed.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    We have the remote start and love that feature, we also keep ours in the truck bed, plugged in. I have the pedestal EMS locked to my cord so it gets plugged into the geny. I've never had an issue is 3 years but our geny will start and get its RPM up before taking the load. Not sure if yours is like that or if that makes a difference. I even check the tailgate closed until I'm ready to run the geny. Then remote open the tailgate and remote start the geny. Perfect for those cold mornings. I just sit the tonneau cover on the cord while the tailgate is closed.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will get the built-in EMS to protect the generator.
    Which one do you have?
    2021 Reflection 303rls
    2021 GMC 3500HD AT4 4X4 Duramax Standard Box
    2021 B&W Companion

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COGrandDes View Post
    Awesome. Yeah I have not had any issues with my setup at all. I've been using it now for nearly five years and have added like 200 hours to my generator run time with the setup I described. It's important to note though that I have a wired EMS also on board so my generator can easily start with no load. The EMS monitors the power specifics and after about 60 seconds, the relays click and the generator is powering the camper. I would highly recommend that EMS anyway and then that solves your generator concern as noted.
    Which built-in EMS do you have? I assume it works just as well with a 30A feed from the generator, correct?
    2021 Reflection 303rls
    2021 GMC 3500HD AT4 4X4 Duramax Standard Box
    2021 B&W Companion

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which built-in EMS do you have? I assume it works just as well with a 30A feed from the generator, correct?
    I have the Progressive Industries 50A RV Surge Protector with remote. Here is the link for reference. https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I...003AN1UA8?th=1

I do have a Yamaha 6300iSDE generator so my output is 50A and I can run everything in the camper from the generator but that shouldn't matter for you and your configuration. It should work great!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will get the built-in EMS to protect the generator.
    Which one do you have?
    Progressive Industry 30a pedestal.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123