User Tag List

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Golf cart shocks/springs question(s)

Hello fellow GD folks-

off topic question from golf cart owners please. I have a 2017 Ezgo TXT that my youngest daughter and I customized. It’s not ride height, custom wheels, stereo and subwoofer , led unbody lights and full headlight tail light package. My daughter LOVES it, so swapping it out now is not an option .

I was seeing some abnormal tire wear in the fronts and realized the stock shocks were shot. Swapped them with some coil over heavier duty. They are pretty stiff and while it corners better it’s like a dump truck . The rear didn’t have any shocks on it. So I put the same coil overs on the rear and it corners better and travels in the TH better, but without a major heavy load it’s like there are no shocks no cushion…

I recently swapped the rear leaf springs because they were shot too. I put better springs on it.

my question… should I take the rear shocks off and just roll with the new springs to get a better ride? I feel like that’s the answer but taking them off is time consuming and I have to remove the body and rear seats, roof, foot rest etc.

anyone have any suggestions I’m all ears. Ideally I would swap it for a newer cart with newer tech, my daughter is just not there yet, but time will tell.

thanks in advance
    2023 Momentum 397TH w/Gen3 Goosebox
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 F-450 Limited PowerStroke

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey @msutoad, you might have better luck on a golf cart forum.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Hey @msutoad, you might have better luck on a golf cart forum.

Yeah, you are likely right, but I didnt know if people here had input with experience. Sometime the non-specific public forums are not much help, but I will try there also . Thanks for your response.

Jason

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if this helps or not. We have a 2018 Club Car that came from a golf course. We put a 6" lift on, added rear seats and I replaced the rear springs with heavy duty springs (went from single to leaf to 4 leaf) and installed new shocks (oem spec). The lift kit had relocation brackets for the shock mount to allow stock shock to work. I think it rides fine, not sure that removing the shock would make the ride better.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Not sure if this helps or not. We have a 2018 Club Car that came from a golf course. We put a 6" lift on, added rear seats and I replaced the rear springs with heavy duty springs (went from single to leaf to 4 leaf) and installed new shocks (oem spec). The lift kit had relocation brackets for the shock mount to allow stock shock to work. I think it rides fine, not sure that removing the shock would make the ride better.
    Thanks for your note. Did your club car have rear shocks also? My EZGO only had front shocks, so I added rear shocks and also changed the springs to HD ones like you stated, and I think I changed too much…

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msutoad View Post
    Thanks for your note. Did your club car have rear shocks also? My EZGO only had front shocks, so I added rear shocks and also changed the springs to HD ones like you stated, and I think I changed too much…
    Mine had shocks stock on all 4 corners. With the extra weight of passengers in the rear seats, I think the HD leaf springs are necessary.

Maybe the shocks you got have too much resistance (if that's the correct terminology). Are there softer options you could install?
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Mine had shocks stock on all 4 corners. With the extra weight of passengers in the rear seats, I think the HD leaf springs are necessary.

Maybe the shocks you got have too much resistance (if that's the correct terminology). Are there softer options you could install?
    Yeah, so mine did not have them in all 4 corners. The shocks I got are HD shocks, and yes too strong for sure. The stock shocks have “no” recoil at all, they are ONLY absorption, which means I need good springs in the rear which I have now, so i will try putting OEM rears on to see if that works since I have the right springs …. I cant use the OEM fronts because the front spring design with the load I have. Your info is helpful, THANK YOU!!